TomTom XL - no maps found — TomTom Community

TomTom XL - no maps found

what an absolute piece of c**p. it was working, then I used the pc program to see if there were updates. 1 update found it says. so I click on update. update then fails and now im left with no maps found message and a paper weight. My understanding is now I need to pay $94 for a new map to get this working ? Why would you do this ? planned obsolescence ? how do I fix this ? I just want my old version back. !! I searched the forums and the safe mode reset hold down and press 3 times DOESNT work !

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,568 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • overstate99overstate99 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    again ! why do people post useless info as a reply ? If my product is end of life, then why did allow some update to happen - and trash my working device ? shouldn't the software auto backup before it updates ? im not computer savvy so i dont know how to back it up. There are so many posts on this forum about no map found.
    @overstate99

OK lets go through this step by step.
    What are the first two characters of the serial number of your device. (just to confuse, TomTom call several devices "XL")
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    First I apologize for my utter frustration in what I would of thought would of been a straight forward process.

The first 2 are "RU".
    @overstate99

So "RU" is a XL 340 with 2GB memory that uses TomTom HOME and has not yet been declared "End of Life"

Did you make a backup before performing the update as TomTom Home suggests?

Also have a look at some of the suggestions in this thread https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-installation-43/no-maps-found-on-tomtom-one-xl-25113
    thank you for your time, but no luck with any of those links. I still get no maps found. I give up. its a paperweight, and sadly points to very very poor programming practices on the part of tomtoms software developers. For a consumer product something like this should never occur. don't expect the consumer to know to HAVE to do a backup that they even know how. it should be bullet proof, IT should do a backup automatically and not have to rely on a tech savvy consumer.
    found no maps, error is quite prevalent on the tomtom forums.I will do my best to steer friends, family, and colleagues away from tomtom.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi overstate99,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't got this sorted yet with the help here! Please note, that this is a user forum and it doesn't help you to be rude to other users trying to help you here. Also, your product is a legacy one for which we haven't done any developing since years.

I can see that Customer Service has given you a download for the latest map. I'd recommend you to format (once more) your device and download the map and other updates with TomTom HOME before returning any back on your device. It sounds to me like there could be some corrupt data on your device causing this problem and it might come from your backup. For more troubleshooting tips, please see here.

Cheers, Mikko
    In my model, I dont see a format button on screen. Ive tried to go thru the menus. I dont understand what needs to be done.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,209 Superusers
    When you connect to the computer, make a manual backup of your device's contents. See here:
    https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/how-to-backup-the-contents-of-your-unit-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Then use Window's File Manager to format the drive represented by the tomtom. Do it as FAT32, not quickformat.

That is what Mikko was referring to.
    Ive decide to try this again. im not computer savvy. I know how to install and run the my drive connect form tom tom. but that program doesnt say fat32. I just want my maps back. why is this thing so difficult for the novice user to use ?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,209 Superusers
    For an XL device, you need Home, not MyDriveConnect.
  • moretonmoreton Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I agree entirely. Attempted to obtain FREE map updates - bloody impossible. Now will purchase another brand
  • moretonmoreton Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yeah - buy another brand
    ok I reinstalled HOME and connected, but I dont see any setting on it for fat32 as "dhn" said to do. How do I get the maps back on my device please. Im not computer savvy, I just want my gps to work again. please !
    @overstate99

Here a couple of images to help
    With the SDHC card inserted into a SD converter that normally comes with the purchase of the card
    When this is inserted into your computer, here is a WIN10 file manager view where I have right clicked it
    afac1d05-14e1-4872-a69e-b214cc1a8eab.jpg

then to actually format it select 32Kb from the 'Allocation unit size' drop down list and clear the 'Quick format' box and click 'Start'
    e0310a2b-f938-47ec-89b3-b7456b1c3a0c.jpg