Offroad track on Rider 400 — TomTom Community

Offroad track on Rider 400

MartinATMartinAT Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I've been enjoying my Rider 400 that replaced a Zumo 550 a lot. Now I want to ride an allroad route, with some offroad sections (trails). When I imported the original track in the TT400, the devices recalculated the track to kwown roads. It seems the TT400 map is missing the trails, although these are found on the "Open Street Maps" and are legal to ride on.
It would be great if the TT400 did not recalculate the track, even when a part of the track is not included in the installed map. Thats the reason to use an original GPX track instead of a route, just to follow the "sand trail".

Comments

• BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    I think to not upset TT's strategy on calculating gpx tracks, the best approach would be to show the original track as an over-/underlay on the map.
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    If you selected unpaved roads in the setting menu on the devise and turned the gpx into a route so that you install more waypoints that may help
  • MartinATMartinAT Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @Blieje,
    A sort of overlay of the track would be useful, routing isn't necessary, the user only has to be able to follow the track.

@Tugman
    Settings, avoid unpaved roads is unselected.
    I even tried "Walking route" for type of road, bus doesn't work either.

I guess, if the road / trail is'nt on the map, the Rider doesn't recognize it and can't be used.
  • Rider400Rider400 Posts: 162 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Nope, indeed. The Rider will only works on roads it knows. That can be unpaved roads but they must be on the map
  • estebandfestebandf Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    It would be great to see that feature implemented on the TT Rider 400, that it could overlay the track over the map without calculating anything, or complaining about not finding a possible route...

Cheers,
    Esteban.
  • Piper18Piper18 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I agree with that. Sometimes i have planned tracks on legal pathways in the alps which forces the Rider to enlarge the route from 220 km to 400 km, because the device misses about 500 m on the track and routes backwards around known roads and come back to the Point where the road is known again. So i have to split that track in 2 pieces. One from startpoint to the place where the missing road beginns, trespassing that 500 m piece and then start the next part to the endpoint. This is strange, because it resumes in much work before you can use that track.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    I think the off road feature is a much requested item for the Rider series.
  • CarlC451CarlC451 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    In my county (North GA, USA), over 1/2 of the land is US Forest, with maintained, USFS Roads that appear on many maps. When I do "RECORD MY RIDE", the track stops when I leave the highway, and restarts when I get back on a "real road".

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Other M/C brands, at minimum, allow you to "leave bread crumbs", which show on the map, and are recorded by the RECORD function.

Some Awesome enhancements would be to let us:
    * MAP and then LABEL the various "Forest Service", "PRIVATE but OPEN TO THE PUBLIC", "PRIVATE and usable ONLY WITH PERMISSION or FEE", "Hiking Trails", Logging Road, Fire Road, etc.
    * Name Them.
    * Classify Them (Hiking Only, Bicycle/Dirt Bike/Hiking Trail, 4-By or Off Road, AWD, 2WD)
    * Rate Them (Pros Only, Adventurous, Mildly Adventurous, Average, Easy)
    * Warnings / Recommendations (Free-form Text)
    * Allow this info to be SEEMLESSLY added to our maps
    OR
    Available as Overlays.
    * And Obviously, Leave Bread Crumbs - - - How Else can we Explore The Unknown, and expect to get back alive ;-D :wink::heart_eyes::drooling_face: