Speed camera user updates are just wrong — TomTom Community

Speed camera user updates are just wrong

mm5ahomm5aho Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
edited October 2018 in Speed Cameras
The logic of having users update the locations of speed cameras seems faulty. People add cameras at locations where they've seen mobile (van mounted) cameras, they add CCTV cameras as speed cameras, they add average speed cameras and anything else it seems. That results in Tomtom reporting cameras in all sorts of silly places. I notice also that if I try to remove them, I get an audio message "camera removed" then next time I pass, it's back again!
So this just doesn't work.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi mm5aho,

Our Speed Cameras database is updated based on official sources whenever possible. Customer feedback is only supplemental. As with all digital products, however, errors may creep in.

Please note, that to get updated speed camera info you need running subscription. As your device is not a LIVE device, you'd also need to download the updated cameras to your device.

Cheers, Mikko
  • mm5ahomm5aho Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    With a freshly downloaded database, there's still greater than 50% error rate. It might be that customer input is supplemental, and perhaps that's not the source of the gross error rate, but either its more than supplemental, of the "official" source is corrupt. What could be "official" anyway?
    The fact is that in the areas I use TomTom (Scotland) this feature is not useable for its gross inaccuracy.
    I'm sorry you think my device is dead. It seems alive to me. It does do navigation OK.
    Hi mm5aho,

By "LIVE device" I mean a device supporting LIVE Services.

Just to make sure, are we talking about the device registered with the TomTom account on the same email address you're using for your forum account? If not, please PM me the email address of the account on which your device is registered so that I can look further into this.

As there is no Speed Cameras subscription on your TomTom account for the VIA device registered there, you're still using the cameras from when you purchased the device in 2012. You can purchase a Speed Cameras service here to get the latest updates.

Cheers, Mikko
  • mm5ahomm5aho Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    Mikko
    I don't know what device you have registered anywhere. I do have a TomTom via.
    I have updated the maps several times since purchase. (that reminds me of another fault - it gives erroneous messages about how old the map is. For example within 3 weeks of updating the map, I get a message nagging me to update as my current map is 2 years old).
    After each map update, I get a different set of cameras database. I don't know that from knowing that a new database has been uploaded, rather from the fact that quite different cameras are identified in positions where previously the device didn't point to a camera's existence, and also the other way about, cameras that were previously identified have disappeared.
    So after a map update I have apparently a new set of cameras. But they're wrong, so were the old ones.
    Hi mm5aho,

You indeed had a Map Update Service back in 2015. Map updates, however, don't include speed camera updates as they are delivered separately. I'm afraid the only way to improve your situation is to purchase a Speed Cameras service in order to get the latest cameras on your device. You can also check our Speed Cameras database with the MapShare Reporter.

Cheers, Mikko