TomTom Runner 3 validation by Discovery/Vitality points for 10,000 steps per day.

Polo1
Polo1 Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Discovery/Vitality South Africa seems to have validated the TomTom watch for counting daily steps, as I am now receiving points for 10,000 steps per day (since June 2017), using a Runner 3. I have had no correspondence from Discovery and their website still says that the TomTom is not validated for steps, so I wondered if anyone else had noticed this upgrade and why Discovery hasn't told us about it?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    TT has not announced anything about Vitality, but they are also transmitting to Apple Health and Google Fit, so if you are using either of them, they might be posting to Vitality. Is it exactly 10,000 steps, perhaps they are giving you credit because you are using the watch, not the exact steps.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Polo1
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks - that might explain it, I guess. I am using Apple Health, and I also get points when I record over 10,000 steps on my iPhone. But since June, the Vitality dashboard clearly shows that the device being rewarded is the TT, and for a specific number of steps over 10,000. I have asked Vitality and will post the response here when they reply.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Perhaps since Apple Health knows the device that the data is coming from it is passing it along to Vitality?

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Polo1
    Neophyte Traveler
    Yes, what you say is possible; but the strange thing is that it has just started happening (that the Vitality dashboard shows the points accruing specifically to a TomTom device for the >10,000 steps). If what you say is correct, then so long as you have an iPhone or Mac, it would not matter if Vitality validates TomTom directly, so long as the points accrue by being recognised first by the Apple device.

I wonder why it's taken so long for Vitality to validate steps on a TomTom watch anyway?
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
     Superuser
    Vitality does recognise a Tom Tom device (in my case a Runner 2) and rewards me 50 points for 5000 steps. I do not have any other devices registered with Vitality.
  • Polo1
    Neophyte Traveler
    I received an email from Vitality today to say they are in the final stages of testing the TomTom link for stepping. Some users are being awarded points as part of the testing process, but they expect everyone to be connected soon. Great news for TomTom/Vitality users.
  • Caroalessa
    Caroalessa Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Do you know if Vitality recognizes the Spark 3?
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
     Superuser
    I think you only need a Tom Tom device (with steps or HRM data) to register your device to Vitality. Besides Spark 3 has been out for a long time in South Africa.
  • Shaff Smith
    Shaff Smith Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Any word on when this will be implemented? I'm on the verge of buying another device because I am missing out on points.
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Any word on when this will be implemented? I'm on the verge of buying another device because I am missing out on points.
    It already exists, but you need to register the device on the Vitality side and they pull the data from TomTom, unlike Strava or others that you register on the TT side and they push data out.
  • luca69x
    luca69x Registered Users Posts: 36
    Apprentice Traveler
    Sorry but what is vitality and how is it used?
    Thank you