TomTom Bandit Stabilization — TomTom Community

TomTom Bandit Stabilization

lucatrusso14lucatrusso14 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
I've tried my Tom Tom Bandit in different situations, and noticed that doesn't have a good stabilisation.
Someone have some advise for me? What do you use for stabilizing your action cam?
Hope that Tom Tom continues to support this product

Comments

• fazhenfazhen Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    According to what I have been reading around in many forum posts, the Bandit doesn't have stabilisation function.
    You would need to stabilise with a software. There are many programs you can use:
    -Adobe Premiere or Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows / Mac.
    -Emulsio app for iPhone.
    -Google Photos for Android.

The best option I think is to try to fix the camera in a part that is not moving so much, trying different locations can help a lot.
    I personally use the Pole Stick from TomTom designed for the camera and I think is a very good option. The videos are not shaky when I use it because most of the stabilisation is made naturally by my arm while holding it. But if you record with the camera in your hand wihout the pole stick, then you get a little bit of an earthquake experience.

Hope it helps!
  • DBC58DBC58 Posts: 28 [Master Explorer]
    In July I took a motorcycle trip through South Dakota. I have two mounts, one on the side engine guard and one on the handlebars. Video from the engine guard was rock solid. Mounting on the handlebars it was clear the camera was shaking going over bumps. But to my surprise it was not that noticeable on the video ???
  • M'bikerM'biker Posts: 47 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Shooting stable video has got to be one of the biggest challenges for the action camera.

Digital stabilisation can help, but doesn't seem to work very well where there's fast-moving background or engine-induced vibration. You also get a reduction in video quality post stabilisation, not to mention that slightly unnatural floating effect. That said, video taken on stairs can be headache-inducing without stabilisation in post.

I concur with one of the contributors above, who stated that the best option is to try and mount the camera in a way that results in more stable video. For example, if you're looking to mount on a motorbike, experiment with different locations to find one with the least vibration. Body mounts (head or chest) will generally experience less vibration than attaching the camera directly to your motorbike or bicycle. If you're on foot, I can recommend a pole-mount held vertically, just below the camera (not at the end of the pole). The weight of the pole below your hand helps to somewhat dampen the camera movement above.

Unfortunately, footsteps are just not conducive to smooth footage. If the Bandit was box-shaped (I much prefer the barrel), we'd be able to choose from a range of gyroscopic gimbals designed for GP. Personally, I feel that optical stabilisation is the future of action cameras. Sony's FDR-X3000 is a flagship in this respect.