When does autopause of runner starts? — TomTom Community

When does autopause of runner starts?

janvangasteljanvangastel Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
I read that TomTom runner now has an auto pause function. Not in the watch, but in the software. I cannot find when it is activated. Do you have to stand still - run zero kilomers per hour - or is it already activated when going 2 or 3 or even 5 kilometers per hour?

As far as I can see the average speed/pace is calculated from the unpaused time. Maybe it's a good idea to add an average speed/pace for total time as well, for cases in which pausing (according to the TomTom criteria) is actually a regular part of the performance, so not really a pause.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,528
    Superusers
    It is not auto pause, it is pause detection done on the servers, there is nothing one the watch. after you upload an activity they analyze the data and apply speed thresholds to determine when you were not moving. The thresholds depend on the activity, so running would have a lower threshold than cycling for example. They then calculate a new metric "active time" in addition to "total time". As you noted then use active time for pace, which is preferred by some and not by others (for example, you may want the active pace during training but the total pace during a race which is based on total time). They are going to add a way to turn it off so users can decide which they prefer and set it accordingly.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • janvangasteljanvangastel Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for your answer, but it does not answer my question. I know there is a speed threshold used in the software and that it is not in the watch, but I wonder what the threshold is - how many kilometers per hour or something like that- for cycling and for running.
  • dazlpdazlp Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi - I'm also having some issues with auto-pause. I did some interval training (running) yesterday and although I never stopped TomTom has decided to autopause about 30 times within the space of a 45 minute workout - making my pace times etc impossible to reconcile.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyway to avoid it?

Thanks
    Daz
    Superusers
    dazlp wrote:
    Hi - I'm also having some issues with auto-pause. I did some interval training (running) yesterday and although I never stopped TomTom has decided to autopause about 30 times within the space of a 45 minute workout - making my pace times etc impossible to reconcile.

Thanks
    Daz

There are reports they are going to implement a way to turn the pause detection off, but nothing official has been announced. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.
  • Like a TigerLike a Tiger Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dazlp wrote:

Thanks
    Daz

Yeah, I have also had this issue with intervals. If I stand still during my breaks then the software seems to take the time off my interval work, meaning that the interval times are meaningless. Really frustrating, so much so that unless I can figure out how to turn it off then I will likely get a new watch (not TomTom).

If anyone knows how to turn it off please post here.
    Superusers
    If anyone knows how to turn it off please post here.

As mentioned several times in the thread there is currently no way to turn it off, but they are working on implementing an on/off option.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0