Oops Phone Storage full or unavailable (its not full)

andybmacandybmac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Also emailed to support...
An update to the Go app(android) failed at the weekend. Following this I have the message "Oops - Phone storage full or unavailable. Check the storage of your phone and try again. Close app" - There is 14.0 GB available space on the internal memory and a 32 GB SD card installed (which i have formatted 3 times in case of corruption). I have also uninstalled and re-installed the app several times - message is the same. ANy ideas?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,883 [Superusers]
    Yes, call support:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • andybmacandybmac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just for anyone else searching - the key is not to uninstall but to delete the cache for the app while it is still installed:
    "In the phone, go to Settings > Apps > GO > Storage and tap Clear data."

I had cleared the "global" cache after uninstalling each time

Problem solved
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm glad to hear you got this sorted and thanks for sharing the solution! :D I'd just like to add that clearing the app cache data will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places, My Routes and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Cheers, Mikko
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,025 [Exalted Navigator]
    MikkoK wrote:
    I'd just like to add that clearing the app cache will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places, My Routes and destination prediction data.
    That is very non-standard, are you sure? Usually clearing an app's Data will do that but not just clearing its cache.
    Hi tgold,

Good point! I meant app data of course as Andy mentioned. I amended my post above.

You can also do this from the app by resetting it at Settings - System - Reset. There's also an option to remove the installed maps and voices and you'll get a warning that your personal information will be deleted.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JorunTJorunT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I bought TomTom Go Mobile for my Motorola Moto G4 Plus last autumn. It worked for a couple of months, then stopped working; it was just saying 'Downloading' without ever starting and it stayed like that until a couple of months ago. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it worked for a short while. When I tried to use it yesterday, it says ‘Oops. Phone memory is full or not available. Check phone memory and try again. Close the app.’ (Translated from Norwegian.)

Closing the app does not work, uninstalling and reinstalling again did not help, emptying the buffer makes no difference. There is plenty of available storage, I have used 12.6 GB of a total of 135 GB: 4.86 of 10.82 GB sheared internal storage and 2.75 of 119 GB of the SD Card, which has been set up as adopted internal storage. It is a highspeed 128 GB SanDisk card, so please don’t tell me it’s a low-quality card that’s the cause of the problems.

When I first bought the phone, the card was set up as portable, but after a while I found out that the phone was running out of internal memory; none of the apps could be transferred to the portable card, so I installed it as internally adapted storage. I believe that’s when I got the first problems with TomTom, although I don’t know why, since the TomTom app was not transferred to the SD card (but several of the other apps were). Several months later I had to reset the phone to factory settings, again the SD card was accidentally not set as portable, and after that I reinstalled TomTom which now worked. But then again, I was running out of internal memory, so a few weeks ago I once more installed the SD card as internal, and then I got problems with TomTom again.

Why it says that there is not enough memory is beyond me, since the app has not been transferred (and it can’t be) to the card and there is more internal memory available now than before, because several other apps were successfully transferred and working. From searching the Forum and elsewhere, I see that problems with TomTom on several other android phones, not only on Motorola’s, seem to be related to the use of SD cards as internally adapted storage.

I feel cheated, having paid for a rather expensive app from TomTom which can’t work with android phones using a SD card set as internally adapted storage. My choice is now either to dump the TomTom app, or buy a new phone with more internal memory without a card, my phone is ten months old. Unless TomTom can find a solution that works under these circumstances – nothing of the advice I have seen from TomTom so far does - I am left with the impression they are selling a product without warning a group of android phone customers that this will never work on their phones. If you could find a way to make the app work, I would of course be very happy, but so far I'm rather frustrated, having paid for something I have only been able to use for a very short period of time.
    Hi Jorun,

Welcome to the Community!

I'd recommend the following steps:
    • Go to your phone's settings and select Apps > GO > Storage and tap Clear data (deletes maps as well)
    • Open GO Mobile and select Settings/System/Reset app
    • If the issue persists unistall the app and before reinstalling delete Android / data / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp and Android / OBB / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp (Please check the internal memory and memory card for these items in case there are duplicates). Once done please install directly on the mobile phone without external microSD.

Should this not help you sort this out, please contact Customer Service. They'll be able to get to the bottom of your issue and assist you accordingly.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JorunTJorunT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you, Mikko, I am very greatfuld for your help, I hope the problems were solved permanently. I followed the two first steps, that seemed to do the trick. I was in contact with TomTom in Norway half a year ago, they were not able to give me any suggestions on how to make the app work on my phone, they just told me I had to wait for an update of the app.