Barometer used for running mode too? — TomTom Community

Barometer used for running mode too?

magnific0magnific0 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
Is the Adventurer's barometer used to get more accurate elevation for regular activities (like running) too? Or is it limited to the additional modes like hiking and trail running?

I want to trade in my Runner 3 because the GPS-based elevation is not sufficient for my training.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,812
    Superusers
    It is used in all modes, but the metrics that are available vary by mode (some have more metrics than others). I find it is fairly accurate, but results will vary. What are you looking to get out of it?

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • FreemanixFreemanix Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Are the barometer data used to get more precise location data (knowing the altitude helps solving the GPS triangulation with less error)?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,812
    Superusers
    No, it is simply used to track elevation (calibrated against GPS to establish a known starting point). I am not sure how many devices use barometers to supplement GPS since the barometers are greatly affected by outside factors (weather, sweat buildup, etc.).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.