Discover the world's greatest rides with TomTom Road Trips

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 30 in News and announcements
[h2]New digital platform created to inspire all those taking to the roads this summer[/h2]

8e15165b-9f7f-42e6-a1ab-2f059b46e59c.jpg

Amsterdam, 6 June 2017 – TomTom today launches TomTom Road Trips, roadtrips.tomtom.com, a free platform which lets travellers discover the worlds’ best road trips, and allows them to plan their route for that ultimate journey.

With TomTom Road Trips, drivers can find inspiration from a collection of over 90 curated routes[1] from across the globe. From the stunning Amalfi Coast, to the sensational Australian Great Ocean Road; the picturesque South African Chapman’s Peak, to the epic Route 66.

“We know our customers use their sat navs to help them discover the unknown and explore the world, and with the summer holiday season approaching, we wanted to make it easier for people to discover the best road trips the world has to offer,” said Corinne Vigreux, co-founder and managing director of TomTom Consumer. “With TomTom Road Trips drivers and bikers can get inspired, plan, and enjoy the freedom of exploring the open road on a weekend away or holiday road trip.”

TomTom Road Trips works seamlessly with TomTom MyDrive, TomTom’s existing online route planner. Drivers can pick a route, add stops and Point of Interests (POIs) or even just drag the route to include a particular road they want to drive. Users can then save and sync all their pre-planned routes instantly with their TomTom navigation device[2] before they set off. Go and explore the world’s best routes, it’s as easy as plan, sync & go!

[h3]Availability[/h3]

TomTom Road trips is available as of today via roadtrips.tomtom.com.

[1] 93 routes from launch and more to follow

[2] MyDrive compatible devices are listed on http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19639

See the full press release here and more information and discussion here.

Comments

• CEA5TCEA5T Posts: 14 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I drove the entire length of Route 66 a couple of years back, but I have to say that your new Road Trip looks completely wrong, especially between Chicago and Oklahoma City. Chris
    GO Live 1005 Europe
    GO 6000 Europe & USA
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi CEAST,

Thanks for your feedback!

Could you point out in a bit more detail how you find the route wrong, please?

Thanks, Mikko
    Hi Mikko,

Well, I have not downloaded the detailed map data as I don't need it, but just browsing your image of the route map at TomTom webpage:

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=itinerary+viewport=39.08444,-102.11925,4.54,0,-0+itinerary={"id":"88762ed9-7168-45df-86f2-22af671eff74"}+ver=2

it shows Route 66 heading directly west from Chicago and across Iowa. The correct track of R66 should be in a south-westerly direction through Illinois and Missouri, then cutting across a corner of Kansas, through to Oklahoma City. I did not check much further, but I did notice that the spectacular Sitgreaves Pass between Kingman and Oatman in Arizona is by-passed altogether, even though this location is surely one of the many highlights of the drive.

My journey was planned using the excellent EZ66 Guide written by Jerry McClanahan and published by the National Historic Route 66 Federation, which I painstakingly programmed into my TomTom GO6000 with excellent results.

Regards, Chris
    GO Live 1005 Europe
    GO 6000 Europe & USA
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Thanks, Chris!

I'll forward this to the team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ruud61Ruud61 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    How do I get rid of this roadtrips button on my map page of the MyDrive app?
    Good question Ruud. You'll see that I pointed out major errors in their road trip of Route 66, and after an exchange of private messages with MikkoK, I offered to provide a fairly comprehensive file of the correct waypoints. The 'team' never got back to me, so I would be sceptical as to the accuracy of this facility. Chris
    GO Live 1005 Europe
    GO 6000 Europe & USA
  • RubachRubach Posts: 241 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Mikko or someone...?

You really need to forward this link on Norways 18 national Tourist Routes to the "RoadTripTeam" and have them all implemented in your RoadTrips database!

These scenic drives are all nothing short of spectacular. Full info and complete route descriptions in this link to Norwegian National Tourist Routes in Norway: http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

Best regards
    John