Stickyness of Expanded and Compressed Forum Groups

tgoldtgold Posts: 2,031 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 29 in Forum feedback
Has there been a change in how forums are compressed into groups and then expanded by clicking on the chevron next to the group name and how the status of that is saved and then restored in subsequent sessions?

For example this forum is one of five in the WELCOME group. Until a few days ago I could compress a group in which I had no interest and leave expanded those I wished to follow and read. And those group settings would be preserved for future sessions. But now my login restores the green bubble marks to show which forums contain unread topics but it no longer restores the status of the groupings and whether any is set to compacted or expanded.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,395 Superuser
    I think InSided have been playing around with the forums and may have changed some of the cookies :(
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,031 [Exalted Navigator]
    Niall wrote:
    I think InSided have been playing around with the forums and may have changed some of the cookies :(
    Has anyone else lost their persistent cookies? Each time I now open a browser on TomTom Discussions I find that I need to log in, however a refresh/reload still has me logged in. I believe I now get only session cookies and nothing more permanent and this is new. Does anyone else see either this or something different?
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,962 Superusers
    Yeah, as of a week or so ago, InSided changed the security settings such that an initial login session requires a login.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

The change in the login behaviour is from TomTom's side. It's a company wide security requirement as we have Single-Sing-On login on the tomtom.com domain and your accounts contain personal information, e.g. regarding your purchases.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    The change in the login behaviour is from TomTom's side. It's a company wide security requirement as we have Single-Sing-On login on the tomtom.com domain and your accounts contain personal information, e.g. regarding your purchases.
    Thanks for that news. Any chance the login change was done in a manner that has caused the loss of persisting nested status as an unintended side-effect?
    @MikkoK

TT seem to have screwed up big time as this screen can NOT be maintained66841e66-85f1-4d6a-af67-64efacccf29d.jpgAny refresh results in 76e272e1-81de-49bd-b9b5-d6d6859bc134.jpgso what is the purpose of the compression of a group now?
    Hi all,

I doubt that the change in the login behaviour could've caused this but I'll report this to InSided to be checked.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

This has now been fixed and the collapsing of categories stays through page refresh again :D

Cheers, Mikko
    @MikkoK

Was that InSided or TT ?? ;)
    Niall wrote:
    @MikkoK

Was that InSided or TT ?? ;)
    InSided
    0c0c9fcb-8b68-4a69-9d7f-4cce7d29339a.gif0c0c9fcb-8b68-4a69-9d7f-4cce7d29339a.gif0c0c9fcb-8b68-4a69-9d7f-4cce7d29339a.gif
    MikkoK wrote:
    This has now been fixed and the collapsing of categories stays through page refresh again :D
    I regret to report that the fix is not reliable. A quick refresh does maintain the nestings but too often I log in to find everything is expanded yet again.
    Hi tgold,

I think that's technically a different issue, but I'll double check with InSided. To my understanding this setting is only saved for the session and to do what you're requesting would require to save it into the cookie. You'll probably see a difference in this because we've recently changed the login behaviour for security reasons. You're now logged out every time you close your browser.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks you Mikko and All Hail the new Community Manager!

This is yet another unfortunate degradation of the forum platform, along with the loss of RSS syndication and of permanent login.
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Cheers, Mikko

Hi Niall,

I can't reproduce it. I tried on Chrome and Firefox. Which browser are you using? Have you tried restarting the browser?

Cheers, Mikko
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,314 Superusers
    It happened to me as recently as Tuesday on Chrome.
    Glad I am not the only that is using Chrome and having this problem.
    As I had to enable WebGL due to the route planner white screen problem the also required a restart of Chrome so will monitor this problem over the next few days
    Hi all,

I'm also using Chrome and have WebGL - although I doubt it has any relation to this. I still can't reproduce this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,314 Superusers
    Just happened to me on Chrome. When I refreshed the page all the categories were again expanded. I have no idea if I am using webGL or not.
    Still seems to be expanding when computer is left on overnight and logged into the forum :(
    Hi all,

That's strange. I still can't reproduce.

Can you check your cookie settings and make sure cookies don't get deleted when you close the browser or similar.

Cheers, Mikko
    @MikkoK

Here is maybe the culprit8744a81c-d1ce-49bd-a3fc-245fb5252822.jpg
    or even 2121cb6b-2d36-4a24-b707-6a4e945c2ebb.jpg

Why have InSided set an expiry date?
    Hi Niall,

Good catch! I'll ask them about this.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Niall,

Good catch! I'll ask them about this.

Cheers, Mikko
    I see the collapsed cookie now expires after 30 days (from the last change). To renew that lease, expand and re-collapse some group.