Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again - Page 13 — TomTom Community

Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again

Comments

• Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    Hi Lost Soul,

nothing is eer consistent witht these devices apart from things do stop working quite a lot of the time.
    Mine has after a drum roll reset started the ALG working and it stayed working for a couple of days then as usual packed up again but today despite a reboot this morning it never worked at all while i was out at work....still it's about time they got to the bottom of this and loads of other issues that people are having including this bloody awful aggressive routing
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 162 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Covkid62

To get over the "aggressive routing" I purchased a subscription to the MAP OF EUROPE - CAMPER** to install on my Go 6200.

Thinking that setting my vehicle details to something large the PND would avoid all the single track roads. :grinning:

** It says on the TT webstore page:

This is a customized map designed for Camper and Caravan.?

And yet there is no option to input the Vehicle Type as either Camper or Caravan? ?

I was advised by Customer Services to select Van as the Vehicle Type and I tried entering several different combinations of "Van" dimensions to pretend I was using either a Camper or Caravan, but found the device was still attempting to send me down very narrow single track roads.

Of course selecting a Van instead of a Caravan or Camper will mean that speed limits will be incorrect for the vehicle type! ?

I then tried inputting different Van dimensions and found that:

Changing the overall length up to the maximum of 18.75m - NO DIFFERENCE
    Changing the width up to the maximum of 2.6m - NO DIFFERENCE
    But changing the height it did route me away from Low height bridges.

And I still get routed down all the narrow single track roads!!! :persevere:

Customer Services have acknowledged that other users have reported the same issue Based on this they have created a ticket to be investigated and forwarded it to the developers. I was also advised that the developers are actively looking into this issue impacting some customers, but regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I also received an email today on a similar note regarding the issue that many of us are experiencing on not being able to select My Places using the PC version of MyDrive........................ and I have other issues that have been outstanding and passed to the Developers over 2 years ago since I started using a Tomtom PND.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Tomtom at least told Users what the Developers are actually working on resolving ?

They could list the outstanding issues in order of the Developers priority and although time scales would be a bonus I can understand that may not be possible.

It would improve the usability of the forum by having a centralised thread listing all outstanding issues and save other users having to search to see if a problem they are experiencing has been reported before?? To avoid multiple postings input to the thread could be restricted to Tomtom staff only.

@VikramK Could a centralised thread on the forum be created listing all the outstanding issues the Developers are working on please?
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 138 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I like your optimism tbh. The developers don't tell you anything.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,081 Superusers
    Hi
    @Lost Soul
    Lost Soul wrote:
    I also received an email today on a similar note regarding the issue that many of us are experiencing on not being able to select My Places using the PC version of MyDrive

Run the MyDriveWeb Route planner and Login
    (1)... Click on the MyPlaces Icon

46cc1009-5b44-429b-9894-d33e02be8f58.png
    (2)... Scroll down find your required MyPlace
    (3)... Left Click on the required MyPlace... The map zooms in to the required MyPlace
    (4)... Right Click on the zoomed in MyPlace on the map (Blue Star)... A new menu opens
    (5)...Click on 'Use as a Starting point'

For your destination... Repeat above from (1) to (4)... But when the new menu opens
    Click on 'Plan route'

You can also add a Stop using the same method

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Lost Soul

Lost Soul wrote:
    I also received an email today on a similar note regarding the issue that many of us are experiencing on not being able to select My Places using the PC version of MyDrive
    Run the MyDriveWeb Route planner and Login
    (1)... Click on the MyPlaces Icon

46cc1009-5b44-429b-9894-d33e02be8f58.png
    (2)... Scroll down find your required MyPlace
    (3)... Left Click on the required MyPlace... The map zooms in to the required MyPlace
    (4)... Right Click on the zoomed in MyPlace on the map (Blue Star)... A new menu opens
    (5)...Click on 'Use as a Starting point'

For your destination... Repeat above from (1) to (4)... But when the new menu opens
    Click on 'Plan route'

You can also add a Stop using the same method

ATB YFM

I think you have misread my comment out of context :grinning:- this was a visual software bug affecting the display of My Places following a recent update to MyDrive (web).

The MyDrive Web team acknowledged the bug and worked quickly to resolve the issue.

If you want to read the full thread it is here - Thanks for the reply though. :ok_hand_tone5:
    D-Stream wrote:
    I like your optimism tbh. The developers don't tell you anything.

I am a glass Half-Full type of person :grinning:

Would be good to know though - and we can all dream!
  • MudSharkMudShark Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Covkid62 wrote:
    Once again I find myself having to come on here and complain about bloody lane guidance.
    After the latest update it worked for about a day and then stopped yet again so after yet more reboots it works again for only about a day.
    Can someone at Tomtom tell me why after nearly 4 years that this bloody feature will not work as it should.
    My go5000 had the same issue and now my go6200 is just as useless .
    I have set it up to display split screen view and I was hoping this update would be the one to get it working...but no still the same piece of junk it was before the update.
    Obviously the poi shown on screen is a brill new long awaited feature as is the main screen speed camera report button.

Come on Tomtom please get this issue fixed as it's driving me mad....no pun intended
  • MudSharkMudShark Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I have an old outdated tomtom start25 here. ALG worked on that device from day one and it is still working. :grin:
    But on my sophisticated GO 5200 NoGo :thumbsdown_tone2:
    Yet another update goes by and ALG still hasn't been fixed...when is it going to be sorted out Tomtom as for me it's never worked with either my nav4 or nav5 device so that's 5 bloody years and this thread has been going for over a year....talk about slow.
    Yesterday i was taken off a good A road and taken up a single track road with a warning sign of no passing places for 3/4 of a mile.....Yeah i did meet another vehicle coming the other way so had to reverse until i found a place to let the other car squeeze past...how is that saving me time Tomtom.....yet another thing we have been asking you to sort out but nothing gets done.
    Once again the last update was quite useless too so when are we going to get new DECENT features!!!!!!
    Oh dear (Yawn :kissing_smiling_eyes:)

I travelled out today on a regular short trip and going to my destination the ALG worked as normal. :grinning:

40 minutes later on my return and ALG decided not to function at all.................... :joy:

Due to an injury I have not driven for nigh on 2 weeks so the device (6200) had some pending Speed Cameras /Community map updates - would this have an impact on the ALG ?????

Anyway; all updates done + drum roll reset and then a route preview of my homeward bound trip and ALG is back on again. But for how long ????? :grinning::thinking:
    Hi lost soul.
    For me ALG is almost non existent as sometimes even after a drum roll reset it doesn’t work. I use mine virtually every day for work and I think the longest I’ve ever got it to work was for a day.
    Think Tomtom should pull their bloody finger out and get it sorted
    @Covkid62

I don't drive out each day thankfully as otherwise I would be even more aggravated as I like any technology to work correctly - just like opening the fridge door, the light comes on.............. always . :grinning:

But I had to pop out today and guess what - ALG working on the way there - then 10 minutes later on my return ALG was not working! :persevere:

I have also resorted to using my Garmin again; but that is not perfect as it appears to be affected by GPS transmissions (from my dashcam) which is stopping it receiving traffic updates occasionally - i.e. just when it is most needed!!! Although it worked well today and better than the Tomtom which would have sent me into Traffic. :grin:

My wife likes one feature of the Garmin as I can send her a link so she can track my progress / arrival on a route - I know TomTom Business have a similar function, but don't believe it has ever been available to consumers? Would be nice to have the same function for our PND's? Although I think MyDrive tracks my location - certainly on the phone, but not sure if that can be seen by others?

I was thinking the other day that since I started using TomTom just over 2 years ago that there are so many issues that TomTom have yet to resolve - ALG / Narrow lanes routing / Fully Sync with Iphone / Mapcodes on MyDrive (PC) / Traffic delays not recognised in overall route calculation / road closures or roadworks not being reported or acted upon / POI Management……………. I am sure there are lots more……….. Plus of course all the "useful" historic features that have fallen by the wayside. :kissing_closed_eyes:
    Hi again lost soul

I am currently on holiday in Florida and I have my untrustworthy go 6200 with me and guess what. ALG has worked perfectly the whole time I have been here and that’s without a single drum roll reset so I’m starting to think that could the issue be actually with the UK/Europe map as I’m not having any issues while using the USA map and I don’t remember seeing any American users complaining about the fault.
    I have to admit I am fast losing the plot with Tomtom as they are painfully slow in doing any bug fixing and map errors being sorted are few and far between.
    lost count of how many road speed errors I’ve reported via my device and after many map updates they still haven’t been sorted.
    This will probably be my last ever Tomtom as I’m totally fed up of the faults these things have.
    Even over here I’ve had issues with the bloody blue route line vanishing at really inconvenient times and the only way to get it back is to re calculate the route which is dangerous while driving on some of the freeways.
    have always had Tomtom devices since sat navs first appeared years ago but I think it’s time for a change so Garmin next time for me and Tomtom can only blame themselves for losing customers as the customer service is shoddy at best
    @Covkid62

Hi, trust you are enjoying your Florida vacation :grinning:- luckily you are well clear of the flooding North of you.

You may well be right as I have noticed differences in routing and other issues depending on the device / map installed. You would hope that Tomtom software would work on a modular basis, that the basic programming code for the ALG would be the same on all devices??

I read on the forum somewhere that Tomtom has to maintain well in excess of a hundred different maps - this obviously can give rise to vagaries of operation plus delays in updating maps!

As I am currently using both Garmin and Tomtom devices I would say think carefully about moving as both devices are not perfect by any means..................:grinning:

On Saturday night for example; the Garmin detected a 8 minute traffic delay on my route (nothing on the Tomtom) which turned out to be a phantom or defending the Garmin the delay might have cleared by the time I got there and it was just slow in removing the warning, it happens on a semi regular basis and rather like the ALG issue Garmin have not been able to resolve the issue which has been ongoing for some time. I think it is a fault in the predictive traffic delay algorithm based on historical delays as these phantom traffic delays occur in areas where delays can often occur - it has predicted a 15 minute delay on a local road at 3am when at that time of the morning I am often the only car on the road! I tend to ignore (or try to validate them by looking on other platforms) these warnings and the Garmin's attempt to reroute me, but I know that to my cost I will one day ignore the "phantom" traffic warning and end up stuck in a major traffic jam!
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 138 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I would like to add my 6200 and myself had a brief but emotional continuous operation of the alg today.

Didn't last long though.
    I’ve seen ALG quite a few times since I’ve been out in Florida but no doubt it will be all shy again when I get back to the Uk and bugger off as usual
  • smashysmashy Posts: 235 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    6100 stolen ,,had 6200 two days ,,,deary me no motorqay lane guidence , sometimes doesnt auto zoom on roundabouts missing driving lines like yours, I have factory reset 3 times now,Fixs it apart from never had lane guidance on this unit. Is it the 6200 or do I take it back and try another one as this may be a rogue unit
    Hi Smashy...i would take it back and get a garmin as these things are bloody useless...lost count of the issues mine has had and tomtom are dreadfully slow at doing anything or even bothering at all with faults.....Garmin for me next time as it can't be any worse than the pile of junk I have now.
    As I have mentioned on my 6200 lane guidance worked fine in Florida but is useless here as even after a drum roll reset it will either not work at all or work for a couple of hours oh and the route line vanishing was dreadful in America as vanished countless times and had to re calculate the route to get it back....dread to think how long it will take them to sort that fault out seeing as lane guidance still isn't working after nearly 18 months
    Hi Covkid62,,I know what you mean ,it seems ok today including Lane Guidance.I really did consider Garmin(and the model I was going to get) had one years ago but I do a shedload of miles and internet talk allways says the Traffic is far superior on Tom Tom

Tell you what is good how fast it is compared to the 6100 finding alternative routes was allways so slow painfully so. This is quick and actually has given me a cheat fix to prevent me going down narrow country lanes I think. Yesterday Leighton buzzard to St Ives cambs, got going a turn right looked very nasty one of those single track jobs that went on forever ,thought no not today thanks Pulled over did an alternative route the slowest time was 30 minutes more but I hit that and off I went ...all ...main roads brilliant and i expect it was probably just as fast because Tom Tom thinks those lanes can be taken at national speed limit 60 mph...we shall persevere. Good Luck mate
    thanks for the reply Smashy.
    I used to have the go5100 and you are right it was painfully slow at almost everything.
    So yeah the new WiFi devices are quicker but that’s about it as my go6200 still has the same issues as my old one did.
    Lane guidance for me has always been an issue on both devices and the routing is bloody awful.
    I am a service engineer and I do about 35,000 miles a year so use mine on a daily basis and the amount of times I have found myself stuck down single track roads with no passing places is beyond a joke but they won’t give us a simple switch to say avoid those types of roads.
    One way of sorting it would be if we was allowed to have trucking software which would mean we could avoid the issues by adjusting our vehicle dimensions but of course Tomtom won’t do that because they want to charge truckers a small fortune for the truck devices.
    As you have said Tomtom traffic is probably the best but I’m getting to the point I would gladly give that up for a garmin because Tomtom devices are too riddled with bugs and they take bloody ages fixing anything
    Covekid62 the thing is Garmin is just as bad with the Narrow country lanes I have read. Maybe the answer is/was to bite the bullet and buy say the 2500 for example the van/truck version.But I have read its really clunkey and slow...what can you do
    The thing is I bought the 6200 thinking that maybe they had sorted the bugs out and I’m now fed up with spending large sums of money on devices that are not very good.
    If they were cheap and cheerful I would accept the fact that they are not very good but I paid £330 for this so as far as I’m concerned it should work. Is that too much to ask
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    @Covkid62 For what it's worth, I am in the states and ALG does disappear. It seems to disappear most frequently when the device is stressed -- in other words, mainly in busy areas. Perhaps the area of Florida you were in had relatively light traffic when you were there. (Though last time I was in Florida I had to do a factory reset to get traffic back, but many places in Florida have relatively light traffic.)
    Hi Big

I would say the traffic was quite busy where I was as I drove from Orlando down to Key West and on the way back I went into Miami Beach and for me ALG was quite good which was weird coz in the UK it’s bloody useless and hardly ever works
    as I’ve mentioned the only real issue I had was the route line kept vanishing so it seems I gained in one area and lost in another
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    Hi @Covkid62 Yes, that is a pretty busy corridor in some places. On the other hand, I've never had the route line disappear, so it gets stranger and stranger!