Spark 3 Cardio Sleep Monitor - Incorrect sleep recording — TomTom Community

Spark 3 Cardio Sleep Monitor - Incorrect sleep recording

BobBPragueBobBPrague Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
Purchased the Spark 3 Cardio at the weekend and the sleep monitor seems to be very flaky. Over six nights it has only recorded sleep for three and on one of those nights it only recorded half the night as I got up to use the bathroom in the early hours and it decided that was when my sleep finished. So it currently has less the 50% success rate on monitoring my sleep.

Is anyone else using this device to monitor their sleep and if so are they having more luck than I am? Is there anything I can do to maybe calibrate the device to work better?

Thanks.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,626
    Superusers
    There is nothing you can do to calibrate it. All it is using to sense sleep is movement; it does not look at HR or other factors so it would have to make assumptions as to quality of sleep based strictly on movement, which I imagine varies widely by person. Some people sleep like rocks and never move and some people shift a lot. The quality of sleep is the same for them, they just sleep differently. I think many of the devices and apps out there are just making wild guesses as they do not have brainwave monitors on or anything. They are just making assumptions based on your movement as well but putting it into a nice looking interface with lots of graphs to make it seem like they know more. It would be nice if TT could somehow detect and quantify the movement on a chart like you can with HR to see when you are shifting around more. They could possibly factor HR in somehow to detect when there is no movement and a lowered heart rate.

So if you are a fairly restless sleeper and move around a lot there is a chance that it will not be able to accurately detect your sleep patterns. In this case you can take it off your wrist and put it on a side table (make sure it is someplace that will not get moved or shaken) and it will detect you as asleep. Pick it up when you wake up to show you are awake. You will unfortunately then lose the 24/7 HR but will get sleep tracking. I would say it is fairly accurate in general. It seems to catch me falling asleep and waking up fairly well, although I do notice if I wake up 30 minutes before my alarm and fall back asleep it sometimes will not count the last 30 minutes. This may be because I was restless and was not still enough to register as sleep.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BobBPragueBobBPrague Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    So, wait! You are saying that the best way to use my $150 watch to measure my sleep is to take it off and not use it? If I'm going to go to the bother of taking it off when I go to bed and pick it up when I wake up I can bypass all that and simply look at my alarm clock at night and again in the morning.

The bottom line seems to be that the device is completely useless as a sleep monitor.
  • FionaMcFionaMc Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also having trouble getting my new Spark+Cardio+Music watch to record my sleep. I do have sleep apnoea but use a machine to try and mitigate this. Most nights only a third to half my sleep hours are being recorded. It's pretty annoying. I might try taking it off at night and see what difference that makes. Seems a bit crazy though...
  • D. WrightD. Wright Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I had similar similar experiences. Some nights, my Spark 3 (no music player) records what I know to be quite accurate sleep patterns, Other nights, the recorded sleep periods can be different to the extent of recording very short sleep periods or no sleep at all. I have even had situations where it has recorded that I am sleeping while at my desk working on the computer or watching TV.

I think the value of the sleep monitoring is knowing when one is active when one does not expect to be and inactive when one is alert. Viewing the heart rate for those periods DOES put the sleep data in perspective.

By the way, thanks for the answer on the monitoring method - I wanted to know about the sleep monitoring algorithm; now I know!!

What I'd really like in a Spark monitor is the addition of blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels; then I could really achieve control.... :nerd:
    Superusers
    D. Wright wrote:
    I had similar similar experiences. Some nights, my Spark 3 (no music player) records what I know to be quite accurate sleep patterns, Other nights, the recorded sleep periods can be different to the extent of recording very short sleep periods or no sleep at all. I have even had situations where it has recorded that I am sleeping while at my desk working on the computer or watching TV.

I think the value of the sleep monitoring is knowing when one is active when one does not expect to be and inactive when one is alert. Viewing the heart rate for those periods DOES put the sleep data in perspective.

By the way, thanks for the answer on the monitoring method - I wanted to know about the sleep monitoring algorithm; now I know!!

What I'd really like in a Spark monitor is the addition of blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels; then I could really achieve control.... :nerd:
    None of the things you want are even possible with this or any other currently available consumer technology, so you have a log wait. and it will never come from TT considering TT Sports went out of business over a year ago and ceased all production and development.
  • D. WrightD. Wright Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in a single fitness band was a "wish list"; I really don't expect it any time soon, but I do want that, then I could really achieve control.

I wasn't aware that Tom Tom had gone bust. What / who is the web site we keep logging into?
    Superusers
    D. Wright wrote:
    Blood pressure, blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in a single fitness band was a "wish list"; I really don't expect it any time soon, but I do want that, then I could really achieve control.

I wasn't aware that Tom Tom had gone bust. What / who is the web site we keep logging into?
    They are keeping the website going as there are people still using existing devices. I would expect at some point in the future it will be shut down altogether but I would not expect that for another 4-5 years (that is how long Nike kept the service alive after discontinuing the devices.