Battery usage for MyDrive app on the xperia phone — TomTom Community

Battery usage for MyDrive app on the xperia phone

MagnusUMagnusU Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I have the MyDrive app installed on a Android, Sony Xperia.
Without using it it is the top consumer of battery on the phone.
Now i have to manually stop the app after every restart of the phone or after used the app.
This is not a problem when I really uses MyDrive with my GO 520 but for the days when I don't uses it and are not connected to it.
Is there a setting I have not seen or is this a known bug for MyDrive?
Version for Mydrive is v1.10.1 NC v17.1.14.10302

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Magnus,

Welcome to the Community!

There isn't any setting in the app for auto starting, if that's what you mean. However, it shouldn't be draining your battery. I'd recommend you to reinstall the app in case something has gone wrong with the installation causing your issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • RheumatoidRheumatoid Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 29
    Whilst it doesn't use a lot it uses more than I think it should - 8-10% of a charge even when I haven't been using it or using the 520.

Any ideas why this is and whether it can be reduced.

I know if I disable it I will not get notifications from the phone on the 520 but will the 520 still be able to get traffic data from the phone?

R.
    Hi Rheumatoid,

That sounds like an installation issue to me. I'd recommend you to re-install the app.

Could you also mention your phone model and Android™ version, please?

Cheers, Mikko
  • RheumatoidRheumatoid Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Don't think it is. Have just done full factory reset and it does it now and was doing it before the reset.

Nexus 6 on 7.1.1
    R.
    Hi Rheumatoid,

Thanks for coming back!

I've logged this to be reported to the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • John40John40 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi I have the same problem. Ihave just bought a Via 53 and have started using the mydrive app on my android samsung s5 phone. Even if I havent used the my drive app all day it has still consumed more than 10% of the battery making it the highest consuming app. I now disable the app until I want to use it, but that is a bit tiresome. I hope this can be fixed. If the phone is not connected to the satnav and the app is not actually being used why does it need to do anything?
  • DucDuc Posts: 17 [Master Explorer]
    edited January 23
    After my recent purchase of a GO 520 and at last have it operating properly, I am now in a situation where I have noticed, with different mobiles, that the standby battery use of the app is showing very high usage. My question is this.
    Is it at all possible to simply switch the app on and off with a widget if and when required. I know that it can be done through apps manager, however, it is a bit cumbersome to do this every time.
    PS Furthermore, I could not log in on my old username "Duckster", changed it to Duc and I was able to post. Email address is still the same.....
    Hi, have the same problem with Pixel 2. Very high battery consumption whilst in standby. I don't use this app everyday. Disappointed that we cannot stop and start app when required. TomTom, please adres his in future updates.
  • TT TrevTT Trev Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Without teaching either of you to **** eggs, do you normally keep "your location" or basically, the GPS inside your phone on or off. I have a Windows phone, if I keep the GPS on, it uses a considerable amount of juice from the phone, however, it puts it logs it as the last App that I used that required my location !!!

So I suppose what I am saying is, keeping Bluetooth and your phone GPS on all the time, consumes the vast majority of the battery between them, because they are constantly on and updating!!! Both putting their usage down to the last App that used them!

I don't know if any of this of any help at all. but it could be worth mentioning without it seeming that I am trying to teach to **** eggs, so I apologise if I am.
    Thanks TT Trev,

I have various apps on my Pixel 2 which are using GPS and it would not be practical to keep turning GPS on and off all the time so as to compensate for the way Mydrive has been designed. Anyway, thank you for your comments. I just hope that the "pointy heads" will come up with a more practical solution soon.
  • AndySixAndySix Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am using a Samsung S8+ with my Go 520. Have occationally tried to use MyDrive for about a year now. But as you say it is really battery intensive. And I can not live with that as this is an app I usually just need for some of my holidays. My best workaround for now is to uninstall the app and do the complete reinstall and repairing when I (really) need it. Very far from perfect.

Would it not be possible to implement an exit function or disable switch in the app so it becomes usable? Seems to be possible in any other app. Also the MyDrive symbol on top of the screen (I am using android 8 ) should be disabled when not using the app.

Why is TomTom making this so difficult to live with when they almost made a perfect solution?
  • OzcameramanOzcameraman Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem. The MyDive app uses way too much power, even when I am not connected to my Go520. I am using a Galaxy S8+ on Andriod 8.0.0

If I turn off or remove the app, will I be able to get speed camera updates andf traffic?
  • Bryce281Bryce281 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, and my location is off mr. **** eggs, I am using a tomtom go 620 WiFi, I have turned off every feature notification in the app and turned off background usage, I have to have Bluetooth on because I wear a Samsung gear s3. But as someone else said to try to reinstall the app and see if it helps, so I guess I will try that, thanks.
  • RBEmersonRBEmerson Posts: 60 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited January 28
    The title says it all. Using Gsam (a battery use report app), MyDrive is a huge power user. Even without Gsam, just looking at the battery level after taking the phone out of a dark place (supresses time of day display = no screen activity at all) over a period or an hour or two shows an outrageous drop in battery remaining percentage. Additionally, the case is noticeably warmer (very active CPU)

Fortunately, my phone is rooted so I can use Titanium (back up app) to "freeze" MyDrive (still stored but invisible to the OS). Reboot the phone and usage returns to pre-MyDrive rates. For non-rooted phones, the only way to stop MyDrive is to uninstall it.

There is no on/off option, no go-to-sleep option. Trying to stop the app through Settings>Apps doesn't work. If MyDrive is visible to the OS, it runs. If, like more than a few users, rides only happen on weekends, MyDrive is running all week long for no useful reason.

In short, MyDrive is the app from h***, the app that will not die. Not Good, TT, Not Good.
  • WP1950WP1950 Posts: 114 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I've got no solution but just wanted to confirm that I experience the same issue on my Samsung S7. MyDrive is the only app which Android warns me is using battery excessively.

I get that it has to stay awake when connected to a TomTom device. But when it is not in connection with a device, could it not sleep like any normal app?
    You've summed things up as I see them. When the 550 is in use, it's safe to assume the phone will be on external power, too. Using a pair of 2.4A USB charging points (easy to find), both the 550 and phone batteries will stay up - no worries here.

The problem, then, is making MyDrive "take a nap" until it's time to hit the road.

As I said, with a rooted phone, it's not that hard. I've had no luck with trying to force stop the app. Which, for an out-of-the-box phone, leaves installing and uninstalling as the only alternative for saving the battery.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, TT
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,210 Superusers
    Maybe support has some suggestions:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
    Went there, did that. No switch. "It's not our fault, not all phones have this problem, call Samsung." Where's the "hit my head on the wall" emoji?

I'm not sure if I called TT or Garmin. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...
  • WP1950WP1950 Posts: 114 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    RBEmerson wrote:
    Where's the "hit my head on the wall" emoji?

When you find it, please pass it on. I join you in your frustration.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,600 Superuser
    I sooooooo need that. TNX!
    edited January 30
    I know I started this issue somewhere in the forum. Not knowing where that post was...

MyDrive app has got to be shut down when not in use (i.e., not tied to a TT device). It's close to the screen in battery consumption. I have utterly no idea about what it's doing when not tied to a GPS. I have other apps that periodically pop up on BT, WiFi, or the phone connection, asking if there's any content waiting, or sending out content. For example, Fotmob, a soccer app, periodically asks its server for any news, or status of a match. WhatsApp looks for incoming messages. There are, of course, Android activities with similar activity. None of them consume battery power like MyDrive.

As I posted earlier, I'm able to use Titanium backup app to "freeze" (conceal an app from Android) MyDrive. Even then I have to reboot because MyDrive will not stop after using Force Stop.

MyDrive either needs to draw far less power when it's idle, or to let the user to exit MyDrive (stopping the app, altogether, from running). The current situation makes MyDrive user hostile. Not a good thing for TT.
  • Bryce281Bryce281 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    TT Trev seems to have gone awol, but I cannot figure out a solution for this problem, besides "**** eggs" is what douche bags used to say in primary school. Location is off, Bluetooth has to be on to keep connected to my samsung gear s3 watch, even though my tomtom is off, my drive still consumes 9% of batt power "450mah" when on a 3000mah battery is quite a lot.... I think I will just uninstall the app and reinstall it and if that doesn't work I will uninstall it till I need to use my tomtom... suggestions welcomed.
  • DrBakteriusTTDrBakteriusTT Posts: 231 [Exalted Navigator]
    RBEmerson wrote: »
    Went there, did that. No switch. "It's not our fault, not all phones have this problem, call Samsung." Where's the "hit my head on the wall" emoji?

I'm not sure if I called TT or Garmin. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

Actually it's not only Samsung! I can confirm that this problem also exists on a Nexus 5x with stock Android 8.1!
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 338 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I had the same high battery usage problem with my old LG phone connecting to my activity tracker. Both the activity tracker and the TomTom Rider use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Also with iBeacons (also BLE) you wil see big difference on battery live between differed Phones firmware and chipsets.

With my new phone (Motorola) both MyDrive an my activity tracker just use normal amounts of battery live.

The best solution I know is unpair MyDrive App with the rider 5x0 and start using Bluetooth Tethering again like on the Rider 4X0.

After a Phone update or upgrade you can try to use MyDrive App again for BLE communication.