TomTom Multisport watch button not working — TomTom Community

TomTom Multisport watch button not working

gareth01gareth01 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 31 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hi guys. I have a tomtom multisport gps watch thats got a proble with the rocker button (right direction) not working. Ive had the watch for around 2 years and its been faultless up until now. The button started getting stiff and then things were ok for a bit. about 2 months ago something inside the watch started playing up and the watch began scrolling across menus and buzzing etc. then on my last (about a week ago) run the right button stopped working period. Have done factory reset (a few times) and its all up to date. just wondering what to do?
cheers :?
«1

Comments

  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,787 Superusers
    The button itself has failed and it is sticking. Since you are out of warranty you are not going to get a replacement but if you call Customer Support they may be able to offer you a discount on a new watch. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

    I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • gareth01gareth01 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks...is it a common fault with the tomtom watches? bit odd that something thats only 2/3 years old and hasnt been fallen on would fail so quickly :@:@ wouldve expected a few more years use out of it....and to make things worse theres only an Australian number listed (Im not in Australia) :@:@....fingers crossed my Garmin 735xt sticks around a bit longer....
    thanks
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,787 Superusers
    You get the number for your country by clicking the flag at the bottom and picking your country. As to it being common, I am not sure, there have been a number of complaints about here, but out of how many watches sold? Of all the things to fail it is the most likely as it is the only mechanical part of the watch. The good news is that the design seems to have changed for later models and it doesn't seem to happen anymore. The MultiSport is a 5 year odl design and was their first watch so they seemed to have evolved through experience.

    I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • alko12alko12 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had been having the stuck right button issue (in my case) when I rode my road bike for around 9 months now. In my case the right press button was the problem and it took several hard presses before it would move the display until it got to a point where starting, restarting after pausing during refuelling breaks during a workout was almost impossible, I had to use several really hard presses to get out of pause mode again, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't budge so I just gave up. Which defeats the purpose of the watch.

    Anyway the way to resolve it (other than send it back for repair if still in warranty) (mine wasn't) is to remove the metal surround on the operation button (it comes off without too much problem with a fingernail) the metal surround has four longer lugs that click into a small slot you can see on the base of the button surround. What has happened is the pressure pad that the very tip of this lug contacts with (similar to the old digital watch button contacts) has moved into the watch very slightly, either through wear and tear or use). Once you have identified the side that is a problem ( right side lug in my case) all you need to do is cut a tiny bit of either electrical tape ( I used Gorilla tape) cut it really thin to the width of the lug, just stick the tape to the front side of the lug run it over the end overlapping the end of the lug and stick the reminder to the back so it has now made it slightly longer. You only need one layer of the gorilla tape as it is thicker, but may need two strips of the thinner electrical tap. Now just click the surround back into place, (if you have to force it too much you've used too much tape so just thin it down) and voila the button works like new again. It may be temporary until the tape wears down I guess but I'll just do it again if so. At least now the watch is back to being usable and I can enjoy the ride. Hope this helps as I know a lot of people have had this problem and it's very frustrating. Cheers
  • ncart10ncart10 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    This works! I used electrical tape and the one layer was enough...we'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for saving me lots of $$$ for this fix!
  • kwolfkwolf Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Thanks alko12!
    I had the same problem with the right button.
    Your tape fix works perfect! Very simple solution.

    ead1b4f5-a79b-4df7-9ed1-d510031d7a00.jpg
  • 1eyecon1eyecon Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had 2 running watches with the same problem. (Right button stopped working and sometimes the left also) One was 4 years old and stopped working 2 years ago, then I purchased my current one that stopped working yesterday. I just fixed both of them with this advice!

    Thank You!!!!!!

    The picture helped a lot too!!!!
  • Mertie01Mertie01 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great advice here my watch is in the early stages of showing the problem reported above, The button started getting stiff and then things were ok for a bit. about 2 months ago something inside the watch started playing up and the watch began scrolling across menus and buzzing etc. will be only a matter of time until the button stops working so will save this link. Thank you.
  • naysayernaysayer Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    My Runner watch developed the same issue with the right rocker button described by alko12. TomTom support told me it couldn't be repaired. I was ready to toss it in the trash and buy a Garmin, but did one more search on the problem and found this thread. The fix suggested by alko12 is very easy, and it works brilliantly! I used 2 layers of Gorilla Tape, and the button is now functioning perfectly. Thank you! I still think the problem reflects badly on TomTom, and will not buy their products again, but for now I'm happy I don't have to shell out $$$ on a new watch.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,123 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @naysayer

    I have sent a head up to the customer service, they will be getting back to you on this.

    Regards
    Vikram
  • Boston26.2Boston26.2 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    kwolf wrote:
    Thanks alko12!
    I had the same problem with the right button.
    Your tape fix works perfect! Very simple solution.

    ead1b4f5-a79b-4df7-9ed1-d510031d7a00.jpg
    Thank you so much. It works perfectly
  • Boston26.2Boston26.2 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Excellent! Back on track! Thank you
  • Jens1986Jens1986 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Thank you all so much for the advice on this thread! I had this fault last year whilst I was still under warranty and it was fixed, then again the same problem yesterday. Found this thread this morning and have managed to fix the button and saved myself £120!!!!!!
  • jdou1jdou1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Similar problem over here after 4 years. Apparently everyone at TomTom is on holiday since they failed to reply to my emails .....will try your solution but it makes sense.
    Thanks#:thumbsup_tone2:
  • ppantppant Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    alko12 wrote:
    I had been having the stuck right button issue (in my case) when I rode my road bike for around 9 months now. In my case the right press button was the problem and it took several hard presses before it would move the display until it got to a point where starting, restarting after pausing during refuelling breaks during a workout was almost impossible, I had to use several really hard presses to get out of pause mode again, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't budge so I just gave up. Which defeats the purpose of the watch.

    Anyway the way to resolve it (other than send it back for repair if still in warranty) (mine wasn't) is to remove the metal surround on the operation button (it comes off without too much problem with a fingernail) the metal surround has four longer lugs that click into a small slot you can see on the base of the button surround. What has happened is the pressure pad that the very tip of this lug contacts with (similar to the old digital watch button contacts) has moved into the watch very slightly, either through wear and tear or use). Once you have identified the side that is a problem ( right side lug in my case) all you need to do is cut a tiny bit of either electrical tape ( I used Gorilla tape) cut it really thin to the width of the lug, just stick the tape to the front side of the lug run it over the end overlapping the end of the lug and stick the reminder to the back so it has now made it slightly longer. You only need one layer of the gorilla tape as it is thicker, but may need two strips of the thinner electrical tap. Now just click the surround back into place, (if you have to force it too much you've used too much tape so just thin it down) and voila the button works like new again. It may be temporary until the tape wears down I guess but I'll just do it again if so. At least now the watch is back to being usable and I can enjoy the ride. Hope this helps as I know a lot of people have had this problem and it's very frustrating. Cheers

    With me applying tap on the tip was not working or was not sufficent after some trials I inserted some cushion in the gap itself where we insert the ring and it worked. Thanks for your inputs.
  • jdou1jdou1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I tried it out and it's working fine. Cheap way of repairing the item.
  • Ramon HorrachRamon Horrach Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I lost the metal surround on the operation button
    it is possible to buy a new one, where ?

    Thank You
  • ppantppant Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I lost the metal surround on the operation button
    it is possible to buy a new one, where ?

    Thank You
    Call customer care and ask for control button. they will send free of cost.
  • KermitonwheelsKermitonwheels Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    the tape hack worked for me too. Thanks alko12 for the tip and kwolf for the photo which helped a lot.
  • KevinSpearKevinSpear Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I need to know which product is the best from the ones listed on the site? https://rainydayfitness.com/best-sports-watches-for-women/
  • Dougie7Dougie7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I was hopeful this tape fix would work for me, but it hasn’t. It’s out of warranty so I opened it up and got to the four little black buttons which the prongs click when you press them. I’ve attached a photo. Using my finger nail I could still ‘click’ three of the four buttons, but not the broken, right-side one which you all fixed by adding tape to the prong. When I press that one there is no click, it’s like it’s stuck down or a spring has gone inside. Is it possible to get a replacement one of those, does anyone know?sf5exne4sf5d.jpeg
  • Dougie7Dougie7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Here’s a zoom-in on the part I mean

    79mhpi1a5u0m.jpeg
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,787 Superusers
    Dougie7 wrote: »
    I was hopeful this tape fix would work for me, but it hasn’t. It’s out of warranty so I opened it up and got to the four little black buttons which the prongs click when you press them. I’ve attached a photo. Using my finger nail I could still ‘click’ three of the four buttons, but not the broken, right-side one which you all fixed by adding tape to the prong. When I press that one there is no click, it’s like it’s stuck down or a spring has gone inside. Is it possible to get a replacement one of those, does anyone know?
    There is no way to get replacement parts. They will replace the entire watch if it is in warranty, but otherwise it is time to move on to another brand.
  • HelenLoMoHelenLoMo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Amazing! The tape worked perfectly and easily 👌
  • MaggymckMaggymck Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Glad so many got their watches back up and running. I was so hoping the tape fix would work for me. Unfortunately it’s a no go. This is my third TomTom and will be my last. I thought it was bad enough that a watch that supposedly could track laps abhors water. Now I see so many of us have a problem with the same toggle button. ( right side)
    This reflects badly on TomTom. I’m on holidays but will look for a new watch when I return home. Goodbye TomTom. Hello Garmin.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online9

Bembo
Bembo
Blackluxy
Blackluxy
Grandeand
Grandeand
modestoribeirinho
modestoribeirinho
+5 Guests