Speed Camera (Safety Camera) App sounds working strangely ? — TomTom Community

Speed Camera (Safety Camera) App sounds working strangely ?

VictorZVictorZ Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Speed Cameras
Love the app ... and used to have no problems at all. But of late (last month+ or so) the sound is acting strangely. Not sure how to best describe it, but what appears to be the case is that it is "initially" very quiet, almost inaudible, but if another sound alert occurs quickly enough, it's at full volume. I usually just have it generate the sound warning "PING" but if I use voice instead, then I'll hear the very end of the announced warning at full volume, but the initial part is very quiet. I will point out that my phone's "ringer" is doing the same sort of thing, so it may be related to that ... i.e., the warning sound from the app is being directed through the same process, internally, as phone ringer volume is ... as opposed to, say for instance, media volume. Is this a correct assumption?

For starters, I'm not sure if this a problem that TomTom can do anything about ... other than changing the way alert volumes are controlled / sounds processed internally if, as suspected, the above program logic is correct. I've been after the provider and phone manufacturer (Droid Turbo 2) to try and resolve this but no success to date. There used to be an android option for making the volume of the phone ringer ramp up but that's been gone in the last couple versions, so nothing I can get at through the phone settings.

Any ideas? I'm kind of stumped !! The alerts for speed / redlight cameras work visually, but I'd rather watch the road than the screen !! :D

Many thanks in advance.
VictorZ

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Victor,

Welcome to the Community!

That indeed doesn't sound like a problem with the app. You could test it by uninstalling the app and check if you have the problem with other apps and/or call sound. Also, if you're using any Bluetooth® accessories (speaker/headset), try disconnecting them and turning Bluetooth® off on your phone.

Cheers, Mikko
  • VictorZVictorZ Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Mikko,

Thank you for your prompt response. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app does not fix the problem ... have tried on more than one occasion. Even resetting the phone hasn't had an effect. No Bluetooth accessories ... though I do use the Bluetooth recognition for auto start/stop in the app. It didn't cause an issue before this problem arose, so that "shouldn't" be an issue now, but for grins I will try disabling Bluetooth on the phone and start the app manually. FYI, The alert sound is being sent directly to phone speaker, not Bluetooth, in case that is significant.

As to affecting other apps ... well, yes, as noted in my original query, the phone "ringer" also displays this odd "ramp up" of sound volume, so I suppose the answer is yes to that. Since by your indication it does not appear to be a problem with the app itself, I'll continue to pursue the phone manufacturer re. an answer to the problem.

Of course, if you have any other ideas, I'd be delighted to hear them!!

Again, many thanks ...
    Victor
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for coming back!

As this indeed doesn't sound like a problem with the Speed Cameras app, I don't have further suggestions. Perhaps some other users here can help you further.

Please, let us know if you find a solution so that others possibly running into a similar issue may find the answer easier.

Cheers, Mikko
    After a VERY long conversation with Motorola re. the phone, doing a factory reset -- ARGH what a pain in since although apps get reinstalled, various settings, customization and such don't necessarily come back the way you want'em!!

It looks like there's nothing wrong with the phone. So ... I'm left wondering if somehow an android update or something has messed it up? The alert tone is behaving much like the ringer does, which under android 7 starts quietly initially and ramps up. Since the alert tone in the app only plays briefly, there's no opportunity for it to get louder.

I'm wondering if there's a way to do more than just adjust the alert tone volume? Make it play twice or something?

Am I the only person in the world experiencing this problem??

Yours frustrated...
    VictorZ
    Hi Victor,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't found a solution to this!

This sounds to me like something caused by a change in Android 7. I'll send a heads-up to the team to see if there's something we can do from our end.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko,

Thanks! Perhaps it was caused by a recent update ... hopefully the team can find something. I'll keep an eye out for future updates but please let me know with a reply here if something comes up or if there's anything I can do to help with testing, etc..

Best regards ... Victor
    MikkoK wrote:
    I'll send a heads-up to the team to see if there's something we can do from our end.

Cheers, Mikko
  • CABurton100CABurton100 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Hi
    I also have the same problem. In voice notifications the speed cannot be heard just the "miles per hour" at the end. Installed today and first use with default settings and phone speaker (no Bluetooth active).
    I'm certain this is a bug in this app as every other one, including Go, work fine. Had to change to sound notifications.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @CABurton100

Which voice are you using to pronounce your notifications?
    Niall
    The choice in settings is voice notification "read aloud warnings" or "warning sounds" no choice of voice. The first part of the voice notification (the speed) is inaudible, only the units (miles per hour) can be heard making the voice notification useless so I changed to sounds until a solution is posted. My phone is a Moto G4 which works perfectly with other apps giving warnings e.g. Waze, TomTom Go
    Hi CABurton100,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you also state the Android™ version of your phone, please?

Thanks, Mikko
    CABurton's issue sounds similar to mine. If I set to "voice", I'll hear the last bit of a warning. Though from the post it seems as though putting it to "sounds" setting is working, whereas in my case, I don't hear anything ... the sound is of too short a duration, cuts off before the volume raises I guess.

Don't think I mentioned it, but since you asked C, I'll add that I'm running Android version 7 with the May 1, 2017 security patch on a Moto Droid Turbo 2.
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for coming back! I'll update the team with this info.

Cheers, Mikko
    Victor
    I was unclear in my post. I have changed the notification to sound but have not yet tested to see the results. After what you have found that the duration of the sound warning is too short to build up to being audible I will test as soon as possible and post back my findings.
    Clive
    Mikko
    My Moto G4 is running on Android7.0
    Clive
    Clive ... Great, thanks! Would be good to document a problem on more than one device.

Mikko ... Incidentally, I can very easily demonstrate the problem in the following manner ... even without going out and finding some camera / etc to drive towards.

Enter SETTINGS...

Slide VOLUME setting to change volume. Normally, this causes the sound warning to be issued as a test / sample of the volume. When the volume is changed the FIRST time, the sound is suppressed / i.e. at a very low volume. If the slider is moved to a different position promptly, the next volume test / sample is at full volume. The 2nd attempt must be prompt ... within 5 seconds or so. If a longer delay is allowed, say 10 seconds or so, then the volume of the tone is quiet again, but as above, any secondary immediate tone request is at full volume.

It's all quite weird and frustrating as well.

Best I can figure out, it's as if the warning tone is being generated using the logic / programming behind phone ring tones and alarms. On my phone (currently at least) these sounds initially start low and ramp up, albeit pretty quickly, but still over a long enough time that the length of this program's tone is too short to be noticeable. Notification tones, such as that which occurs when a Text or WhatsApp message arrives, although also short, aren't subject to being ramped up ... they occur at full volume right from the get go.

I say above that this is case "currently" ... since I'm 99% sure that I had Android 7 on the a couple months ago when this was NOT an issue ... everything was working splendidly. Something has changed however, not sure if it's related to some update, etc.

In any case, I'm hoping that the above might be able to ... 1) help / allow someone to duplicate the issue ... and, more importantly !! ... 2) FIX the problem. :)

As before, I'm happy to be a guinea pig if a beta that addresses the problem is available.

Victor
    Victor
    Your post has set me thinking. I increased/decreased the volume setting in the app as you did and checked against volume in the Andoid settings. I believe you are correct in that the app uses the telephone ring volume setting to make announcements/sounds for camera warnings as this one followed the changes made in the app.
    On receiving a call my phone is set to vibrate first then increase the ring volume. Is yours set similarly?
    Could the app be using these ringtone settings?
    I plan to make a few journeys today so I will first confirm that setting the camera warnings to "sound" results in no camera warning sound, then I will change my telephone call notification to a simple ringtone to see if this results in receiving voice and/or sound warnings.
    I'll post the results of the tests later today.
    Clive
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your input here! I've forwarded this to the product team. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back from them.

Cheers, Mikko
    Back from a short trip.
    I can report:
    When my phone ringtone is set to vibrate/ring and the app notifications are set to sound then, even at full ringtone volume, the sounds are present but barely audible.
    Changing my phone settings to a simple ringtone and the app settings to voice when I approach a camera then e.g. "thirty miles per hour" can be heard in full (don't know if any other words should come before the speed notification e.g. "fixed camera ahead", but nothing heard).
    However on driving alongside the camera only "miles per hour" can be heard.
    Having passed the camera "thirty miles per hour" was clearly audible again.

What should I be hearing in the way of voice warnings when approaching a fixed speed camera?

In all of the other navigation and camera apps I have used the sound volume is linked to the "music" volume and I have experienced no problems even over a Bluetooth connection to the media centre in the car (music is usually muted automatically as required by the app).
    I feel the issues with this app are related to the use of the ringtone channel/volume for notifications. Is this necessary?
    Would nothing at all be heard if the phone ringtone was set to vibrate only with sound muted?

I have now returned my ringtone setting to vibrate/ring as I can answer a call before the ringtone sound increases to an audible volume.

Clive
    Clive ... re. phone setting for calls, mine has "also vibrate for calls" enabled. Behavior is as you describe ... vibrate with a very low volume for the first ring, the next ring is at full volume. Turning this off, it doesn't vibrate, of course, but it does ring at full volume right away.

This does nothing to change the behavior noted WRT setting the volume of the alert tone in the app however. The first adjustment sounds off at a very reduced, barely audible volume. Any subsequent movement of the volume slider causes the test sound to be heard at full, or adjustable, volume. Only changed promptly, of course, as a delay longer than a few seconds causes sounds to be emitted at barely audible volume again.

I don't know if this will have an effect in the real world ... i.e., whether I'll hear the alert tone correctly when approaching a camera, but I'll let you and Mikko as well of course! as soon as I get a chance to test it out.

I'll also have a try at the voice warning to see if it mimics what you have seen. My preference is a simple alert tone, but BOTH should work properly in any case.

Victor
    Clive & Mikko ...

Well, the "vibrate for calls" setting doesn't change anything unfortunately. Set to off, I still don't hear the alert tone. It's inaudible. Visual alert appears, but only the barest of sounds. And regarding Clive's comment re. the voice alert, if I turn that feature on, I get the same thing he reported, i.e. I'm only hearing "...miles per hour." and that's it, so only the tail end of the announcement is getting through. And it's not as if the sound rises in volume. It jumps from inaudible to "...miles per hour." in one fell swoop.

So, vibrate on calls on or off, no difference. Too bad, but at least it's one item checked off the possibility list. I hope the techs can get to the bottom of the issue.

Victor
    Vivtor and Mikko
    I believe I have a solution - or rather have now made changes which have resulted in warnings and information being given in full as I drove along earlier today.
    There is an app setting under settings/sounds/sound output where "Device selected output" can be chosen.
    On my device (Moto G4) the volume control in the app then makes changes to the Media Volume rather than Ring Volume (the default setting).
    I have driven around 40 miles today and for the first time I have heard warnings when I go over the speed limit and the full advanced warning when I approach fixed speed cameras (rather than just the truncated speed announcement).
    Haven't had time to try changing the warnings from voice to sound, but suspect they will now be audible.
    Give it a try Victor - assuming you haven't already?
    Clive
    Clive,

Brilliant! Excellent catch. Kudos! That indeed solves the sound problem. Both the alert tone and voice announcements work correctly when the app is set this way. HOWEVER ... it's a solution that comes with a few caveats.

I'll admit that I've been aware of this setting, but have never tried adjusting it. I've kept it to "Always use device speaker" because otherwise, when the phone connects to the car's Bluetooth system, there are NO sounds from ANY applications unless one of either of two other things are put the right way.

#1 ... The car's audio system must be on, and it must be set to Bluetooth audio. If I'm listening to the radio ... nothing. And for obvious reasons, if I'm not listening to anything at all .. again nothing.

#2 ... If I'm not listening to Bluetooth audio in the car, as required by #1 above ... i.e., radio, silence, etc ... then the Bluetooth settings in the phone for the car connection needs to have "Media Audio" turned off.

My Bluetooth settings were set such that "Media Audio" was being directed to the car, this is the default condition when the pairing is made. I set the Speed Camera app to device speaker for the same reason that I made a similar setting in WAZE, my preferred navigation app. If not, there's no sound at all per caveat #1 above. It's also how I was aware of the whole Bluetooth "Media Audio" setting business in the first place, and realized I'd have to turn it off if I set to "Device selected output".

My bad for not having tried fooling with this setting in the Speed Camera app up until now, but in my defense, I just assumed it would work as expected. As the old saying goes however ... when you ASSUME you make an "****" out of "U" and "Me". :)

Mikko ... I can certainly live with the Bluetooth setting for "Media Audio" workaround now that I know it fixes the problem. For the most part, I listen to the radio more often than streaming audio, and I'm MUCH more interested in having the Speed Camera app work correctly all of the time. It does means I now have to modify the settings if I want to stream, and also remember to switch them back when I'm done or else the sounds won't work correctly again, and for that reason, I feel this is something that should be addressed in a future update. Audio directed explicitly to the phone speaker should work as expected.

I am a bit chastened to admit that I did NOT test to see whether alert tones, voice warnings, etc. work correctly to the Bluetooth audio stream in the car. I got too excited that sound was working correctly !! and did not follow through on that last test. I'll do so at my earliest opportunity though ... but not till the work week when I'm driving where cameras are plentiful.

Again, many many thanks to you Clive for tumbling on to the fix!

Victor
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here! I'll forward it to the product team.

Victor, When you're satisfied that your question has been answered, please mark your topic as solved [How to FAQ] so that others with a similar question may find the answer easier.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mikko,

Sorry for the delay in posting this response. I went back and verified that yes, when running Bluetooth audio, voice announcements and alert tones play through the car speakers as expected. If the phone settings are not adjusted to TURN OFF Bluetooth media playback, then nothing is heard at all if the sound system is off, or playing some other source ... radio, CD, SD card or USB stick with MP3 files, etc..

As to hearing only part of the output ... that's SOLVED !! YAY !! Thanks to Clive for tumbling to the solution re. "device selected output" in the app settings. I still think this should be fixed to work more intuitively / as indicated if it is set to phone speaker, but that's for another day.

I can't seem to mark the the topic as SOLVED or to mark Clive's last response as the solution. ??

I do have one final, unrelated question, and perhaps that should be the start of a new thread ... Why does the display no longer show the speed limit for speed cameras when the alert flashes up? The voice announcement states the speed. Older versions of the program used to show it. Now, all speed cameras simply come up as "Fixed Camera" ???

Many thanks again ...
    Victor
    Thanks for coming back, Victor! I marked it for you :D

Please, start a new topic about your about question so that we can better address it.

Cheers, Mikko