Permissions for Sports App — TomTom Community

Permissions for Sports App

trent2trent2 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Sports [Connect][Apps][Website]
How nice: uploading data from my device to the new tomtom sports app via bluetooth requires permission to read my address book and get my location. Why is that? Isn't it enough for tomtom to have a database of all kind of sports activities from their customers, with gps-coordinates AND exact timestamps and all the additional data these little minions provide voluntarily? Do I really also need to force them to tell their contacts and locations (continuously, because the app is running in the background) to use my device as intended when I bought it?
Or wouldn't it be better to use non-tomtom software to download MY data and use non-tomtom sports platforms to organize it?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi trent2,

Welcome to the Community and sorry for my late reply here!

As with any apps, you're asked for certain permissions to enable specific features of the app. This information is not collected anywhere, but only used for these features. Access to address book enables you to share your activities with your contacts. Location information is required for reliable Bluetooth® connection on Android phones. You can find more information about this in the About section in the app as well as tomtom.com/yourdata.

Cheers, Mikko