Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again - Page 12 — TomTom Community

Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again

Comments

• slliwslliw Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    big wrote:
    No, traffic is available only in the region where you purchased your device. It's not a technical issue, it's a licensing/policy issue.

The exception to this is to use an external RDS/TMC receiver. This will give you some rudimentary traffic in metropolitan areas. Better than nothing, for sure, but not as good as TomTom's Live traffic.
    Thats a shame I thought it was just a Wi-fi/network issue. I’ve seen that transmitter on another thread and it’s lots of cables. Does the traffic get updated via the tomtom or is it some sort of alert thing?
    I’ve only had mine a few weeks after Halfords tried to pass a refurb model as new which I returned. I’ve got a 4 hr journey on Sat so I’ll be able to comment on the Lane assist once I’m back.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    @slliw The external traffic receiver isn't an extra cable. It's like the regular lead but with a receiver built in. See here:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/traffic-receiver/

Also, you mention lane assist -- just in case it wasn't apparent, lane assist and advanced lane guidance aren't related to traffic. Those features work regardless of traffic status. (Well, when ALG decides to work, anyhow.)
    big wrote:
    @slliw The external traffic receiver isn't an extra cable. It's like the regular lead but with a receiver built in. See here:
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/traffic-receiver/

Also, you mention lane assist -- just in case it wasn't apparent, lane assist and advanced lane guidance aren't related to traffic. Those features work regardless of traffic status. (Well, when ALG decides to work, anyhow.)

Yep that’s the one I saw, but I understand better now as I thought it was an extra cable to my already existing set up of dash cam cable, iphone cable, 6200 cable and aux cable all running across my tiny fiesta lol

im aware that ALG has nothing to do with traffic it was my way of returning the discussion back to the table :p
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 162 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yesterday I drove out for 15 miles; the ALG working perfectly on the Motorway exits :grinning: stopped for about an hour leaving the Go 6200 in the glove box and on my return journey the ALG was not working on my exit from the M25:disappointed_relieved: .

But I wonder if the current temperatures are having an effect on our PND’s as on checking the internal car temperature the other day I recorded in excess of 50°C even in the glovebox and I have had the odd behavioural issue on my 6200 recently in these "heatwave" conditions?
    Perhaps, but it fails in cold winter weather too.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 626 Superuser
    ...and the fact we know this speaks volumes for how long this problem has been going on for :confused:

@VikramK - are there any indications as to when a firmware release will be issued to address this problem? Your post here suggests that the root cause has been identified - however that was over 6 months ago, and there have been no updates since.
    Did my first main drive with my new 6200 from London to Stonehenge. ALG didn't work going but activated about 3 times on the way back. Impressive when it actually works
  • Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    Hi Slliw....You will find unfortunately that most of the time it won't work unless you do a drum roll reset then it might work for a couple of hours if you are lucky.
    As you can see from this thread it's been a problem for a very long time
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 140 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    You may even find it doesn't work at all on a journey and pop up when you least expect it.

I call this surprise motoring from tom tom.

Even after a drum roll reset it may it may not.

Brush it under the carpet programming from tom tom..
    bumping this up again hoping that Tomtom might actually get the idea that we are getting fed up of waiting and i'm doing my best to make sure that poepl know about how bad these devices are and i'll keep on doing it till they pull their bloody finger out and fix this long standing fault
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    The lack of response or acknowledgement on here despite being asked repeatedly and politely is appalling....it appears as long as the TomTom shareholders are happy then that's it and the TomTom 'analyst' if he/she still exists has a lot to answer for.

It does make me wonder if their software development is outsourced like their customer support.

It's a shame as TomTom are good devices that could be even better which is the point, if they carry on like they are, then soon there will be a rival with better traffic and once you loose loyal customers you won't get them back.

I would have thought the improvements being asked for (including ALG, aggressive routing and POI management) would impact positively not only PND and mobile ranges but also future in-built car devices.
    Have people had experience of using other systems navs like Garmin where the ALG works 100%?
    I was going to buy Garmin over the 6200 but the lack of world maps put me off.
    Really not sure about Garmin as i've tried to stay loyal to Tomtom but that loyalty is wearing very thin at the minute...ALG has never worked properly for me in 5 years of these nav 4/5 devices
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @VikramK @lampard @Lorna

Which one of you is going to calm the "restless Indians"

What exactly is the status of the corrective software update?
    1. Imminent?
    2. Next month?
    3. This quarter?
    4. Within another year :( ?
    5. Not going to be done?
    It HAS to be one of these so which one??????
    I suspect the answer is "don't know". That doesn't mean it won't be fixed, but perhaps even the software engineers don't have a clear picture of what needs to be done or what other fixes and improvements will interfere with getting it done. And even if the engineers DO know, that information probably does not make its way to the moderators here. It all seems to be treated as very sensitive and confidential information -- no idea why since it's hurting TomTom's reputation!
    Just had an email from Tomtom. Are they having a bloody laugh

768ef849-94f4-47f3-a59a-f1f216eff5ef.png
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hello everyone

Thank you all for your patience so far.

We are aware that a fix on the ALG bug has been delayed but this does not mean that we have ignored the problem, believe me our team is working hard to get it resolved.

Some of our experiments and fixes have delivered not so satisfactory results so the next release will unfortunately not cover this. We are sorry about the delay and please accept our sincere apologies for this.

Regards
    Vikram
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 496 [Exalted Navigator]
    slliw wrote:
    Have people had experience of using other systems navs like Garmin where the ALG works 100%?
    I was going to buy Garmin over the 6200 but the lack of world maps put me off.
    I've used Garmin devices, including the Driveluxe 50LMT-D but in my view there is a big issue that makes their guidance way inferior to TomTom and that is, when you approach a large and busy roundabout junction (the know the type I mean, with lane markings and sometimes traffic lights as you drive around it), the Garmin devices don't usually specify the road number of the exit you are wanting to take but just the name of the road. What use is that if you aren't familiar with the area? I found it too stressful to be driving up to such a roundabout on my route, only to be told, "Take the fourth exit, Alexander Way [or whatever]" and then having to look at the signs to see if I could find the road number to follow on the painted lane markings. Add to that, their traffic info is rubbish, so my advice - stick with TomTom, at least until something better comes along.
    H VikramK....thought you had vanished of the face of the earth seeing as we have been ignored mostly over the last year and I'm sorry it's just not good enough that even now after over a year of complaints this fault has still not been fixed...you can say sorry as much as you want but all it is showing is that your teams are no good so why not get someone in who is capable of fixing this issue.
    All that this is doing is showing how poor Tomtom are at sorting out customer complaints.....you really need to pull your finger out before you don't have any customers left...shocking customer services once again
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 496 [Exalted Navigator]
    Covkid62 wrote:
    H VikramK....thought you had vanished of the face of the earth seeing as we have been ignored mostly over the last year and I'm sorry it's just not good enough that even now after over a year of complaints this fault has still not been fixed...you can say sorry as much as you want but all it is showing is that your teams are no good so why not get someone in who is capable of fixing this issue.
    All that this is doing is showing how poor Tomtom are at sorting out customer complaints.....you really need to pull your finger out before you don't have any customers left...shocking customer services once again
    I don't want to deviate off-topic too much but I just wanted to add that I've had roughly the same response over the issue of being routed off A & B roads down single track country roads with all the attendant hazards.

After many e-mails back and forth with a very helpful and sympathetic customer services advisor (in response to a letter I wrote to TomTom's HQ in The Netherlands) I was basically told that they can't resolve the issue, "Our map coverage is the majority of the planet and that makes it hard to make every nook and cranny in rural areas 100% accurate. The only thing I can do is report this in our Internal feedback channel and have you do map share reports. Other than that there is little we can do to speed up the process unfortunately. I hope you do understand this...What I do know is that there is no solution, only gradual improvement and this is when map share comes into place. Improvement will happen and it will happen over time."

This was in response to my comments, "Given that TomTom is a 'huge company', they could easily solve this by allocating some of their huge profits to, if necessary, engaging personnel with the ability to sort out these sort of problems. Think about this - it's now some fifty years since we navigated space to put men on the moon, which required amazing technology to achieve. Since then, technology has advanced beyond anyone's imagination and yet despite that, TomTom can't be relied upon to plan routine journeys on our own planet. You would have thought that given the length of time the company has been in existence, they would be at the cutting edge of navigation technology, but clearly they are not."
    Hi BrianE.
    Really good reply so thanks for that.
    You are totally right in that Tomtom should be putting resources into fixing all the issues that these devices have after all we are paying top dollar for these things and they are so full of bugs it’s unreal.
    I too have had many many instances of very aggressive routing and being stuck on single track roads in the dark with no passing places.
    Surely if they can put avoid motorways and toll roads on our devices why can we avoid unclassified roads and B roads etc.
    As i have said many times before if Tomtom do not up their game then they are going to end up going the way of companies like Nokia etc
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    i agree that ALG should be fixed by now but at least they are managing expectations which is progress and admitting they are still working on it.

Hopefully this means a software update is immenient with some new functionality for NAV 4/5 devices.
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 140 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Yes but they cannot tell you what it is.

it will be hidden under bugfixes and improvements..
    bumping this back to the top so that Tomtom don't conveniently forget about it seeing as they can't fix it
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 162 [Exalted Navigator]
    Last Wednesday I won a "lucky dip" on the National Lottery (as random and as good as it gets for me!) and the next day on one of my regular weekly trips out ALG worked for both the outward and return journey :grinning:.

But a few days later with no speed camera or map share updates doing the same journey ALG was not working at all........ So very random :thinking:

But I have also noticed on my last 4 or 5 journeys that my device (Go 6200) is first calculating a route which is directing me towards traffic delays then a minute or so later it advises me of a quicker route saving say 6 minutes on a 20 minute journey. I have checked the route using MYDrive which correctly shows the shorter route and my Go 6200 is picking up the Traffic signals at all times - so another puzzle?