Battery usage for MyDrive app on the xperia phone

MagnusUMagnusU Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 30 in MyDrive and Road Trips
I have the MyDrive app installed on a Android, Sony Xperia.
Without using it it is the top consumer of battery on the phone.
Now i have to manually stop the app after every restart of the phone or after used the app.
This is not a problem when I really uses MyDrive with my GO 520 but for the days when I don't uses it and are not connected to it.
Is there a setting I have not seen or is this a known bug for MyDrive?
Version for Mydrive is v1.10.1 NC v17.1.14.10302

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi Magnus,

Welcome to the Community!

There isn't any setting in the app for auto starting, if that's what you mean. However, it shouldn't be draining your battery. I'd recommend you to reinstall the app in case something has gone wrong with the installation causing your issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • John40John40 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi I have the same problem. Ihave just bought a Via 53 and have started using the mydrive app on my android samsung s5 phone. Even if I havent used the my drive app all day it has still consumed more than 10% of the battery making it the highest consuming app. I now disable the app until I want to use it, but that is a bit tiresome. I hope this can be fixed. If the phone is not connected to the satnav and the app is not actually being used why does it need to do anything?
  • DucDuc Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi, have the same problem with Pixel 2. Very high battery consumption whilst in standby. I don't use this app everyday. Disappointed that we cannot stop and start app when required. TomTom, please adres his in future updates.
  • TT TrevTT Trev Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Without teaching either of you to suck eggs, do you normally keep "your location" or basically, the GPS inside your phone on or off. I have a Windows phone, if I keep the GPS on, it uses a considerable amount of juice from the phone, however, it puts it logs it as the last App that I used that required my location !!!

So I suppose what I am saying is, keeping Bluetooth and your phone GPS on all the time, consumes the vast majority of the battery between them, because they are constantly on and updating!!! Both putting their usage down to the last App that used them!

I don't know if any of this of any help at all. but it could be worth mentioning without it seeming that I am trying to teach to suck eggs, so I apologise if I am.
  • DucDuc Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks TT Trev,

I have various apps on my Pixel 2 which are using GPS and it would not be practical to keep turning GPS on and off all the time so as to compensate for the way Mydrive has been designed. Anyway, thank you for your comments. I just hope that the "pointy heads" will come up with a more practical solution soon.
  • AndySixAndySix Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am using a Samsung S8+ with my Go 520. Have occationally tried to use MyDrive for about a year now. But as you say it is really battery intensive. And I can not live with that as this is an app I usually just need for some of my holidays. My best workaround for now is to uninstall the app and do the complete reinstall and repairing when I (really) need it. Very far from perfect.

Would it not be possible to implement an exit function or disable switch in the app so it becomes usable? Seems to be possible in any other app. Also the MyDrive symbol on top of the screen (I am using android 8 ) should be disabled when not using the app.

Why is TomTom making this so difficult to live with when they almost made a perfect solution?
  • Bryce281Bryce281 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, and my location is off mr. Suck eggs, I am using a tomtom go 620 WiFi, I have turned off every feature notification in the app and turned off background usage, I have to have Bluetooth on because I wear a Samsung gear s3. But as someone else said to try to reinstall the app and see if it helps, so I guess I will try that, thanks.
  • Bryce281Bryce281 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    TT Trev seems to have gone awol, but I cannot figure out a solution for this problem, besides "suck eggs" is what douche bags used to say in primary school. Location is off, Bluetooth has to be on to keep connected to my samsung gear s3 watch, even though my tomtom is off, my drive still consumes 9% of batt power "450mah" when on a 3000mah battery is quite a lot.... I think I will just uninstall the app and reinstall it and if that doesn't work I will uninstall it till I need to use my tomtom... suggestions welcomed.