Sick and tired of these sync issues, (even with wired connection to laptop)

icrlp05icrlp05 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
TomTom, what is going on? I have a TomTom Runner 3 and if it actually worked it would be great. But IT DOESN'T SYNC. It used to work over bluetooth, then that stopped, now it doesn't even sync with a wired connection to the laptop.

All the usual stuff you say is done, so please spare the usuals unless you have something additional

up-to-date firmware,
up-to-date software,
un-paired and re-paired,
tried multiple devices
bla bla bla

There is 'recent activity' on the watch, accessible by pressing 'up' on the activity screen, but no chance to actually view on the app or web as the syncing is a total mess.

What's going on? How have you had repeated complaints all over this forum for so long and continually failed to fix this? If your product worked it'd be great and actually preferable to a Garmin. I'm right on the brink of getting a sub-optimal product from them and ditching the TomTom. If I factory reset will I lose the runs that are on the watch but refusing to sync?

Richard

Comments

• icrlp05icrlp05 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Trying to sync via app

'Waiting for watch - to wake up your watch press down from the clock screen'

*I press down on clock screen

App says 'preparing to sync - this will just take a moment'

Nothing happens

Trying to sync via wired connection to laptop

Connect via wire

Sports Connect desktop app says syncing bla bla bla, gets to 'Ready to Go' screen

Activities on the watch don't sync (although they are accessible on watch via pressing up on 'Run' screen)
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi icrlp05,

Welcome to the Community!

Sounds to me like you have a corrupt activity on your watch causing these problems. What you see on the watch are the summaries of your activities. I'm afraid the only way out of this situation is to factor reset your watch as instructed in this FAQ [support FAQ - Factory reset].

Please, post back here to tell us how you're doing with this so that we can help you further, if needed :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [TomTom Employee]
    icrlp05 wrote:
    Trying to sync via app

'Waiting for watch - to wake up your watch press down from the clock screen'

*I press down on clock screen

App says 'preparing to sync - this will just take a moment'

Nothing happens

Trying to sync via wired connection to laptop

Connect via wire

Sports Connect desktop app says syncing bla bla bla, gets to 'Ready to Go' screen

Activities on the watch don't sync (although they are accessible on watch via pressing up on 'Run' screen)
    Hi,
    The history on the watch is just a summary. When connected to a phone or PC the activity is copied off and deleted from the watch. So if you connected to your phone before the PC then there will be no activities for Sports Connect to upload. If the activity has not be uploaded by the mobile app you can copy it from your phone to your PC and upload it. See this page

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17391

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • icrlp05icrlp05 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Dear MikkoK and Stuart - thanks for taking the time to reply. After re-syncing and re installing the app a bunch of times it just worked and has been working for the last few days. Perhaps it was the time-zones that were causing a glitch as the runs were across a few, I don't know. Very frustrating.

Best regards

Richard
  • Julius SegoleJulius Segole Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Frankly I am disappointed with TomTom. Syncing has been a pain for several months now and there does not seem to be a robust fix from TomTom.

They do not seem to diagonise what are the various causes of this or scenarios under which this problem occurs and how to circumvent them by releasing better code to diagonise, fix and recover from the causes.

Instead users are burdened with constantly having to uninstall, unpair and reset device. I gave up on watch-phone sync and resorted to laptop sync but now I do not have a laptop since it was stolen and cannot get the benefit of useful stats from my runs. After a while I will be lucky and find that sync happend while I was minding my business and have no idea under what cirumstances did the sync work.

If they do not find a permanent fix soon I am dumping TomTom and going for other brands.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,172 [Superusers]
    Frankly I am disappointed with TomTom. Syncing has been a pain for several months now and there does not seem to be a robust fix from TomTom.

They do not seem to diagonise what are the various causes of this or scenarios under which this problem occurs and how to circumvent them by releasing better code to diagonise, fix and recover from the causes.

Instead users are burdened with constantly having to uninstall, unpair and reset device. I gave up on watch-phone sync and resorted to laptop sync but now I do not have a laptop since it was stolen and cannot get the benefit of useful stats from my runs. After a while I will be lucky and find that sync happend while I was minding my business and have no idea under what cirumstances did the sync work.

If they do not find a permanent fix soon I am dumping TomTom and going for other brands.
    Considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and has now recalled all inventory from the US and is not even selling any devices in their largest market), we can safely assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over six months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not something major particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves). Since the entire Sports Division was laid off months ago I expect many of these fixes will never be done, as they have no real incentive to since they are out of the market. Moving to another brand is your safest bet.
  • ruudtheduderuudthedude Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Syncing via iPhone wasn't a problem ever. Now I have a LG V30 and my watch (cardio and music) doesn't sync anymore. It does on my iMac though. But frustrating anyway.