Storage Full on Runner watch — TomTom Community

Storage Full on Runner watch

Kep123Kep123 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
After two months of use my watch shows STORAGE FULL. I cannot clear it. The web site will not let me clear it. I have reviewed multiple sources for directions and none of them work. the screen the directions state I should see I do not see. Can I return this watch?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,683
    Superusers
    You need to sync your watch to clear the storage, either with a phone app or a computer (if it full I recommend a computer as it will take awhile). Once it has successfully synced to MySports it will clear the data off the watch. To sync by computer you ened to have the MySports Connect software installed, which is downloaded from tomtom.com/123.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Kep123Kep123 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Does anyone want to buy a relatively new tomtom runner watch? Two months old. You'll have to figure out how to clear the "storage full" issue yourself.

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
    Superusers
    It is really not that hard. Install the Connect software (which you would have had to do to register the watch) and plug it into your computer. That is it.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    Kep123 wrote:
    After two months of use my watch shows STORAGE FULL. I cannot clear it. The web site will not let me clear it. I have reviewed multiple sources for directions and none of them work. the screen the directions state I should see I do not see. Can I return this watch?
    Hi. At some point (back in Feb) you installed Sports Connect and registered your watch. If you run the Sports Connect program and connect your watch it will upload your activities to the account you created. Uploading activities removes them from your watch.

You should also connect your watch to Sports Connect to ensure the QuickGPS is up to date (so it can get a fast GPS lock) since the data for the satellite positions is only for the next 3 days (that's all that can be known accurately).

Regards,
    Stuart.
    Unfortunately, none of what you suggested works. I have logged into the software countless times, I have tried re-installing the software. Nothing happens, nothing works. My watch is worthless now.
    Kep123 wrote:
    Unfortunately, none of what you suggested works. I have logged into the software countless times, I have tried re-installing the software. Nothing happens, nothing works. My watch is worthless now.
    Hi. So the "Please Connect Your Device" Sports Connect window is being displayed
    eb859b3a-ac18-4e06-a707-6acfb6c97f02.png
    but when you connect your watch the computer is not detecting it? i.e. the window does does not change as it did the first few times you connected your watch?

Does the watch face show the charging icon when you connect it? If not then check it is fully clipped into the dock.

If so then can you follow the steps in this post
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/spark-will-not-sync-a-message-pops-up-that-says-choose-what-to-do-with-mixed-content-1019548?postid=1151099

and I will investigate further.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    It shows the software is loaded and safe to use. My storage still shows as full. Unbelievable that tomtom would sell a product that renders itself useless after a dozen runs.

It appears from checking the internet many people have this same problem. So sad there isn't a simple way to fix it.

Any way to return this watch?
    Superusers
    It is not likely a fault in the watch, it is likely a setting on your computer. Are you an administrator on the computer with full access rights (often on work computers you are not)? Are you getting any error messages when you plug the watch in or is it being recognized at all? Does the clock face change to a battery charging icon (which indicates it is getting power so there is a partial connection). A few things to look at (and I apologize if some are very basic but it is best to get past the obvious issues first):

1) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub?
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port?
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?
    4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom (try turning them off before docking the watch)?
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?

In particular, make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. If it does not have a full connection it will charge but it will not be recognized by the computer. It seems simple but this is generally the issue. It needs to fully click into the cradle and it may help to take it out of the band to do so. Also check that none of the pins on the dock are bent or pressed in, as that will prevent a connection.

If nothing above helps you may have a bad dock or there may be computer setting blocking it. At that point I would suggest calling Customer Support and seeing what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

As to returning it, you would need to take it back to wherever you purchased it from. TomTom is not likely to give you a refund for an item you did not buy from them.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    ) Are you plugged directly into the machine and not a hub? the machine
    2) Does the port work, can the computer detect other devices (like flash drives) in that port? yes other devices work
    3) Is the watch firmly snapped into the cradle and the USB plug firmly in the port?yes
    4) Is the USB plug free of any debris or blockages?yes
    5) Is the Connect software actually running (is there an icon for it in the notification area)?yes
    6) Did you install MySports Connect, not MyDrive Connect? It is downloaded from tomtom.com/123yes
    7) Do you have administrator rights to the computer?yes
    8) Is a firewall or antivirus running that is blocking the software from connecting to TomTom y(try turning them off before docking the watch)?n/a
    9) Does the computer have a good Internet connection (Internet is required to sync)?yes
    10) Can you try installing it on a different machine to determine if it is an issue with the computer versus the watch?no
    Hi. I can see on your account that the watch connected yesterday. I assume this means that Sports Connect opened when you connected the watch, went through sync'ing, updating QuickGPS etc? Did it finish with the CHARGING/CHARGED screen or did an error occur?

Nothing was uploaded so I am confused as to why the storage would be full. Can you use the Submit App Data in the Advanced Section of the Settings Page (cog icon, top right) of Sports Connect to the the log files and I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • al_bertal_bert Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The "Storage full" that you cannot delete directly from the watch is a "trick" (wooooh WHAT a trick) to force users to connect their watches to the computer/phone so that the company can gather our medical and sport data.

Other brands have the same issue. What is funny is that in years not so far from now, you could manage everything from the watch itself on all brands...

Another famous brand - Polar - has even forced their users to change their watch by closing down the platform on which their watches were working (so much for the historical customers : their $$$ are less worth than the cardiac data of the new ones)

I guess that is the price to pay for "low cost" high tech devices (yeah those watches are full of potential for a reasonable price). The world is changing. Today, you pay with data. Big brother and stuff.

What REALLY pisses me off is that you stupid Sports Connect software requires INCOMING firewall permissions to get working. And a stupid setup (while unzipping and launching the package is also working)

Well, you're company is a bit too invasive. So, i'm leaving your watches to... well, uninformed people? Nobody reads your conditions, you know. I've bought some old Polar stuff, and it fucking rocks. We an offline soft. Yay.

(Oh yeah, well, i lost GPS functionality. Anyway, the precision of your GPS chips is poor. Weren't you a leading GPS company once?!)
    Superusers
    al_bert wrote: »

Well, you're company is a bit too invasive. So, i'm leaving your watches to... well, uninformed people? Nobody reads your conditions, you know. I've bought some old Polar stuff, and it fucking rocks. We an offline soft. Yay.

You are aware that TT Sports went out of business over 18 months ago and has ceased all production, development and virtually all Support, right? So leaving their watches that they left a year and a half ago is not much of a threat.