GO Mobile (iOS): Single track road avoidance option — TomTom Community

GO Mobile (iOS): Single track road avoidance option

PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
Would you please add the option to avoid single tack roads (except when your destination/stop is on a single track road)?

There are times when it’s nice to drive single tack roads but there are other times when you need to avoid them.

In England, and presumably it’s similar in other countries, single track roads often have the NSL (National Speed Limit) applied to them. The NSL in England is 60 mph (97 km/h), which is ridiculous as the actual speed of traffic on some of these single track roads may be nearer to 20 mph (32 km/h) due to that nature of the road and the need for caution when trying to find a passing place when you meet vehicles travelling towards you in the opposite direction. The speed limit of 60 mph (97 km/h) may also make TomTom unnecessarily favour that single track road.

In certain areas of England (i.e. Cornwall and Devon) there are a lot of single track roads and certain times of the year there are a lot of sightseers and holiday makers who drive these single track roads out of curiosity, which makes unnecessary navigation of single track roads unpleasant, slow, and even dangerous.

If the GO Mobile (iOS) maps contain enough data for 3D, then presumably the maps will already have the more essential data such as road type, width, height restriction, weight restriction, etc. so it should be easy to avoid single tack roads in TomTom GO Mobile (iOS).

Presumably the best place to put the option to avoid single tack roads would be:

Settings | Route Planning | Avoid on every route

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Privateer UK,

We've been getting some similar feedback for a while now, mainly from portable navigation device users. Our teams have been investigating the reports of non-optimal routing and in majority of cases they've turned out to be issues relating to the map data. Unfortunately, there's no easy solution to this as these cases are rather uncommon and each one has to be investigated separately. To my knowledge there's currently also no easy technical solution, such as the feature you suggest, as our map data doesn't have the required details to make such a feature reliable enough to be of much help.

It's also important to note that routing is not done based on road speeds but based on the IQ Routes data. IQ Routes is a database of speed profiles for specific road stretches at specific times. As there is generally less traffic on smaller roads there's likely less IQ Routes data to (confidently) base the routing on.

This being said, I'd be happy to forward any examples you might have of non-optimal routing to our technicians to look into. The following information would be helpful in this regard:
    • Route planning settings used (type/avoid):
    • Start point of a route where this was observed:
    • End Point of the same route:
    • Time (date/time) when you drove the route:
    • Link to the route in MyDrive:
    • Map version:
    • Software version:

Thanks, Mikko
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi MikkoK,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately I have no actual examples - it was more generic that I've found using the old legacy iOS app.

I understand what you're saying about IQ Routes data, however with TomTom GO Mobile (iOS) whilst you can do basic Advanced Planning, I've not seen the option to select the day/date of the journey. Also, by the very nature of these single track roads they are not as heavily used as other roads therefore I presume that the relative IQ Routes data for this type of road may be less than other roads.

What would be really useful is:
    1. A new type of road in the map data that refers to single track roads
    2. More road data in the standard map such as width, height and weight.

If a new type of road e.g. "Single Track" was available in the map data then the end users could easily select the option to avoid "Single Track" as they currently can with "Avoid Motorway".

If the extra road data such as width, height and weight was included in the standard map data then TomTom could offer the option (i.e. charge money) to unlock the ability to route for RVs, caravans, and trailers - or even allow truckers to use TomTom GO Mobile for accurate LGV navigation.

Regards,
    Hi Privateer UK,

Thanks for coming back!

A whole new road category in the maps sounds to me like a rather big change to address this. As mentioned, the best we can do here on the forum is to collect actual cases where the app doesn't perform as expected. With such feedback the relevant teams can then assess the impact and severity of the issue and the resources they're ready to spend on addressing it. The scope and target group of the product is also a factor. Our navigation products have always been geared towards driving in and in between cities. Navigation in rural areas is technically more challenging, as you also pointed out. To put it shortly, it has to make business sense to address a given matter.

Cheers, Mikko
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi MikkoK,
    MikkoK wrote:
    Our navigation products have always been geared towards driving in and in between cities. Navigation in rural areas is technically more challenging, as you also pointed out. To put it shortly, it has to make business sense to address a given matter.

Thanks for your reply. I fully understand that it must make business sense to apply resources to any given matter. I also appreciate that my request will not affect many users.

Perhaps my request for a new road category might make more business sense if I were to ask that you and the team to develop TomTom GO Mobile iOS into a more modular product? By this I mean that at one point we had the old iOS app, a caravan/RV PND, and a dedicated Trucker PND. Now, it'd be fantastic from a users' point (and a marketing, if not a development) point of view to have the base TomTom GO Mobile iOS product with maps containing all of the necessary data so that the user can upgrade (via in-app option/purchasing) from driving a car, to towing a trailer/caravan, driving an RV, or even fully Truck enabled.

TomTom has the ability to cater for individual types of vehicles such as solo cars, motorbikes, trailers, caravans, RVs, and trucks so wouldn't it make business sense to allow the base TomTom GO Mobile iOS product to be upgradable? :D

If you did make the base TomTom GO Mobile iOS switchable for solo cars, motorbikes, trailers, caravans, RVs, and trucks then I'd definitely upgrade to allow me to set the app for towing - which would hopefully give me routes that avoided single track roads. :)

Regards,

Regards,
    Hi Privateer UK,

That sounds like a great idea! :D I'll log this to be reported to the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
  • delboy58delboy58 Posts: 29 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    As of Yesterday 8th Sep 2017:

When is TomTom going to fix "Avoiding Single Track roads" Last week I was in Devon/Somerset visiting people in there homes using my GO 5000 and Tomtom must have taken me down every single track/unnamed road their was :-( Some were very narrow and had NO Passing places !!! I had my Go5000 set to fastest routes, and yes before anyone says I did try Eco routes But it made NO difference :-) In the end I resulted to using my in-car sat-nav Set to "MAIN Roads Only" Come On TOMTOM All we Need is a Button that says "MAIN ROADS ONLY" where possible as I do realise that some destination are going to be down a single track road
  • RikRDCRikRDC Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Would buying one of the "Pro" satnavs - designed for truckers - avoid narrow lanes? And if the data is available for those models why is it not available for cars?