Wahoo TICKR X compatibility with TomTom Runner 3 (Music)

russ81
russ81 Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi
I would be grateful to know if the Wahoo "TICKR X" HR strap is compatible with the TomTom Runner 3 (Music). I have seen from other discussions that there seems to be issues with the TICKR and the Spark, however i don't know whether the TICKR & TICKR X are basically the same from a compatibility perspective and likewise with the Runner 3 & Spark. All i can see from Wahoo is that 'most devices with Bluetooth & ant+ will work. TomTom compatibilty list includes the Wahoo Blue. My main reason for wanting a TomTom watch is the music storage, so ultimately if they weren't compatible i would have to chose another HR strap. If the TICKR X is not compatible can anyone recommend another? I liked the running & bike analytics and memory features of the TICKR X. Also, with whichever compatible strap i end up with, will the displayed info on the watch (other than HR) be generated from the HR strap or the watch? Thanks.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    I think the Tickr works, but all you will get is HR, all of the other features will be lost as the watch only records the HR data stream. You may want to look at a less expensive strap as you are paying a premium for features you will not use (unless you plan on using it elsewhere with other devices). I have the Wahoo Blue and it works great but I don't think they are making it anymore. Much like with headphones, price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc.. TomTom cannot change their code every time a manufacturer changes the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings there is no way to know upfront if a device will work or not. Your best bet is to buy it from someplace with a good return policy so if it doesn't work you can return it and try another brand.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.