Narrow country lanes - again (and again!) — TomTom Community

Narrow country lanes - again (and again!)

I've read all the advice offered and it simply isn't good enough. My GO 5000, even when set to fastest route, often takes me off a perfectly good main road to land me in a dangerously narrow country lane with blind bends and no passing places, just to save (presumably) a few seconds. Yesterday, it sent me off the A31, up a mile or so of tiny country lane, then back on to the A31 a little further along! Recently, it did the same thing on the North Circular, routing me through a complicated 20 mph housing estate with huge speed bumps just to return me to the North Circular. No obvious time saving, but a difficult, uneconomic and anti-social addition to my route!

PLEASE do what has been suggested before and give us a button that instructs the device to use only motorways, A-roads and B-roads. I know that would rule out a lot of short cuts in built-up areas, but you could select the button for all non-town driving.

PLEASE.....???

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi 42budgies,

Welcome to the Community!

We've received some similar feedback in the past and investigated the matter and most of these cases seem to be related to map data. As these are rather complicated issues to investigate, I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service. They can get to the bottom of your issue and report to the relevant team.

Thanks, Mikko
  • JohnnyCyprusJohnnyCyprus Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
    I agree, but it has been requested a long time ago and I don't think anything has been done
  • xDagXxDagX Posts: 95 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Cornwall last year Complete Nightmare sending you down single track lanes that get narrower hawthorn hedges touching both door's as you travel along you use satnav because you don't know the area obviously & this is what you get narrow single track lane's it is known about has been for year's nothing will be done just same old story we are looking at it
  • GrahamacGrahamac Posts: 61 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Just posted again on the same issue is it now a total p**s take or what.

Never answer the question, all you get is we are looking in to it try a drum roll reset.
    I think this has been a issue for 4 years or more. So don't hold your breath.
  • cc32051cc32051 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    xDagX wrote:
    Cornwall last year Complete Nightmare sending you down single track lanes that get narrower hawthorn hedges touching both door's as you travel along you use satnav because you don't know the area obviously & this is what you get narrow single track lane's it is known about has been for year's nothing will be done just same old story we are looking at it
    I returned from a holiday in Axminster, West Bay, Weymouth area two weeks ago and had identical issues been taken through narrow country lanes with hardly passing places. Not knowing the area at all was quite nerve wracking going down these lanes to be bet with heavy machinery coming the opposite direction
  • AldridgeAndyAldridgeAndy Posts: 24 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    This seems to be happening more frequently now with the latest firmware and maps update.

A total nightmare, some of these country lanes may be "viewed as having a 60mph speed limit" but you'd be lucky to get up to 30 mph safely.

It would be safer and more sensible to stick to the main roads than to save 30 seconds and risk your life!
  • Mr CowherdMr Cowherd Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just returned from a holiday in North Cornwall / Devon (near Bude). My Go 5200 kept plotting routes along narrow single-track roads in order to save mere minutes compared to full-width roads. Far from saving time, journeys actually took longer due to the frequent reversing back to the limited passing places and heaven knows the damage done to my car on these pot-hole riddled tracks.

I actually ended up planning each journey manually, setting waypoints at each junction along the way, because the device could not be trusted not to take me up some narrow pot-hole riddled track.

Absolutely shocking, and not what I expect from a high end device.
  • smashysmashy Posts: 235 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have to say ,that this problem makes my 6100 basically a redundant product,last year in cornwall was terrible ,turned it off and used a free phone app. Kent on business a month ago total stress going from appt to appt ...whats the point???
  • Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    This has been a problem with these devices for a long long time just like the lane guidance issue but for some reason TT seem reluctant to fix them or simpy can't because the software engineers are not up to the job....the go6200 will be my last ever Tomtom and i've been a customer ever since sat navs first became available...shocking quality for a so called high end device
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 501 [Exalted Navigator]
    This of course begs the question, if it's possible to select motorways to be avoided, why can't unclassified roads be selected? How can this be "related to map data" and be "rather complicated issues to investigate" or is the map data that c**p that it's not possible to know whether a road is an A/B road or not? Either way, this is totally unsatisfactory for any satellite navigation device, let alone these expensive units, which not only can't plan a sensible route but also can't hold a battery charge for more than half an hour or so if you're lucky. Perhaps we should start lobbying the elected members of the government to consider having these devices banned until they are fit for purpose as they are potentially putting people's lives at risk, even in the daytime, let alone at night. As for my GO 5100, it can stay in its box in the loft, ready to go on e-bay or maybe the bin as I'm not entirely comfortable asking someone to part with their hard-earned money for this overpriced piece of [add your own expletive to suit].
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 43 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    They all seem to do this and it's ridiculous beyond belief. As a friend once said to me, only use these things when nearing areas or towns where you are a complete stranger and then you won't know the difference.
    I sometimes plot a well known route from my house in BR2 to Westerham and my stupid VW Discover whatsisname built in Satnav, tells me to leave the main B and A roads and go all round the houses using some very narrow unclassified road - it's lunacy
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 43 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Alternatively buy a set of Ordnance Survey maps. That is what I had always done in the past. Satnavs are very primitive in their logic but they look nice especially as in some new models can be displayed between the main dial on a virtual display. Bugger all use but nice looking.
  • Eighties RefugeeEighties Refugee Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    A very real issue as my GO 510 has taken me down some totally unsuitable roads for no real gain. Tom Tom need to pull their finger out and get it sorted.
  • 12banana1212banana12 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes same problem here, my Go 51 has exactly the same problem, as described above by all the other members on this thread.

As far as I can understand this seems to be due to BAD MAP data, some of the lanes I end up in are marked as 60mph and some don´t even have speed limit.
    I think your algorithm assumes that these lanes are viable for 60mph drive and takes them into consideration when planning the route.

You guys need to address this, it is simply dangerous, in several ocasions I ended up in nerve wrecking situations:

Had to back up for almost 500m meter due to meeting a tractor in a single lane.
    Ended up in a lane without salt on a day the roads were frozen, ended up driving at 5mph for 40 minutes.
    Ended up in a flooded lane and had to back up more then 200m.

Just create a ignore lane option
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    I'm not sure it is bad map data. The older generation of TomTom's did not do this -- certainly not to this degree anyhow. The maps couldn't have gotten worse, but the new algorithms certainly have!
    Well I completely lost my patience with this a few weeks ago and threw my Go 5100 where it belonged - into the rubbish bin. Enough is enough concerning these c**p, expensive products. How can the likes of Google plan a sensible route and yet these devices, which ought to be "the bees' knees" of navigation, can't resist sending drivers down totally-unsuitable country lanes, which in reality are little more than bridle tracks in some cases? It really is pathetic. Let's face it - the likes of TomTom are never going to fix this. If they really had the will to do so, they would have done it long ago, even if that meant changing their map data supplier. These devices should be banned, as they are patently putting users in danger. I think I'm going to write to my MP and recommend that they be banned until they actually do become fit for purpose.
  • smashysmashy Posts: 235 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    well done Brian E,,,,,saying it like it is .......forum members have been going on about this for at least 5 years,nothing will change ,what are you using now buddy googlemaps on the phone? Just so fiddly though
    smashy wrote:
    well done Brian E,,,,,saying it like it is .......forum members have been going on about this for at least 5 years,nothing will change ,what are you using now buddy googlemaps on the phone? Just so fiddly though
    I'm sort of using a combination of things. If I'm crossing rural areas, I pre-plan my route by first using MyRoute-app, which uses Google maps by default but if you're a Gold member, you can also use TomTom or Here (Garmin) maps. I then check whether the route is similar in Garmin's Basecamp (which allows you to set your own speeds for certain classes or roads as you can see in the image I've uploaded), making any adjustments necessary before sending it to my Garmin DriveLuxe 50 LMT-D. It's not perfect, but it avoids nasty surprises. MyRoute-app is supposed to be able to send routes direct to both TomTom and Garmin devices, but it's not fully functional at the moment.
  • aparsonsaparsons Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Had the same problem recently, taken off a perfectly good A30 to go down ridiculous country lanes adding lots of time to to the journey. When we got the old AA map book out and plotted a proper route the time just dropped off as did the stress level. I agree the route planning on these devices is not fit for purpose and worse it is not even at the current state of the art that a reasonable person should expect given the standard of most software today.
    Time to pan these devices on the consumer websites. What do Which? have to say?
  • LiddoLiddo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just had the same experience as xDagX had a year ago with my new and newly updated Via 52 EU. Long stretches of single track Cornish lanes loosing paint from the sides of my car pushing hedges aside as I went and praying that I didn't meet anyone when I later found there was a perfectly good main road running parallel a half mile away. Can't see any way to avoid it happening again other than studying a map first to plan my own route and write down some waypoints that would help me cheat the stupid TomTom. - Plan my own route?!
  • JoYapJoYap Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have two Go 5000.
    Force to find resolution online and came here...
    I will be getting rid of both of them...any offers before i chuck these rubbish devices on ebay?
    42budgies wrote:
    I've read all the advice offered and it simply isn't good enough. My GO 5000, even when set to fastest route, often takes me off a perfectly good main road to land me in a dangerously narrow country lane with blind bends and no passing places, just to save (presumably) a few seconds. Yesterday, it sent me off the A31, up a mile or so of tiny country lane, then back on to the A31 a little further along! Recently, it did the same thing on the North Circular, routing me through a complicated 20 mph housing estate with huge speed bumps just to return me to the North Circular. No obvious time saving, but a difficult, uneconomic and anti-social addition to my route!

PLEASE do what has been suggested before and give us a button that instructs the device to use only motorways, A-roads and B-roads. I know that would rule out a lot of short cuts in built-up areas, but you could select the button for all non-town driving.

PLEASE.....???
    This has been going on for 5 year's at least to my knowledge mate nothing will be done your wasting your time.
    Same old same old "we are looking at it"
    sad but true
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi

All the same issues here. A quick fix I found that worked on an older TomTom sat nav was to enter in a maximum speed I was going to travel at, by knocking this down to say 50 (making it artificially lower than reality), all of a sudden these lanes with a "speed limit of 60" were suddenly less of an advantage, so the shorter distance came into play and it would map routes on A roads and motorways and ignore the lanes. Of course they've taken that ability away.

I can't see what is so difficult that TomTom can't solve this problem though. They will have average speeds from real data of all the main roads collected from users, and when it comes to quiet lanes, I expect they have very little data to go on, so rather than default to the national speed limit, just set it to say 30mph. Areas known for narrow lanes like Cornwall could default to something even slower matching the reality. The routing is then going to favour main roads by default.

Also TomTom should know the national speed limit is a maximum allowed by law, it isn't a minimum speed or an achievable speed for every road and isn't a useful "default" speed if they have no other data.

I would suggest the real factor behind not allowing us to avoid lanes, is so they can sell a more expensive product for use by larger commercial vehicles, which presumably avoids such roads without too much difficulty.
  • Rhubarb1Rhubarb1 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have just driven from the West Country to East Anglia and have experienced exactly as described above. Deviation from roads through narrow country roads only to re-emerge back onto the same A road. I found it easier to switch off and ask my wife who was a passenger to guide me using a map. It rather defeats the object of having the sat nav. Tom Tom really must resolve this.