Android voice cut off — TomTom Community

Android voice cut off

BarkleyBarkley Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Is the "voice cutoff problem" on the Androids now permanently corrected?

M. Millman

Mod edit : Please do not post any personal information on public forum!

Comments

• BarkleyBarkley Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Do you ever respond?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,313 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Barkley

The voice instructions cutting on the GO Mobile Android app was fixed long time back. Are you using the latest version 1.16.

Have you noticed something new, if yes, then please provide more information.

Regards
    Vikram
  • BBIGTONE1BBIGTONE1 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Yes I have the same problem. I have version 1.16. This has been happening on my S7 edge since early new year. Cuts off before voice instruction completes. Then when the next instruction is due it finishes the missing part from the prior instruction. I'm sure TomTom are aware of this.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

As Vikram stated, the similar issue we had earlier has been solved. You might need to delete and reinstall the voice.

Should this not help you sort it out, please provide the following information:
    • Which voice are you using?
    • Do you experience the issue with every instruction or in some specific situations?
    • Please, describe the issue in as much detail as possible
    • Are you connecting to an external Bluetooth® speaker or car radio?
    • Do you have the app or map installed on an SD card?

Cheers, Mikko
  • grantstewgrantstew Posts: 78 TomTom Employee
    We had the issue where the end of an instruction was cut off and appended to the start of the following instruction, this seemed to be particular to Samsung phones running Nougat. We fixed this issue in our 1.16 release, and have no intention of letting it make a come back :)
  • ChuttersChutters Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue Mikko This has been happening for months and while you suggest it's been fixed, it hasn't. Actually it's even worse now as occasionally it will say the end of the sentence at the start! I have to use it without the voice commands.

As for the answers to your questions, in my case:

1. I use Serena.
    2. It happens on every instruction
    3. As above.
    4. My car has a built in phone / Bluetooth system called Ford Sync.
    5. It is stored on My sd card.

Hope this helps
    Hi Chutters,

Welcome to the Community!

Are you using the latest v1.16.1? Can you reproduce this issue also without connecting to your Ford sync system?

Thanks, Mikko
  • JohnBOnTheGoGoJohnBOnTheGoGo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just bought the TomTom Go mobile app for Android on a Moto g5+. It generally is excellent but I found it cut off instructions when 'Jane' (recorded voice) was selected. I downloaded and selected 'Kathy' (Irish) because I prefer the tone and like the Irish accent. Intructions read out in full, no problems.
  • PottsyPottsy Posts: 104 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Still happens here (S7 edge).

In fact you can reproduce it by clicking on the different voices in settings. When she is saying "Hi, I'm Sangeeta" or whatever, click on another voice and it pauses, does 1/2 a second of the old voice, and then sets off with the new voice.

It's better than it was months ago, but far from fixed.
    HI all,

Thanks for your reports!

We've indeed got some reports of voice instructions cutting off with recorded voices. We're investigating the issue and trying to find a solution as soon as possible. Meanwhile, we'd recommend you to use a computer voice such as Serena.

I'd also recommend you to report this to Customer Service. They'll be able to gather more details to help our technicians with their investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • PottsyPottsy Posts: 104 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    It does it on Serena too.
  • SelfishReplicatorSelfishReplicator Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I use Lucy on 1.16.1 on a Moto G 4. Lucy definitely needs a visit to a speech therapist.
    The problem seems to be getting worse. I tried to reinstall the app, no success.
    The voice interruptions sound embarrassingly unprofessional and are distracting.

I pity, since i really like and use the app a lot. Please fix the issue?
    Tnx in advance!
  • DaRiSoDaRiSo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problems with Maria (Catalan) on v1.17
  • darjanatordarjanator Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a similar issue on Android. (HTC 10, Android 7.0, app version 1.17) The voice prompt will cut off a part of a word either at the end of a prompt or in the middle, making for some odd and sometimes funny prompts.

"In seven metres, take the exit" (instead of seven hundred)
    "in two hundred metres, take the egg, then bear right" (instead of take the exit)

Come to think of it, it seems to happen solely in the middle of a prompt, never at the end. I need to investigate further.

This happens with both recorded and generated voices.
  • ReneStReneSt Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi,
    Device : Samsung Galaxy S7
    Language: CZ Miloslav

Instructions are cut off, typically in the end of the voice instruction. The problem is very annoying and persists for months (from april 2017 ?). I have deleted and then downloaded voice(s) many time, reinstalled Tomtom, but no success.
    I have been loyal user of the TT since Windows Mobile, TT works great even on slow HW, but these days I have to say that TT is bug ridden application (I have found more bugs this year than in all previous years combined) and I really considering switch to Waze.
  • thatmothatmo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Problem also with version 1.17.1 - Android with factory reset and clean install of the app doesn't work. (no bluetooth connections) Total reset and install with version 1.16.1 works perfectly.
  • John RFJohn RF Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Tried all the audio channels. Using some audio channels there's severe stutter. With others there's no audio at all. The only audio channel which seemed to work as expected was the Notifications channel. However, two previously reported issues are still there, namely:

1. Navigation instructions are cut off at the middle and then resumed a few seconds later
    2. Navigation instructions volume is still not high enough. Even after setting the separate volume level for navigation to 100%

By comparison, navigation instructions on HERE WeGo work perfectly: clear and loud enough. Shame TomTom hasn't been able to fix this issue because it's a clearly superior app in terms of UI and features.

I'm willing to provide debugging information and, if necessary, to do beta testing.

Version: 1.17.1 (no previous TomTom Go version was ever installed on the device)
    Android version: 6.0.1
    Hardware: Double DIN head unit
    An update to my previous comment... I experimented further and noticed the navigation instructions cut off only happens if another app is playing music in the background. And it doesn't happen with all music apps. So far I've only saw this problem happening consistently while MEO Music (an online music service) is playing.

Regarding the navigation instructions low volume, it only becomes an issue when another app is playing music. In those cases, hearing the instructions often becomes problematic due to its (comparatively) low volume.

TomTom developers should try and find out how HERE has implemented sound output. Because in terms of mixing navigation instructions with background music HERE WeGo simply shines.
  • GimbaGimba Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]

Her is an audio I uploaded of voice errors, at 0:10 and 0:27 seconds
    Using latest version (October 2017)
    I haven't been able to reproduce the issue "navigation instructions are cut off at the middle and then resumed a few seconds later" lately. There hasn't been any app update lately, so not really sure what apparently fixed it.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @John RF,

To start off with you are using a SmartRadio which is not supported.
    This has been talked about 100's of times.

I quote you:
    "Version: 1.17.1 (no previous TomTom Go version was ever installed on the device)
    Hardware: Double DIN head unit"

We keep going around and around with this issue.

Then there are the issues of 3rd party apps having the effect on TomTomGO.

I do not know why it is always TomTom that is at fault for this issue.

If we are going to use a GPS program then it is number one.
    Any other app we want to use be second.
    It should not have any effect on how TomTomGo works.

There are many compatibility issues with apps all working happily together.

Plus having on a non supported smart radio to run TomTomGO on it does not help nor can TomTom help and support you with this issue.

I know everyone likes to hear music while they drive but.
    It is better and supported to use a smartphone to run TomTomGo and have your car radio for music.

The same goes for the volume issue that you are having.

There are users who have this problem with their smartphones and that is supported.

But again is it TomTom that is at fault here when using a music app be it streaming in real time or playing downloaded music?

With music playing the whole time and then TomTomGo needs to give you info about Traffic, speedcams or taking an exit I can see where a conflict comes into play here.

It is one or the other that needs to broadcast info and the more important is what TomTomGo is saying.

But there will be a lots you jumping at me for saying so.

If I am going to use my GPS app I do not need to have music playing on my phone.
    Better to have the car radio doing that for me if I need to play music.
  • explor202explor202 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    John RF wrote:
    Tried all the audio channels. Using some audio channels there's severe stutter. With others there's no audio at all. The only audio channel which seemed to work as expected was the Notifications channel. However, two previously reported issues are still there, namely:

1. Navigation instructions are cut off at the middle and then resumed a few seconds later
    2. Navigation instructions volume is still not high enough. Even after setting the separate volume level for navigation to 100%

By comparison, navigation instructions on HERE WeGo work perfectly: clear and loud enough. Shame TomTom hasn't been able to fix this issue because it's a clearly superior app in terms of UI and features.

I'm willing to provide debugging information and, if necessary, to do beta testing.

Version: 1.17.1 (no previous TomTom Go version was ever installed on the device)
    Hardware: Double DIN head unit

Old post I know, but had to say thanks to John RF for the advice to try different audio channels. Was driving me crazy that Samantha's voice on my new Chinese Android head unit (Marshmallow, TTGO 1.17.1) was completely garbled no matter what I tried. The other voices worked just fine, but I like Samantha as she reads everything, and can be set for miles/feet. Changing from the default channel to Notifications did the trick. AND I can still use SqueezePlayer to stream my music at the same time. Thanks again John RF!
    Asprin624 wrote:
    But again is it TomTom that is at fault here when using a music app be it streaming in real time or playing downloaded music?

I would accept that if HERE WeGo didn't exist. This app behaves flawlessly in terms of audio. Instructions are played loud and clear even when background music is present.

If HERE has managed to do it, TomTom can do it too. After all, it's a better satnav app than HERE WeGo in all the other aspects.
    explor202 wrote:
    Old post I know, but had to say thanks to John RF for the advice to try different audio channels. Was driving me crazy that Samantha's voice on my new Chinese Android head unit (Marshmallow, TTGO 1.17.1) was completely garbled no matter what I tried. The other voices worked just fine, but I like Samantha as she reads everything, and can be set for miles/feet. Changing from the default channel to Notifications did the trick. AND I can still use SqueezePlayer to stream my music at the same time. Thanks again John RF!

Glad to know I was helpful, @explor202 :beer:
    By the way, does the volume level resets to 90% after your head unit restarts? In mine, I have to manually increase it to 100% after each boot up.
  • explor202explor202 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    John RF wrote:
    explor202 wrote:
    Glad to know I was helpful, @explor202 :beer:

By the way, does the volume level resets to 90% after your head unit restarts? In mine, I have to manually increase it to 100% after each boot up.

Yes, mine always restarts at 5 (out of 35).