Spark 3 and Resting Heart Rate

BobBPrague
BobBPrague Registered Users Posts: 9
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
As we all know the true resting heart rate is the heart rate right before you wake up in the morning so why can't the spark 3 record this and keep it as the resting heart rate for that day? Instead it seems to take measurements throughout the day to come up with some average.

The device has a very basic sleep monitor, so all it has to do is take a reading of the heart rate at the time it thinks you are waking up and that would be the resting heart rate.

Bob

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Actually, they are not the same thing, resting heart rate and sleeping heart rate are different measures. Your sleeping heart rate is variable based on the stage of sleep you are in, environmental factors, physiological factors and others. It is possible to actually have a lower resting HR during the day depending on how well you slept and most people will have their lowest HR in the middle of the night, not just before waking as the body is actually booting up so to speak to prepare for waking.

In any case, the MySports progress data charts give you both the average as well as the minimum HRs right at the top of the chart for each day, so it is already providing what you asked for. If that minimum happens to be right before waking then there you have it. If you happen to have lower FR during the day it ill indicate that (and you can see when it was by looking at the chart).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BobBPrague
    BobBPrague Registered Users Posts: 9
    Master Explorer
    I'll agree to disagree on the definition of resting heart rate as all the literature I have read says it should be measured when you first wake up but I don't see the minimum heart rate in the progress data, I only have average resting heart rate.

Bob
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    They say to measure it upon waking as they are looking for a manual measurement, not one done by a device. You can't read it while you are asleep manually. I can easily get to the same resting heart rate as upon waking up at any point during the day by sitting for a few minutes. Minimum HR is right above the graph:

02707586-713c-4f54-a3cb-a88f46ffc7f6.png

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • holliewd
    holliewd Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    My cardio spark is not registering a resting heart rate at all. I've worn it well over 2 hours every day for weeks and still nothing. The graph simply doesn't show anything in the resting heartrate. Sleep mode doesn't give me any heart rates during the night or any information during sleep. Is there a setting or screen somewhere I'm missing? I've followed every suggested posting on the discussions.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Is HR tracking turned on under Tracking>Heart?
  • AnnaSpanna
    AnnaSpanna Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi. I am having the same problem.
    My Spark 3 watch is set to “on” and when I go to the sensor screen, and see that it is still “on” it shows “bpm” briefly before showing my HR.
    If I leave that to go back to the watch screen automatically, it doesn’t seem to be continuing to measure HR. The screen on the app has never shown my HR aside from as a “stat” as part of an activity eg. A run or a cycle.
    On the activity for the day screen there is no resting HR measure and I have never seen it shown on the 8feb6db9-360e-449f-84fd-1ed2dae602aa.pngcomputer either.
    Can you please advise?