Heart rate with no GPS

hanan
hanan Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello,
I'm thinking on buying the Tomtom Spark 3 and I wanted to know if there's an option of measuring the heart rate continuously (not just every few minutes like in the tracking 24/7 mode) without turning the GPS on. I've heard that the GPS drain the battery, and I don't really need it. My main goal is to observe the heart rate only. Is there a way?

Thank you

Comments

• Krzyzu011
    Krzyzu011 Registered Users Posts: 12
    Outstanding Explorer
    Yes you are able to do it but you need to go into workout - Gym mode. This one track your Heart Rate but not GPS. But normally it track it every 10 minutes.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,939
    Superuser
    If you just want to see your HR and not record it you can put the watch on the HR Sensor screen and it will show it or any activity start screen for the same thing. If you want to actually record it, you can use Gym mode which will record HR every second, but will run the battery faster (it will run out in a day or so). The 24/7 HR takes readings every 10 minutes and for most purposes is actually fairly accurate. Most people at rest do not see wide swings in HR so the intermittent reading gives a good representative sample. But for more precision you would need to record an activity.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • hanan
    hanan Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you very much, it did answer my question - but now I have following two:

1. "If you want to actually record it, you can use Gym mode which will record HR every second, but will run the battery faster (it will run out in a day or so)" - did you mean 24 hours or 12 hours?

2. From your answer I understand that only displaying the heart rate (continuously) without recording won't drain the battery, am I right?

Thank you.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,939
    Superuser
    By a day, I meant 24 hours, not 12. Displaying the HR will drain the battery faster as the sensor will constantly be on, but not as much as running it as an activity. any time you force the HR sensor to stay on you are increasing battery usage.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • STBarett
    STBarett Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for sharing, its great abbility! :)