Store data only on pc/laptop not in the cloud like TomTom Sport website — TomTom Community

Store data only on pc/laptop not in the cloud like TomTom Sport website

SnarfieSnarfie Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
I want to store my data ONLY on my pc/laptop or watch but not in the cloud as it is in the current situation making use TomTom Sports who sync the data to the cloud.
Lots of people don't want store their data in the cloud for privacy reasons like hart conditions etc. etc.

Is there a possibility to extract data directly from my Muti-sport cardio watch without sync it first to the cloud.
Further more is there software for a pc where in could make the data visible as in Tomtom Sport.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,525
    Superusers
    No there is not, it uses the MySports servers to process the data and get it into a readable format. In order to get the data into usable files it needs to sync with the cloud to create them. TomTom does nothing with your data, it is simply used for you to track your own progress. It stores no identifiable information with it, just the email address you associated with the watch. It would have no way of knowing if you have a heart condition (and wouldn't do anything with it even if it did). In my opinion, privacy concerns around MySports are unfounded, it is simply an archive of exercise data for your use, there is no particular risk from it, but to each their own. If you want you can sync the data each time, it will put the file son your watch and then you can go into MySports and immediately delete the activity if you are concerned, so your account will always be empty.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • SnarfieSnarfie Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    TomTom does nothing with your data, it is simply used for you to track your own progress.

I think you are quite naive. I'm sure Tom Tom has not the intention to sell this data to let say "life insureance compagnies" who love to get their hands on this data. One screw up and the data is gone. Even if you delete your stored data their could be a backup (that you don't know of) you can't realy give any assurance what so ever. Let me put it 180 degrees around. Let Tom Tom give you the choice to store it only on your device like a pc, laptop or choose for the cloud or both. This will be a fair and straid forward solution because the customer has a choice (now he does not which is suspicious). This is so simple to programe in a firmware upgrade. Basicly the data is already stored on your HDD in windows c:user/name. Suche a solution also shows that Tom Tom can't and will not use this data commercialy eventually. Do know that this sort of great devices are also used by people with all sorts of heart conditions (24 hour monitoring) that don't want their data in the cloud regardless if you are for or against it pure for privacy reasons.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi,
    You can see how we use your data here

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/privacy/sports/

Notably, "We will not give anyone else access to your information or use it for any other purpose, unless explicitly and lawfully ordered to do so following due legal process."

and "[this will]...delete all your information from TomTom Sports without the possibility to restore it."

Also, if you go to your account
    https://mysports.tomtom.com/beta/settings/units/

and uncheck the 'Help Us Improve' flag then we can't even used your anonymized data.

Disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just going by how the code works.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • SnarfieSnarfie Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Stuart,

As i note before i don't think Tom Tom has any bad intentions and has all disclaimers and fail-save software rulings in place (as you describe) but still that is not the point.
    The point is that lots of people don't want any (personal data) data into the cloud. Acknowledge that lots of user want to keep their data private.
    Give the customer a choice as i wrote before (on HDD only into the cloud or both) that's all I'm suggesting. It is so easy to bring this functionality into a firmware upgrade.

Regards

Frans
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0