Sync watch to phone failed, activity now missing — TomTom Community

Sync watch to phone failed, activity now missing

Antonio TavantiAntonio Tavanti Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
Hi all.
I usually sync my watch (TomTom Adventurer) through my laptop. This evening though I tried to pair the watch with the mobile app and sync from there.
It did show it was syncing but then the activity couldn't be found anywhere, so the sync failed somehow.
A few minutes later I retried again on the phone (while still out) but it found nothing to sync.

Now I've just come back home and connected the watch to the laptop but apparently it finds nothing to sync there too.
Have I lost my activity for good? If so, why?
It was quite a long one, I don't know if that is the problem. If it is, it shoud be noted somewhere that syncs may fail and then be unrecoverable.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Antonio TavantiAntonio Tavanti Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Maybe I could have recovered the ttbin from the phone directories but in an attempt to re-sync the watch from a fresh app I deleted the app's data, so I guess my activity is really gone for good.

I kind of cared about this run, it had been one of the harder ones. Ultimately it is my fault if I lost it as I didn't really think about ttbin's being made in the phone.
    Something to take back home here: never care too much for the recordings. It's the activities themselves with the feelings and difficulties involved that only count.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,344
    Superusers
    The ttbins are stored on your phone but if you delete the app it deletes the ttbins as well. if you deleted the app you made the activity unrecoverable. With the ttbin you could have forced it to reload. Here are the steps if you want to double check. force MySports to reupload an activity you need to do the following:
    1. Exit MySports Connect on your computer (you must use a computer to reupload – right click on the tray icon and select Exit).
    2. Locate the ttbin files:

Apple Devices: Locate the ttbin files in iTunes:
    a. Connect your iOS device to your computer and wait for iTunes to open.
    b. Select your iOS device in the iTunes sidebar.
    c. Select the Apps tab and scroll down to File Sharing.
    d. Select MySports.
    e. The ttbin files are listed on the right hand side.
    f. Right-click (Mac: ctrl-click) a file to copy it and save it to your computer

Android Devices: In Android, the ttbin files are stored on the internal SD in (/sdcard/TomTom_MySports/[serial number of watch]/workouts/uploaded/). Copy them to your computer

3. Place the ttbin files in C:\Users\[user name]\TomTom MySports\[serial number]
    4. Restart MySports Connect and connect your watch
    5. Go the Settings page (click the gear icon on the top right) and press the 'Try again' button to re-upload the files.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Antonio TavantiAntonio Tavanti Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you tfarabaugh, mainly for two things:
    - you prompted me to search the phone file system better, and I could actually find the ttbin
    - you listed the steps to take one more time (so I didn't have to search the Web for details, such as the computer directory to put the ttbin in)

I managed to upload the activity. The ttbin was still in the phone despite me clicking the button "clear the data" (as Android says) for the TomTom app.
    So it seems it doesn't clear all the app's data in the end.

One minor thing, TomTom renamed its working folder "TomTom Sports" like it did with the app. At least that's how it is in my user folder.