Charging during training? Possible?

TomFan
TomFan Registered Users Posts: 53
Outstanding Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi there,

I plan to participate in an ultramarathon which lasts over 20hours. I would love my tomtom to be alive and record the whole event. Is it possible to charge it during workout using a powrbank? So far when I try to do it the workout is stopped and the watch switches to charging mode.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    Unfortunately the answer is not easily (and realistically no). When the watch senses a change in power state it resets, so if you plug it in mid-activity it will reset. If you start it plugged into a power bank and leave it in the whole time, letting the bank run out and naturally switch to watch battery it will not reset. However, the trick is getting the cradle to not come loose the entire time (which will cause a reset), which is likely if it is in a pack. You also will not be able to wear it nor will you get HR. You could try taping it or something possibly, but I would practice it ahead of time. You're better off using multiple devices and joining the files together afterwards. You will still have two entries in MySports but you can upload the joined file to anywhere else you log your activities, like Strava. If you have an Adventurer you can use Hiking mode which will get you 20 hours, but at a reduced accuracy as it polls GPs less often.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • TomFan
    Outstanding Explorer
    Did I understand correctly that I cannot let go of the cradle even after the powerbank ran out of juice? I was thinking to keep in the bank and after that wear it. Can I ? Or do you mean that disconnecting the cradle will result in a reset?
  • TomFan
    Outstanding Explorer
    and one more thing. how much can I prolong the battery life with HR sensor turned off?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Once the powerbank is totally out and it is running on watch battery unplugging it will not reset it. But the chances of it never jostling at all and resetting while on the powerbank in your pack are low. You would need to tape it together or something, which is going to make it hard to get it on. You are really better off getting a watch with an ultra mode or using multiple watches. I have a 17 hour race this weekend and will wear 2 watches, turning one off after 9 hours and starting the next one. Whatever you do, you should test it out beforehand.

Battery life is rated for around 5 hours for GPS/HR/Music, 9 for GPS/HR, 11 for GPS only (that includes pause time as the sensors are still on - so if during a 2 hour activity you had 30 minutes of pause it was 2:30 of battery life, not just the 2 hours it was recording for). Those of course are estimates and best case scenario and are impacted by usage (using backlight, switching screens, etc.) and environmental conditions (overcast skies, tree cover, tall buildings, etc.). If you have night mode or the backlight on that is going to impact it greatly. I have found that they are pretty accurate estimates and my usage and testing has pretty well matched them. Bear in mind that the battery gauge is a rough estimate at best and I have gone many hours when it indicates that it was almost empty.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • xower
    xower Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi, I've been dealing with this kind of problem on hiking holiday, as I wanted my whole-day hikes to be recorded. I had my Runner 3 on my backpack strap and connected to powerbank (20000 mAh, so it was no chance of running out of juice). It did work, if I connected the powerbank first, then started the activity. BUT - a big but - once the watch battery was fully charged it stopped charging and acted as if there was no powerbank at all. So I could extend my battery life just for the time the battery gets to full charge (preferably from drained battery, as it gets longest to charge). So based on this experience I could get circa 12-13 hours instead of 10-11. But I did not get, at any chance, the full potential of the 20k mAh powerbank.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Interesting observation. I did not experience the same thing, mine went for 24+ hours until I got tired of testing it. I plugged it into the powerbank, started the activity and it ran fro over a day. I wonder if at some point your connection got loosened so it stopped drawing power.
  • xower
    xower Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    I doubt it was a loose connection as the same situation repeated for several days and the cable holds on the watch pretty firmly. But it might be the powerbank (Xiaomi) function that it turns off after some period of time when the watch battery is charged and won't start charging until the cable is reconnected again. Don't know, can't test it with another model.
  • TomFan
    Outstanding Explorer
    I also did some testing and my observations are just like the tfarabaugh's
    I connected to powerbank and got tired of testing after 12 hours, but when I connected it to powerbank - the watch was almost fully charged and for the whole 12 hours it was charging. So it looks like the watch never cąme to a point of being too full of energy.
    I did my testing with optical HR sensor on so it might have been the reason.