Journey Logging on the TomTom Curfer

GnatsGnats Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 17 in TomTom Curfer
I am off on holiday Tuesday, I am dropping my car off at the terminal for a Parking company to park the car for me etc.
My question is will the CURFER record all there trip details including GPS or does the phone need to be connected to the device to view those details?
If not what will it record without connection to a phone?

Thanks

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,978 Superusers
    It won't record, as the Curfer has no GPS inside (and I suppose nor a storage). A phone would have to be connected.
  • 69er69er Posts: 19 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I'd want to know what airport parking are up to with my car too! The answer to your question is 'partly' yes. I am assuming that the CURFER dongle is plugged in to the vehicle's OBD port and not tampered with.

1) The CURFER dongle does have memory but no GPS to protect your privacy. In the app, the "Summary" section of data captures all the data all of the time and it does not matter if your smartphone is there or not. In fact, the CURFER dongle will store around 6 months of driving data before it's overwritten. So whilst there is no GPS you can see driving time, speed and number of trips. When you come back from holiday you need to sit in your car with your smartphone so that the data syncs before it will appear. This will give you a good idea of how many times the car has been moved (or even used!) whilst you are away.
    2) The "Tracks" section needs the smartphone to obtain GPS. If your smartphone is not present when the car is driven this section will be blank.

I hope that helps. :)
  • 69er69er Posts: 19 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Zsolt wrote:
    It won't record, as the Curfer has no GPS inside (and I suppose nor a storage)

No GPS = Correct
    Dongle Storage = Yes, it does. c. 6 months worth of driving data and it all uploads the next time the smartphone tethers to the dongle