TomTom GO Mobile app crashing on iOS 11 — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Mobile app crashing on iOS 11

Ac98Ac98 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Go app crashes on iOS 11 app is up to date

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Ac98,

Welcome to the Community!

We don't support beta releases, so unfortunately there's little we can do for you hear. However, similar issues have already been reported here and I've forwarded the info to the product team. They're quick to pick up beta OS releases as soon as they become available and begin testing to make sure we have full support by the time the official release comes out.

Cheers, Mikko
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 316 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi Ac98,

I know that iOS is still beta, but does the old legacy TomTom iOS app run under iOS 11?

Regards,
  • Johnne25Johnne25 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue as well. Just to show more people move the iOS beta's than you may think.
  • chris1810chris1810 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Same issue. No response to my ticket 170613-xxxxxxx, asking if I could beta test the app using TestFlight and if you were aware. Many people use beta software and there will definitely be lots of complaints once the iOS11 public beta gets released next month. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. :?

Mod edit: Please don't post private/personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Tomtom go mobile crashes on their latest platform but their old tomtom app works still on iOS 11 Beta. I’ve given up with the new app I’m back with Sygic and re-downloaded the old tomtom app. Using the new app feels like 10 steps backwards even just comparing with thier old app. Sygic is much more advance and can compare with the old app
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

As I've mentioned above, we don't support beta releases but we do test on them internally to be ready when the public release goes out. As also mentioned, these crashes are already well documented and the team is aware of them. If you'd like to help us further, please send the crash logs to help the team to make sure all scenarios are covered.

Our beta testing program in general is by invitation only. However, we'd be happy to forward your wish to participate to the team to see if they have a place for a new tester.

Cheers, Mikko
  • ThroySThroyS Posts: 50 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @mikkok if you need testers I can test I’ve got iPhone 7+ 256gb running ios 11 beta. No problem with storage for testing maps etc.
  • GizMoCuzGizMoCuz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    As iOS 11 beta tester it is also our duty to report this issues to you.
    And when we do, an answer 'We do not support beta operating systems' is not the answer we hoped for.
    It seems to crash on all iOS 11 installations, so it should be very easy to test against ?

Please give us a working version... we are also paid customers !
  • IGIIGI Posts: 141 [Outstanding Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

As I've mentioned above, we don't support beta releases but we do test on them internally to be ready when the public release goes out. As also mentioned, these crashes are already well documented and the team is aware of them. If you'd like to help us further, please send the crash logs to help the team to make sure all scenarios are covered.

Our beta testing program in general is by invitation only. However, we'd be happy to forward your wish to participate to the team to see if they have a place for a new tester.

Cheers, Mikko

MikkoK, we do not ask for any troubleshooting. We know it's beta.

People just want to help you.

I have to add that iOS 11 beta 2 (for developers) is still having problems with TomTom Go app. Like I said before, every crash report with the right options goes to your iOS developers. Of course I advise people to submit bug reports through Feedback app as there is an option to choose "3rd party app" problems.

Of course I would happily participate in your TestFlight program.
    Hi IGI,

I'm not sure if we're beta testing our software on beta OSs. I've asked the team about this and whether they could use more testers. I'll post back here as soon as I learn more about this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Johnne25Johnne25 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the update. I was hoping it would be fixed by Apple in the iOS 11 beta 2.
  • GreyGoosseGreyGoosse Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to let you guys know: there are more people than you might think that are on iOS 11 and like people here say: we are also paying customers... and it’s not getting any better with the public beta scheduled for release end of this month. And that is a huge wave of unhappy customers.
    Hi GreyGoose,

Welcome to the Community!

That's a valid point. There are many "early adopters" installing beta releases at an early state. This allows Apple and the various app developers to learn about possible issues before the OS is released to the wider public. It should always be kept in mind - and I'm sure is communicated as well - that running beta releases may risk facing problems with some apps.

Supporting beta releases is challenging as many things may still change. TomTom is not officially supporting beta releases and you're using the app on them at your own risk.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Erwin_ZErwin_Z Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Also crashes on iOS 11 Public beta 1.
    Erwin
  • JensDJensD Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, same issue on Public beta as in Dev beta.
  • alinajetlyalinajetly Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have downloaded iOS 11 before the native release on my iPhone 7 Plus. and I also having trouble of after installing iOS 11 App crashing issue my iPhone. But i tried given steps and easily get rid of on issue.
    - updates in iOS and Apps
    - Relaunch & Force Quit app
    - Restart or Reboot
    And more solution here :D - https://www.howtoisolve.com/apps-crashing-in-ios-11-iphone-ipad/
  • robik130robik130 Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    You want to say that you managed to run TT on iOS11?
  • chris1810chris1810 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    “I have received an update about your case from 2nd Line Technical Team and have been informed that iOS 11 is still in Beta and is not yet supported by GO mobile app.

Once a stable version is released for iOS 11 we will release a compatible version for GO mobile app.” - TomTom Support after I complained above that I didn’t receive an answer.

With a company the size of TomTom, I was hoping to get a better answer.

Let people sign up to your beta testing, that’s why Apple created that function!

Please! Get it sorted.
  • SnakeySnakey Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Mine also crashed - as you all say we are paying customers - not good enough. They knew it was coming .....why weren’t the team prepared ?
  • Erwin_ZErwin_Z Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    If I can be of any help beta testing a version of TomTom GO that will run on IOS 11 Public beta, please let me know.
    I'm running TomTom GO Europe on an iPhone 7 Plus.
    Erwin
  • max_from_pinemax_from_pine Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    A crash on starting the app is an easy fix, something a team can include in the next update before iOS 11 is officially released.

Apple is updating their public betas, but the core of the OS won't change, a fix now is a fix for the official release as the app is not even starting.

Hope TomTom will update the app soon and include in the build this fix...
  • fransgfransg Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same issue here. Most apps work fine with IOS11 and a few won't. That TomTom Go would not work is a surprise to me.
  • DarrellvDarrellv Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    +1999 please fix ASAP, as a lot of people have point out I suspect TomTom underestimate how many iOS users are part of the beta program
  • jcwackyjcwacky Posts: 39 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    If you install a beta version of iOS and some third party apps don't function properly, you have no right to complain, as you should expect this. By all means, inform the developer if you don't think they are aware of the issue, but do not expect a fix until the final "golden master" version of iOS is released. Paying customers or not.

Apple changes many things over the course of beta updates, and it's often not worth developers focusing on getting their app working with the early betas as Apple could change things again in a later beta version. This may even be an issue on Apple's part, that they'll fix in a later beta and may not necessarily be something TomTom need to fix themselves.

If the app still crashes once the latest iOS version has been publicly released, only then can you begin to complain.
  • DarrellvDarrellv Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    That’s fine and well but based on (many years / decades) dealing with TomTom in the past with bugs (even going back to stand alone units) it’s best to voice concern / make them aware of issues like this as they can be very slow in addressing such problems (even extending WELL into the final OS release post period). It’s highlighly unlikely to be an “Apple problem” but of course it’s possible. In the meantime I guess the solution is to use the older TomTom app.