Map update-british roads seem to be out of date

Stephen FosterStephen Foster Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 29 in Map quality
I have quarterly map updates . the last western Europe update loaded ok but the british roads seem to be out of date. We have a local road which was made into a duel carriage way some years ago and it is incorrect on my Tomtom. how can I rectify this and also rely on the accuracy of the rest of the maps. I have unloaded and re-uploaded a couple of times and it is still incorrect

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,779 [Superusers]
    You could report map errors using the online Map Share Reporter tool. That's the best way to notify the maps people at TT.
  • RobbiebotRobbiebot Posts: 197 [TomTom Employee]
    Hi Stephen,

If you can give me a specific example of a road you deem out of date, I'd be more than happy to have a look at it.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
  • CliveGannonCliveGannon Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    I have the same issue, i reported the the correction over 8 weeks ago now and still pending. This is a major change to A556 Cheshire and surrounding roads, I have had to start using Google maps as I can't use my tomtom which I bought for live traffic updates.
  • RafRafRafRaf Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    2 absolute humdingers are the A556 update and the massive rebuild of what was the Archway roundabout: surely changes to the junction through which a huge proportion of traffic between the capital cities of England and Scotland - huge, long-planned, well-advertised and generally thoroughly comprehensively recorded - both now well past completion, open and functioning normally on a daily basis, are absolutely fundamental essential updates the like of which renders the much-lauded free map updates a complete joke.

A556 info here: http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a556-knutsford-to-bowdon-improvement/

and the A1 Archway (formerly) Roundabou here: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/archway-project-design-switch.pdf

I mean, come on, TomTom. The A556 - connecting Manchester to the M6 and thus to London - finished in March and the A1 works were completed in December.
    Hi All,

As the A556 update is already resolved in our internal map database, I would suggest that you all ensure that your devices are updated to the v990 map which released in the last week.
    This will hopefully alleviate the situation.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,360 [Superuser]
    @Robbiebot

Sorry to say but on my START 20 with 9.90 map there is no trace of the new A556 at Mere, yet this was opened in March, when was the new geometry entered into the 'internal map database'?
    Hi Niall,

It is entirely possible that this fix did not make it in the v990 update, I simply wanted to ensure that all users are indeed looking at the latest map.
    I'll try to investigate why this addition is not present in v990.

Cheers,
    Robbie
  • BarryUKBarryUK Posts: 12 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Also suffering from the A556 issue, which I thought would be fixed in this release, as Google Maps seem to have it. Any news on when this will be in or how anything can be done to not have an impact on the routing would be great.
  • CliveGannonCliveGannon Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Any news on this?? It is not just the A556 but all the connecting roads around the area! I used the Map Reporter in March - still pending!
  • TertiusTertius Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm driving from Bristol airport to Manchester airport tomorrow. As neither the A556 or the South Bristol Link have made it onto TomTom yet, I guess I'll be using Waze instead. In the days of paper maps these new roads appeared on the maps a year or so before they were finished - how come there isn't an electronic equivalent, which could he made live on a map correction rather than a new map?
  • RafRafRafRaf Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    @robbiebot appreciate the sentiment, but the A556 update ain't there (the Archway one is, I'm delighted to note) - I do understand that these things can take a little while, but it's BEEN a while, now, in the context of sensible timescales for large-scale changes to the motorway network for a big city, with months and months of advance notice of these changes.
  • ZickheadZickhead Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just downloaded a new map update and the A556 changes have still NOT been updated. What a joke! Sort it out Tom Tom ffs.

Tom Tom Go v1.8
    Map version United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland(990.8307)
    Niall wrote:
    @Robbiebot

Sorry to say but on my START 20 with 9.90 map there is no trace of the new A556 at Mere, yet this was opened in March, when was the new geometry entered into the 'internal map database'?

Can we have answer?
    Hi Niall,

Quite simply put, the update did not make it into the update, as it was created after the snapshot for this update was created.
    I know this is far from ideal, but again, all components of any given update is hard to predict and always subject to change.

Again, my apologies for this unfortunate scenario.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
  • ZickheadZickhead Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @Robbiebot

So when will the UK maps reflect the A556 changes? When are your map updates next scheduled?
    Hi Zickhead,

The next map update is scheduled for August.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
    @Robbiebot

So for a road that actually opened in March in which month was the new geometry entered into the 'internal map database'?
    Hi Niall,

I do not have an exact date, but it was present in early April when I checked.

The snapshot that is taken for each map update is a complicated process, and the time gap between the feature appearing in our internal database and releasing on the commercial map varies wildly.

I know this is frustrating, but I'm afraid I have no more information I can share, that I haven't already shared here.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
    @Robbiebot

That looks suspiciously like the source for the new geometry was from a survey team done AFTER the road was opened, rather than GIS data provided by the government body overseeing the road construction, which would have been available several months earlier.
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    It's a shame road changes like this can't get updated quicker for those that don't know the area.
    But I'm at a loss how people can be 'suffering' from its omission from the map, when they actually know it's there.

It may sound a bit left field and old school, but be a rebel and drive on it even though your Tomtom doesn't show it. ;)
  • PottsyPottsy Posts: 104 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Much like the M1-A5 dual carriageway link road (now M1 J11a). Not even on the online map yet!

Missing road:

2d897844-bcbf-4188-a31e-c9dec3af6b4e.png

Tomtom:

27b42fce-f5b3-4b68-a109-7723e67ae131.png
  • FraserpFraserp Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Robbiebot wrote:
    Hi All,

As the A556 update is already resolved in our internal map database, I would suggest that you all ensure that your devices are updated to the v990 map which released in the last week.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
  • FraserpFraserp Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Robbiebot wrote:
    Hi All,

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
    No it is not. I have the 990 release, downloaded 1 hour ago.

The connecting roundabout from the M56 is there but the new A556 (Mere bypass) is totally missing. This causes real issues with route planning and delays from the M6 to a little town called Manchester.

TomTom, get a grip and sort it !!
  • BlisteringblueBlisteringblue Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    First thing I looked for after the update was the new 556. Big shame, just means a few months of Google maps, at least we don't pay anything for it. Who knows I might not go back?
  • Tony CollinsTony Collins Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    RTwo wrote:
    It's a shame road changes like this can't get updated quicker for those that don't know the area.
    But I'm at a loss how people can be 'suffering' from its omission from the map, when they actually know it's there.

It may sound a bit left field and old school, but be a rebel and drive on it even though your Tomtom doesn't show it. ;)

Here is how it breaks the navigation process:
    The old 556 is now blocked, and tomtom knows this. So as far as tomtom is concerned, this major route no longer exists at all. This means when route planning to the airport it will set a route miles out of your way. Yes, of course we can just drive the route we know (for those of us that do) but then it is not possible to see traffic conditions on the route because the satnav has not planned it. This can be critical, especially when driving to the airport.

If it is not updated until August, then it will be a full 6 months that this situation has existed.

I note the road is also not shown on MyDrive.