TomTom GO Mobile Sound problems?

Gary BGary B Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi i have subscribed to TomTom Go on my Mobile and have just been out to see if all ok, well it seems not. Very impressed with the usability and Maps look great on my Mobile. Problem is i use my Mobile to play Music through my Car speakers [Amazon Music] , and the voice for Maps is very low, i can't hear it over the Music, when i tried to increase using the Volume setting for Maps it just increased the Music at same time? When i changed volume via mobile same thing.
Prior to Tom Tom i had been using Now Maps and this worked fine without me having to change any settings, i think it used to slightly mute my music before giving me instructions. I connect Mobile via Cig adapter although i do have a separate usb which i have not tried yet, perhaps that would work?
Any ideas would be most appreciated Thanks

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm afraid there isn't very much we can do here. The app currently uses the Media channel for audio output which is the same used by music apps. What you could try is to turn the volume down from your music app and making sure it's at max in GO Mobile.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Gary BGary B Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks yes perhaps I could look into that option , however I have deleted app for time being. I don't do a lot of driving so can't justify paying / installing a dedicated Sat Nav system.
    Have gone back to Here we go Maps for the time being.
  • tvkanterstvkanters Posts: 10 [TomTom Employee]
    In the latest version (1.17), you can now select the audio channel that the app plays the instructions through. This way you have have separate volume levels for music an navigation instructions!
    Thanks for that Great news! Although I am not having any issues at the moment all works as it should, will try it out though Thanks.
  • John RFJohn RF Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    tvkanters wrote:
    In the latest version (1.17), you can now select the audio channel that the app plays the instructions through. This way you have have separate volume levels for music an navigation instructions!
    I tried all the audio channels. Using some audio channels there's severe stutter. With others there's no audio at all. The only audio channel which seemed to work as expected was the Notifications channel. However, two previously reported problems are still occurring, namely:

1. Navigation instructions are cut off at the middle and then resumed a few seconds later
    2. Navigation instructions volume is still not high enough. Even after setting the separate volume level for navigation to 100%

By comparison, navigation instructions on HERE WeGo work perfectly: clear and loud enough. Shame TomTom hasn't been able to fix this issue because it's a clearly superior app in terms of UI and features.

I'm willing to provide debugging information and, if necessary, to do beta testing.

Version: 1.17.1 (no previous TomTom Go version was ever installed on the device)
    Android version: 6.0.1
    Hardware: Double DIN head unit
    Thanks for that, not been using my Tom Tom Go due to ill health so not been out much to try it. I did get the directions cutting out last time I used it though,
  • SGGPSGGP Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I fully agree with John RF, in that at least the second point remains to be fixed:

2. Navigation instructions volume is still not high enough. Even after setting the separate volume level for navigation to 100%.

I just used the app and it is definitely too quiet, i.e. navigation instructions, in my case via bluetooth headset (which worked fine in combination with another device I have the same app installed on), are too low in volume.

Could you please fix this?
  • TrendsettertecTrendsettertec Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Has anyone figured out how to increase the nav volume? It’s still to low. Mine is set up to lower music volume but travel down a freeway and you can barely hear it. Roll down a window or open a sunroof and you can just forget it all togeather. I have it set at 100%. The iPhone maps that Tom Tom does works just fine. Load the actual Tom Tom app and same thing as the android version. Volume is way to low..
  • John RFJohn RF Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi @Trendsettertec
    First check if TomTom's internal volume is set to 100%.
    Then, if you're using a "computer voice", try switching to a "recorded voice". I noticed the latter are louder.
    You may also try to fiddle around with the audio channels to see if that makes any difference.
  • TrendsettertecTrendsettertec Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks John RF. I started with the recorded. Not much different. Tom Tom I’ve been told is who does the iPhone maps app that works great. That’s why I went with the Tom Tom actual app on my android nav in my cars. After the low volume I decided to try the Tom Tom app on my iPhone instead of the iPhone maps and it also had a low volume. So i deleted it from my iPhone and went back to maps but I don’t have that option on my android nav in my cars. I don’t like to look at the map while driving. I use the voice primarily but it’s of little or no use with such a low volume.
  • Per5678Per5678 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    While working out which audio-output to use I wish the app had a test-button on the audio-channel selection-page that when pressed would send some audio to the selected channel. Maybe that could be added in a future release? Currently running version 1.17.7.
  • Per5678Per5678 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In my car there is a Pioneer radio/satnav unit with Bluetooth installed. It's navigation-software is somewhat lacking and maps rather outdated so I'd like to use Go on a smartphone instead. The smartphone uses the on-board audio via Bluetooth and is set to transfer the audio-channels for media, phone (voice) and ringing via Bluetooth. This works fine for telephony where I for example can listen to radio from the on-board system and have that automatically interrupted by an incoming or outgoing call. Voice and ringtones are both transferred to Bluetooth. The audio from Go, OTOH does not go through on Bluetooth regardless which audio-channel I choose for the nav-instructions in the app. How, if I for example use the ringtone-channel, would the car-system be able to differentiate between the phone's ringtone and a spoken message from Go?

To me it seems like there must be an issue with how the audio from Go is routed on the phone. I can have spoken instructions from Go to the on-board audio-system, but only by using the media-channel for audio and have the on-board audio-system set to use Bluetooth for media input. Thus no radio :-(