Two problems concerning the TomTom Adventurer — TomTom Community

Two problems concerning the TomTom Adventurer

JasperSteverinkJasperSteverink Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Dear all,

Recently I purchased a TomTom Adventurer and have been very content with it. However, in the last week I noticed two problems:

- Heart rate monitor provides inadequate readings when cycling or when rowing (as displayed in this activity: https://www.strava.com/activities/1067209808). Readings are okay but at a certain point are significantly lower than how I feel. (HR 120 when climbing hills at max intensity just does not make sense). This also happens when rowing with the watch. I wear my watch exactly as instructed and have tried tightening and loosening the strap with no effect.

- Bluetooth connection with the phone (Android 4.4 Huawei Nova) has worked well for a while, but now the watch won't connect anymore. I have done a factory reset of the watch and removed the watch from my phone's Bluetooth list of synced apparates). Both phone and watch are equipped with the latest software versions.

How can I get these issues to work? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,527
    Superusers
    The heart rate accuracy issues with rowing an cycling is not a TT issue per se, it is an issue with all forearm based optical HR straps. When you are rowing or cycling with your weight pressed down on your forearms you are constantly tensing and flexing your forearms, which is squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. You will also see it during weight training as well. It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse, it is that your pulse at the wrist has actually dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these sort of activities you are better off using a chest strap synced to the watch if getting a more exact reading is important to you. Based on numerous tests I have performed, I find that with weight training it is generally 5%-7% lower based on the wrist than the chest, so if I do not use the strap I just adjust accordingly.

Fro the BT syncing, the order of steps is important. The steps are: factory reset the watch, uninstall the app (optional but it may help), remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, reinstall the app (only if you uninstalled the app), select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • JasperSteverinkJasperSteverink Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for your response.

I understand what you mean concerning heart rate monitoring. But then, why do they advertise the watches as allround sportswatches with dedicated cycling modes? I would think that if you provide such a mode, you would make sure the heart rate monitoring is accurate in that mode.

Any tips to improve readings? It seems that once the monitor is losing the pulse, it has a very hard time recovering the actual heart rate.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,527
    Superusers
    In their defense, it is an all around sports watch with a dedicated cycling mode, no connection is made between this and HR. And it is not an issue for all users and not in all situations or all sports modes. I have never had the issue with cycling, but I tend to cycle more casually with a different handlebar configuration. It may also be that you are not wearing the watch tight enough or high enough and as you bend your wrists you are letting light in under the watch, which will throw off the readings, but you indicated you are wearing it correctly. To improve it you need to avoid cutting off your circulation at the wrist which would come from not bring all your weight on your forearms, but this may not be possible while still cycling the way you want. You also may see issues the other way, with the readings spiking or wobbling if you hit bumpy roads and the vibration of the bike overrides the signal from the HR and it will spike to your cadence (the sensor is not reading your pulse per se, it is looking for a rhythmic signal in a certain raneg and goes with the strongest one). These are issues you will have with any wrist based HR monitor, be it TT, Garmin, Suunto or any other brand. I have never had issues with it coming back, in my experience it recovers almost immediately, at least where I have experienced in weight training.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.