TomTom Rider 450 - any problems? Is it better than 410?

BartzinBartzin Posts: 15 [Novice Seeker]
edited January 30 in RIDER
Hello,
I'm thinking about new sat nav for my bike. The one I like is Rider 450. Can you tell me, please:

- Is it worth buying 450 over 410? I read they are almost the same apart from the screen sensitivity setting. If I can dowload a new map on the 410, this should be exactly the same toy as 450. Am I right?

- What are the problems with bluetooth? I read about sound problems and bluetooth problems on TomTom 410. But what exactly are these problems?

- Has this problem been solved in 450 model?

- Is there any problem with 410 model that was solved in 450 model so I should go for 450 instead of cheaper 410?

- Does 450 model work faster / better than 410?

Thanks,
Bart

Comments

• BartzinBartzin Posts: 15 [Novice Seeker]
    I will appreciate for any replies. Cheers
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    Bartzin wrote:

My advice is don't buy the Rider 450, its a poor product with many faults, both hardware and software - screens misting up, very slow, poor routing, voice instructions breaking up (hoarse voice), screen sensitivity is diabolical....

Rider 450 is a constant stress for me with problems mounting daily! I hate the thing!
  • whyhaveonewhyhaveone Posts: 52 [Legendary Explorer]
    From the reports it really seems to have the same problems as the 400/410.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Batrzin,

Welcome to the Community!

There are some hardware and software differences in the new Rider 450. They're discussed extensively here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had tried both Rider 450 and Rider 410.
    I could not find any benefits of 450 over 410.
    Both have the same bluetooth issues, rainddrop sensitivity, strange routing. For me the screen on model 410 has better contrast and hue.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. It looks like these sat navs have only bad opinions / reviews. I had actually very good experience with TomTom car sat nav so I am suprised here.
    Now - Tomtom or Garmin? Which Garmin Zumo would be the equivalent of Rider 450? Are Garmins better or Riders are better? Can anyone advise me what to buy and why? Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Eldavido. What do you mean by strange routing? And what exactly are the bluetooth issues? Thanks
    eldawido wrote:
    Both have the same bluetooth issues, rainddrop sensitivity, strange routing. For me the screen on model 410 has better contrast and hue.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by strange routing? And what exactly are the bluetooth issues? Thanks
    Bartzin wrote:

My advice is don't buy the Rider 450, its a poor product with many faults, both hardware and software - screens misting up, very slow, poor routing, voice instructions breaking up (hoarse voice), screen sensitivity is diabolical....

Rider 450 is a constant stress for me with problems mounting daily! I hate the thing!

It sounds shocking. I understand that if you have problem with the screens misting up and voice instructions not working properly, you can send the device back to the seller under your warranty, as it looks like it is faulty. Right?

Also, what do you mean by poor routing?
    Thanks!
    Check the topic "Rider 400- Hoarse voice in headset" Problem is known for over 2 years and tomtom can't fix it. Replacement of device will not help here. Exactly the same is with Rider 410 and Rider 450

Poor routing - advertised "thrill route" often means "best twists are in the middle of every cities on the way".
    You know that routing can ignore your settings to avoid ferries or non-paved roads?
  • TheJzaTheJza Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    eldawido wrote:

Just to confirm... despite changes to the 450 you saying it still has issues with raindrops even using the "Gloved hand" option?.
    TheJza wrote:

Just to confirm... despite changes to the 450 you saying it still has issues with raindrops even using the "Gloved hand" option?.

YES. There are two sensitivity options for the screen. Even on the lower level, raindrops can activate different functions.
    I see no difference between Rider 400 and Rider 450 in this matter.
    What helps is this self-adhesive screen protector. It makes the screen better legible in direct sun and less rain sensible.

I wish such easy solution for the voice quality...
  • mrdedmrded Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    I have TomTom Rider 450 and lots of problems with performance mainly. I raised a question here: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/my-tomtom-rider-450-is-incredibly-glitchy-1028072

I really hope that my device is faulty and it will be replaced.

You can see my usage experience on the video attached.
  • marcop1952marcop1952 Posts: 43 [Master Explorer]
    If the 450 is anything like the 410, stay away from it. Presently, on the 400/410, you CANNOT include an Intermediate stop on the route. You can place as many intermediate stops as you wish, using TYRE, but when you download the route to your Rider, all the Intermediate Stops, now become Waypoints and show up as Blue Flags and are announced as "you have reached your waypoint" Only the final destination shows up as a chequered flag. Despite numerous requests, Tomtom will not update the software on the Rider 400/410 to fix this problem.
  • AkikiAkiki Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Bartzin wrote:

I bought this for my ride to Mexico and it has been nothing but a stress creator...in addition to the misting, slowness and bad routing it simply doesn't have about 80% of the addresses I input and the bluetooth does not work...ever... I regularly have to turn my phone on to get turn by turn directions. It appears that the utility of a dedicated GPS has been lost as the phone is faster, has all the addresses and talks to my SENA. I regret this purchase.
  • bavlbavl Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Don t bother with TomTom. It s trash. Looking to sell my Rider 450 and buy a real GPS.
    Tomtom doesn t have A LOT of countries on its maps. For instance, i m leaving in a trip to azerbaijan, and guess what...I have to buy maps for my phone and stuff because tomtom doesnt have georgia, armenia and azerbaijan...just from this trip.
    Also, the device is painfully slow and outdated. I interacted with a premium Garmin...and this rider is a kid s toy next to that. Save your money. Buy a phone mount instead.
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 257 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi Bartzin, your choice might depend on how you plan to use it.

If you need all the bells and whistles to work for you, as you really should expect, then you will be disappointed. BUT ...

... for me it has been a great tool for planning my routes and taking me the places I have wanted to go. Sure, if you know the perfect route yourself you will probably notice that the choice of route from the GPS might be far from optimal but that you will find with all GPS's, I know that I experience that not only with my Tomtom. And together with MyRoute-app as the route planner I have made many, many nice rides also appreciated by the people who ride with me. And believe me, a lot of times riders with Garmins have told me that we have been off road for many miles even if the roads are like ancient ... ;-)

The major issues seem to be a rain sensitive screen and that the spoken instructions over bluetooth to your headset break up if you have Tomtom Live Traffic activated. I also found the 4xx series to be rather slow, it became better when deactivating the "auto" screen orientation.

Well, these are just my five cents ...

Ride safe,
    Anders

• MrMMrM Posts: 148 [Exalted Navigator]
    People who are happy with the nav's hardly come to forums like this one. Only if they have problems. So the bashing here is maybe not even 1 % of the users. That is certainly the case in Holland.
    Take the 450. The silly thing is that some extra's in the late firmware release did not apply to the 410. So take the newer one.