Open Water swims - advice? — TomTom Community

Open Water swims - advice?

martinhjonesmartinhjones Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
I have found that my Multisport Cardio works great on my wrist using Freestyle and records a pretty accurate map. But when I change it to "swim" in Connect, I loose the map and get an icon. Does it have to be like this?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,516
    Superusers
    Yes, because the watch does not support open water swimming, only pool swimming. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT (and Garmin on their more recent devices). The fact that you got a pretty accurate map is unusual and most people get one that is pretty useless. What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance and a very accurate map (as it is not losing GPS on every stroke) but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • martinhjonesmartinhjones Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Yes, I understand that, but I am getting a good map, as would people towing a buoy or putting it in their caps. My issue is that if I change the activity to "swim" in Connect I loose the map, replaced by a naff icon.

The Android app however keeps it nicely.
    Superusers
    The map is a default of the activity, just like when you change from run to trail run it goes from a street map to a terrain map. These are system wide defaults and cannot be changed unfortunately.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
    No this isn't what I wanted to hear. It may be the default but it's just not right. My Tomtom Android app keeps the map: is this considered wrong?
    Superusers
    It shouldn't keep the map if it is updating from MySports, but there may be a disconnect between MySports and the app. if you change it on the app does it lose the map? Whether it is right or wrong is a moot point, it is what it is, unfortunately.
    If I change the activity type from Freestyle to Swim in the app, it retains the map (thankfully). I'm not convinced the point is moot: are you saying that others would say the map should be lost if you change Freestyle to Swim? Whilst it is what it is, I was looking for some advice/workarounds. i.e. the best way to use the watch for Open Water Swims - of which it is clearly capable. Is there a way to pass feedback to Tomtom so that they consider it on a wish list for future changes?
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0