ANDROID USERS.... NO SUPPORT

BIG-AL1980
BIG-AL1980 Registered Users Posts: 11
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
So as the title above suggests I am an Android user. I don't own any Widoze devices and am simply flabbergasted that a company of this magnitude can forget about a huge section of the market.

I have the original firmware the watch was sold with which isn't an issue and the pony running tracks that were pre loaded. I'm saying not an issue as I brought the watch for working out not dancing round or the future functionality.

I need to know if this is an area TomTom are even looking at? I need to know if that is the case when I should expect to be able tinuse my device to it full capabilities if I should so wish to do so?

The reason I need to know this is because I am currently thinking about where my money will be spent when I next upgrade my device because currently TomTom are slipping from their throne (in my eyes) as the go to all in one choice for sports and activity tracking.

The standard watxh starps ( on my 3rd in 12 months) are absolutely crap but you've done well with the new app interface (even if it does look like it's dumbed down for kids. If you dig hard enough there is serious tangible data to analyse for your activities and draw training gains or regressions out of.

This is a huge rick by TomTom imo and the longer it continues the more and more loyal 2nd and 3rd gen repeat customers (like myself) you will loose to other providers...

An answer would be very nice as the customer services have also been top notch in the past.

Al.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    What Android support are you lacking? There is a fully functioning Android app that works fine. To get any updates or load tracks on the watch you need to use a computer, that is true regardless of the OS your phone is on and has to do with the time it takes to transfer data over Bluetooth and licensing issues for the transfer of music. As to the straps, I agree it seems hit or miss, as there must be some manufacturing issue as some people have problems and others (like myself) do not. I have used my watch every day for years with no strap issues. It also has to do with how rough you are with putting it on and taking it off (really tugging on the strap or not) and if you take the watch out of the strap to charge (you don't need to and the removal process puts undue stress on the strap).

I would not expect an answer to your questions from TomTom. Like it or not, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BIG-AL1980
    Legendary Explorer
    I'm afraid it doesn't help.

I have no laptop/desktop/no device capable of running a Windows OS.

I have a data sync cable
  • BIG-AL1980
    Legendary Explorer
    Apologies hit send by accident...

I have a data sync cable that I can connect to my tablet/phone/any other micro USB device... I can't however manage the files or update the firmware without using a Windows device...

The app is a great improvement but the functionality for potentially millions of Android users who have left Microsoft behind is severely lacking.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    Unfortunately a computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) is required to use the watch, it is written right on the box. Without one you cannot register the device, update it, put music on the watch or reset it if it freezes. Do you have access to a work computer or friend's computer you can borrow long enough to install the Connect Software and sync the device?