Thinking of a Rider 450 :) — TomTom Community

Thinking of a Rider 450 :)

adventure_steeleadventure_steele Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hiya everyone,

Thinking of getting a rider 450, currently Using a bmw Nav 5 which I belive is a rebadged / diff software model 590 Garmin, no longer got the Bmw gsa after total nightmares :) on a Suzki V-strom 1000 Xt now super awesome bit of kit.

Just a few questions been reading back through the old posts.

How is everyone finding the touchscreen in the rain, living in The North every day occurrence haha.

can the software update's be done via online or does it need to be on mac/pc software.

Finally is anyone using a Sena 20S headset if so whats the sound quality like? any scratchiness

Cant decide between a Garmin or TomTom liking a few of the features on the TomTom though

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 276 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi Lucy.

The screen seem to be just as sensitive to rain drops as the previous 4x0 models, the more flat you mount it the worse it gets, however if you are able to mount it in a raised up vertical position you are normally fine.

Software updates are done using a Windows or Mac software, at least I am not aware of any other possibility, i.e. using the SD card as an example.

All the Rider 4x/4x0 seem to suffer from the same bad voice in the headset as long as you have Live Traffic activated, denying Tomtom to get your location disable Live Traffic and then you are normally just fine. Live Traffic tend to re-route you without any reason so I normally don't want it anyway ...

Have a nice day, ride safe.

Anders
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 62 [Legendary Explorer]
    My advice is don't buy the Rider 450, its a poor product with many faults, both hardware and software - screens misting up, very slow, poor routing, voice instructions breaking up (hoarse voice), screen sensitivity is diabolical....

Rider 450 is a constant stress for me with problems mounting daily! I hate the thing!
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    If you are used to using a Garmin, know that a TomTom route CANNOT be started part way through as you can on a Garmin. This is something I did regularly with my old Zumo 550, not anymore.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    ChrisHall wrote:
    If you are used to using a Garmin, know that a TomTom route CANNOT be started part way through as you can on a Garmin. This is something I did regularly with my old Zumo 550, not anymore.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but have you tried these?

Navigating using a saved route

Navigating using a track

Cheers, Mikko
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 256 [Exalted Navigator]
    MikkoK - I don't want to use tracks - I often go off the track and follow my nose for a few miles, so a route will get me back once I've done with the detour.

Here's a saved route. I know many variations of the first part, but the last part I'm not very familiar, so I will ride without a current route loaded mixing and matching the roads I use depending on how the mood takes me, when I get to the location of the 4th waypoint from the right I want to load and start following the saved route. If you know a quick way of doing that, that doesn't involving deleting the 4 previous waypoints and the start point (with a recalculation each time a waypoint is deleted), or planning a whole new route, I'm listening!!

(On the Zumo 550 it knows your on the route and asks "Do you want to navigate to the start? yes or no", answer no and the route continues from your current location - simples. But I guess TomTom own many Garmin devices to check out the competition and know this already?

Motorcycling is about freedom to do what you want, but not with a TomTom.
    e02b9b1f-f69a-4f3b-abff-9d4941edc9c8.jpg
  • adventure_steeleadventure_steele Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ahh thats good to know Chris interested if there is a solution to this, was out the other day in the middle of no where and needed to re route because of time after a break went into my trip planner on the Garmin and picked a later waypoint and headed for that got me back on route and carried on, does have a nasty habit of trying to re do its entire route in its own mind though my bmw Nav 5 whether the 595 LM is any different which is what I'm trying to decide between that and a 450 :)
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 298 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    ChrisHall:
    Today is your lucky day! :D

A route (ITN) can always be started from any waypoint. Just tap the nearest waypoint and select "Start the route from here" (i think it's called).
    I think that's part way? :)
  • marcop1952marcop1952 Posts: 45 [Legendary Explorer]
    If the 450 is anything like the 410, stay away from it. Presently, on the 400/410, you CANNOT include an Intermediate stop on the route. You can place as many intermediate stops as you wish, using TYRE, but when you download the route to your Rider, all the Intermediate Stops, now become Waypoints and show up as Blue Flags and are announced as "you have reached your waypoint" Only the final destination shows up as a chequered flag. Despite numerous requests, Tomtom will not update the software on the Rider 400/410 to fix this problem.