Acces to location for Bluetooth? — TomTom Community

Acces to location for Bluetooth?

Erik09Erik09 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
My tomtom sports-app (android) says that it needs acces to my location, in order to... use bluetooth reliably..? Without accepting that peculiar statement, it won't allow me to use the app. What's up with that?

Regards,
Erik

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,677
    Superusers
    It is just a standard request, I believe they use it for the GPS QuickFix file to determine where you are relative to the satellite coverage.. make sure you are on the latest version because I believe they reduced the number of required permissions in the latest version.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Erik09Erik09 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you tfarabaugh. Meanwhile, I installed the tomtom sports-app and immediately afterwards switched access to location to 'off' in app-management (android). The app seems to work fine without the permission.

Anyway, I think access to location, contacts etc. should never be 'standard' in the sense that it is considered normal, especially when it does not seem to serve a clear goal. Imo app makers should always be crystal clear about what a permission is going to be used for, so everyone can make a well-founded decision whether to use the app or not. In this case, the app stated that it needed the access in order for Bluetooth to function properly, which really doesn't make any sense. BTW I'm using the Dutch (translated) version of the app.

Regards,
    Erik
    Screenshot (for the sake of completeness): "The android version on your telephone requires acces to your location, in order to use Bluetooth reliably."

f8304f6e-e84a-4412-bc3c-57ae31ce363a.png
    What does the icon 'Modbreak' mean, right under my name in the last post?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,677
    Superusers
    That is the last message in the thread viewed by a moderator. It is just a way for them to know what has been read and what hasn't, as there are multiple moderators.