Syncing problems persisting

Tei
Tei Registered Users Posts: 45
Outstanding Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I'd like to know if there is going to be any solution to Runner 2's syncing problems that started some months ago, and others have reported too, or should I just give up with TomTom and go back to Garmin?

As instructed in another thread, I've done factory reset to my watch, I uninstalled and reinstalled the mobile app several times, I have unpaired my watch and paired it again, I've updated my watch using TomTom Connect, and still it takes me hours(!) of retries to manage to upload my activity. The mobile app says "Up to date 5 mins ago" (it has been "5 mins ago" for an hour now.

Also why is it that a few hours after updating QuickGPS (mobile app showed that it was updating it), the watch shows it's out of date again?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Is your phone on WiFi when you try to sync? It really prefers a strong internet connection and if you are on cellular with poor coverage it will slow it and possibly even cause it to fail. I find that when I am also on WiFi it works great but definitely struggles on cellular data only at times. However, this combined with the QuickGPS failure makes me wonder if there is something deeper wrong though. At this point I would suggest calling Customer Support to see what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Tei
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Yes, my phone is on WiFi. It is the same phone, the same WiFi that used to work until a few months ago. When I turn the mobile app on, it says "Waiting for the watch". Then I do "sync" on the phone, and the app says "Preparing to sync". After this two things may happen: either, after a while the app returns to display "Up to date", or it says "Syncing activities, updating QuickGPS, tidying up" and then returns to "Up to date". In neither case, the activity is uploaded.

Actually the same happened yesterday, when I rebooted my computer to Windows and used TomTom Connect. It did all sorts of updates to the watch (including QuickGPS) and then "tidied up", but the activity was not uploaded.
  • Tei
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Are any developers reading these? Is it possible to have available the version in which syncing worked like a dream? --- I think it was before 1.6.26.

I run 5-6 times a week, and it is really a pain to upload the activities from my watch. It literally takes hour and hours, multiple attempts of pairing and syncing.
  • Arvjan
    Arvjan Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Seeker
    My sports watch (a Spark Cardio) also seems to have a syncing problem. Besides from that also the Android app also doesn't seem to work like before. I can't seem to connect by bluetooth. I rarely use the app so I don't really mind. But I really can't use my watch anymore, of course I need to be able to sync it.

It seems now that the my watch isn't really supported by the newest updates.

I kind of regret installing any updates. It seems to me the software updates weren't really tested well. What should I do now? Throw away my watch? I am not going to spend time in calling a customer's service and going through tedious technical details which I kind of have sorted out already anyway.

It doesn't seem to be possible to downgrade the firmware. Why is that? It would be the easiest way to solve the problem.
  • MER_JN
    MER_JN Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Seeker
    My Tom Tom Spark 3 used to sync fine with my phone, but in the last week it brings up the Preparing to Sync screen and freezes there. Sometimes it would sync if I shut down and restarted the phone. I've plugged the watch into my computer, and it has not updated the computer version either.
    What's up?
  • bitti
    bitti Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Traveler
    I'm having the same problem with my TomTom Adventurer and Honor 8 phone. I was told my TomTom support that these would "be solved in future updates", we'll see. As a temporary solution, at least in my case turning off bluetooth on the phone and turning it back again (without shutting down the TomTom Sports app) solves the problem for a while.