TomTom Spark 3 headphones

gerbesdobler
gerbesdobler Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Good afternoon, I'm having trouble listening to songs during the races on my TomTom Spark 3. When I go running the songs are failing what makes running with the (original) phone unbearable. I wonder if this is a common defect, or should I send my watch for a service assessment?
Thank you.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    What do you mean by failing, they are not playing at all or the sound is choppy. Is it only during races or at all times? Did this develop recently or has it always been an issue? Reception issues are generally from the watch not being on the same side of the body as the headphone antenna. With the headphones with the controls on the right, the watch needs to be on the right. On the ones on the left, the watch needs to be on the left and the control pod needs to hang a bit loose, don't have the neck strap cinched up tight. The watch has a small power supply so it transmits a weaker signal than a phone or tablet so it is very sensitive to position. It really needs to be on the same side of the body as the antenna so your body doesn't block the signal. There are numerous factors that affect playback quality: the placement of the antenna in the headphones, the strength of the antenna, the strength of the signal produced by the watch (which is limited by transmission standards), the environment it is used in (which determines how much signal is lost versus bounced back to the headphones), battery strength of the headphones, etc.. You also need to look at how many layers you are wearing. If you have multiple layers of clothes on it will also block the signal. The only thing a user can really impact is the location of the watch relative to the antenna headphone and how much layers they are wearing.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • gerbesdobler
    Apprentice Seeker
    It was a partial solution. I put the clock on the right side (which has caused an inconvenience because I use the left side and the handset does not allow to change sides) and during a light race it worked well, but when the speed increases and the movement of the arms gets wider Begins to prick the sound slightly. It seems to me that the power of the antenna is insufficient for the purpose of the clock which is to listen to music while you train. I think it would be a matter of recalling and switching antennas from headphones or headphones to ones with more powerful antennas. Thank you
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    The issue is not with the antennas in the headphones, they generally do not detect more or less based on the antenna, it is the transmitter in the watch that is more the determining factor. However, they are limited to a certain transmission strength based on the class of the device so there is not too much they can do about it.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • gerbesdobler
    Apprentice Seeker
    Sorry, but it did not help ... When I pay a fortune for a watch where the advertisement says I can run and listen to music, it should at least keep the promise. If the problem is of the clock hardware then they exchange that mechanism and call for a recall otherwise they will be committing misleading advertisement.
  • 0aceone0
    0aceone0 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I bought a headphones for £11 off eBay and they work every time with no dropouts. This is what they are called. Sportsvan S-501 Wireless Bluetooth 4.1. hope it helps