Interval training pace on Spark 3

tooniron
tooniron Registered Users Posts: 6
Master Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
My first forum post, so apologies if I'm doing this wrong.

I've been very impressed with my Spark 3 (I much prefer it over my old Garmin 410). But yesterday I found my first niggle with it. I went for a training run, doing 1 mile intervals with 2 minute recovery. I was aware the watch only did basic intervals, no pyramids, etc, but that was fine with me. The plan was to run the mile intervals at around my 10k pace (6:20/mile pace(ish)), looking on the watch there didn't seem to be a way of setting a pace range - I wasn't really expecting one, I saw it as a more nice-to-have-but-not-necessary function, but I was expecting to at least see what my current interval pace was.

The current pace has too much lag, and doesn't seem all that accurate, so didn't really help, average pace doesn't help because it includes the warmup and recovery (and previous intervals).

It was good that the watch was telling me when each interval started and ended, but to be really useful it should include interval pace as a metric. I messed up my training as I went far too quickly in the first 4 intervals (~5:50/mile pace) and then overcompensated and went far too slow.

Maybe I could set it up to have 400m laps, and use the lap pace metric, and try and keep track of how many I have done (easy for the first few, but I'm sure there will be a few 1,200m intervals turning up by the end.

Is there going to be any chance that interval pace will be included in any future updates ? Or does anybody have a better of way of running intervals with this watch ?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Instant pace is a real weakness with the TT devices as you have discovered, and has been since the beginning. Since there is no interval pace, the next best thing would be doing laps like you suggested and using lap pace, but even this has a bit of a lag. The unfortunate answer is that there is no easy way to run by pace. If you have the intervals set for a distance and know the time you want to complete it in (or a time and a distance) you can sort of mentally keep track of where you are, but this is easier said than done. As to any chance of it coming, it has been a top complaint for 4 years and has not changed, so read into that what you will (I read it that the general feeling is that it does not impact a large percentage of users so they will not be changing it). In any case, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • 010runner
    010runner Registered Users Posts: 17
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    A clear and honest answer.
    Not the answer we like but it is what it is.

We will send T T a letter , in which we kindly ask them to stop saying that the watch will give you an opp to see the current pace.
    As long as they are as honest and clear of what people may expect there is no issue.
    Thanks