Cannot pair my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with Runner 2

geckin
geckin Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I've tried to pair my new Note 4 with my Runner 2 many times now and I cannot get past the stage shown in the attached screenshot, I get my PIN through the watch but never get a chance to enter it. the circle just spins on my phone forever. I already had problems syncing with my old phone (WileyFox Swift, sometimes taking hours worth of attempts to finally sync one run until you found the one magic syncing routine which worked that one time until you had to discover another one next time...).

I've told my phone to forget the one other BT device it was connected to (a speaker), restarted the phone, restarted the app in an attempt to somehow fix it but nothing changes, the circle just keeps spinning...

Please advise me of what I can do to rectify this problem, it's honestly been nothing but a struggle using the Runner 2 so far, and since there's no other way to get my run data other than over BT it makes my purchase an absolute waste (my phone already tells me the time and stores music).

Comments

• mandyboy82
    mandyboy82 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I have exactly same problem wint Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Runner 3. I tried to connect watch directly through system BT ant it works, but in app I have same problem as geckin.
    I am thinking about returning watch. :@ :(
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    You should not be connecting the watch through the phone's BT menu, it will block the app. You may want to start over and do it in the right order of steps. The steps are: uninstall the app, remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, factory reset the watch, reinstall the app, select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.
  • mandyboy82
    Neophyte Traveler
    Have done this two times, even tried factory reset on phone. I was going through troubleshooting steps here https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23002/locale/en_GB
    I have tried to connect through system BT as last chance to test if BT on phone and watch can see each other.
    Now i am triying for third time.
  • mandyboy82
    Neophyte Traveler
    Third time doesn´t work.
    Every time it ends on PIN. Watch displays PIN but phone doesnt display prompt to enter PIN, after about minute watch returns to menu and than to main screen with clock. Phone keeps connecting until i press back.

I have tried to connect watch with old phone (Xiaomi Mi2s with Kitkat) and it was connected instantly.
  • geckin
    Apprentice Traveler
    Well, I've just tried tfarabaugh's suggestion twice to no avail. Still experiencing exactly the same problem. I've attached a screenshot of my phone's About page if that helps at all.
  • Taco123
    Taco123 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have the same Problem, was using an old Samsung phone with my Runner 2 before, no problem. Since 2 weeks I use my new Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and the pairing stops at the same step as geckin describes. Happy for every helpful hint....
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    It is likely that the phone is simply not compatible. TT is regularly adjusting the BT connection to make more phones compatible but the challenge is that Android constantly changes the OS and each manufacturer customizes it further, making their own changes. This makes the Android app a challenge and they have struggled since Day 1. There are far fewer issues with the iOS app as Apple only has one OS and it cannot be further customized. They face similar struggles with the BT headphones, as each manufacturer interprets the BT standards differently and implements them differently. A few excerpts from a TT employee on another thread:

"The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc. Luckily we can change a lot of these settings on the watch with future firmware updates. We are reading these forums, buying problematic headsets and analyzing the BT traffic between them and the watch with a man in the middle packet analyzer to see where we can make changes to get them working. New android releases change the Bluetooth interfaces in subtle ways. And then, manufacturers will sometimes also add their own layers on top of the base android. And, on top of that we have the different Bluetooth chipsets, and other apps which may also be using same BT resources. And there are more phones released each week. And, our different watches/bands also use different Bluetooth chipsets!"

TomTom cannot test ever phone and cannot change the programming to make one phone in particular work as it may then eliminate another. You always have the PC syncing option that will allow you to sync your device and apply updates.

zI imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • geckin
    Apprentice Traveler
    With PC syncing can I export my run data to Strava somehow? if so I have no problem using that method in the future.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    If you have Strava set up as a Connected app in MySports it will sync regardless of which method you use and the PC sync is faster and much more reliable. Finally, if you want data files as a backup 9.fit, .tcx, etc.) you can only get these created automatically using the PC.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Zabalain
    Zabalain Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    Hi.
    No problem with this combination:
    TomTom Spark (1.3.255) + Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Miui 8.2Global)

Working fine.
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
    Superuser
    Older Android Kitkat (KK) devices usually do not prompt you for (further) permissions so the app is ready to start working without asking the user for further permissions to do this or that - that might explain why you able to connect using an older android device.

For newer Android Marshmallow (MM) devices most apps like the Tom Tom Mysports app will require explicit permissions to be granted by you the user to do certain things on your phone. So my advice is to dig deep into your phone's settings menu (and any third party permission apps) to ensure that the app itself has been granted full permissions to do whatever it needs to do.
  • Skipper1
    Skipper1 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    It's been over 10 months since this question was asked. Sadly, there's still no solution provided for Xiaomi devices. I wonder why the step motherly treatment for Xiaomi users. It's no longer a small company with limited sales. I really wish guys at TomTom take notice.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Skipper1 wrote:
    It's been over 10 months since this question was asked. Sadly, there's still no solution provided for Xiaomi devices. I wonder why the step motherly treatment for Xiaomi users. It's no longer a small company with limited sales. I really wish guys at TomTom take notice.
    TomTom went out of business in the watch industry several months ago, stopped producing new devices and laid off their staff. We can safely assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over nine months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I doubt we will see any new phones supported at this point, there is no one to develop it. You are stuck with it as it is.