Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again - Page 10 — TomTom Community

Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again

Comments

• Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    well would you believe it....the latest firmware update still hasn't fixed ALG as most of you probably know by now and yes we know that Tomtom has included a little battery drain tool for our expensive devices.
    since Apple released ios11 they have released quite a few updates to fix issues in only a matter of weeks....with Tomtom we are lucky if we get a fix in many months and then they not only keep us in the dark with what they have supposed to have fixed but they then introduce other bugs.....what a nightmare this company is.....just remember Nokia.......
  • PatjepeeerPatjepeeer Posts: 65 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    So Vikram, could you provide us with an update on this issue please?
  • ChrisL69ChrisL69 Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Having updated to the latest software released yesterday, I can firmly say that the ALG and vanishing building issues are now worse! Congratulations TomTom on making my unit function less well than it did before.
    I started this thread over 9 months ago and still Tomtom are nowhere near fixing this fault....talk about slow....over 10,000 views so obviously lots of people are having this issue and despite 3 updates since this thread started we still have the fault...useless :angry:
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Dont think it’s going to happen Covkid62 along with displayed/management of POI and avoidance of single track routing.

Used to be an innovative company but one can see the parallels with Nokia who used to be top of the class for mobile phones.

After 14 years this will be my last TomTom.
    Yeah think you are right Brucey this is never going to be fixed or it would have been by now and like you I’ll not be buying another Tomtom device again and I have stood by this company since the first invention of sat navs. Really sick and tired of waiting for this thing that I paid a lot of money for to be working as it should and to have features like other companies devices have.
    Really find it hard to believe that Tomtom have allowed someone to change what used to be fantastic devices worth every penny of the cost to these useless things which I think will be the downfall of this company
    VikramK wrote:
    Hello all

**Update**

We have some news for everyone here.

Our developers have reproduced this bug and have now identified the root cause.

A task has been created for them to get this fixed as soon as possible. Now creating a fix is one thing, but getting it integrated with the new firmware is where the critical job comes into the picture. We would like to stress that this issue has all the attention of our development team. So, for now, we cannot comment on a time frame. As soon as we get an estimated date for the fix we will inform you here.

Important
    In the meanwhile, it's highly recommended to avoid using sleep mode
    , but instead shut down

the device when not in use. You should notice an improved ALG performance.

Thank you
    Vikram

Hi Vikram,

Could you please provide us with an update about this issue?

Thanks!
    still no update about this issue....will soon be a year since i started this thread and still not fixed...imagine if Apple were this slow in sorting out faults....disgraceful once again Tomtom....get it sorted
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 161 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have only been a regular Tomtom user since mid 2016, as my preferred PND then was a Garmin, but I migrated to Tomtom; partly as I was becoming frustrated with the incorrect traffic and roadworks data reported on the Garmin and partly with TT being my wife’s preference, and it was becoming a pain to keep the 2 separate company devices updated which became easier to maintain favourite destinations / POI’s on several devices through TT MyDrive; albeit with limitations!!

Like many others I have experienced random / intermittent ALG on the TT devices for which I can see no common causes and to overcome this I have had both a TT and a Garmin device on the dashboard purely to get the Lane Guidance information from the Garmin much to the annoyance of my wife!

However I have to agree it did become frustrating as both devices would often offer completely different navigations routes ☺ and so I resorted to just using the TT (Go 6200).

I travel on the motorways 3-4 times a week starting and returning along the M25 mainly between Junctions 16-27 and so was completely surprised a couple of weeks ago to get the ALG (Split View) at Junctions 20 Anticlockwise then on my return Junction 21 Clockwise both of which I have never seen since Mid 2016!!!

Also that day I had the ALG displayed at Clockwise Junction 21A which has appeared before but intermittently ……………….

I mentioned this the next day to a colleague who also uses a TT (Go 6100) as he was also returning home on the same route as I and he confirmed that he too had the ALG for both Junctions 21 and 21A clockwise that day for which he was so surprised to see the latter (never seen before and he has been using his Go 6100 for ~ 18 months) that he almost missed his turnoff ☺.

Both of us had not done any soft hard or factory resets recently, so we were both puzzled as to what had suddenly caused the appearance of the ALG at the above junctions when they had been missing for approaching 18 months………… ?????

We discussed that possibly the ALG had been updated through the Community Map updates??

The ALG continued working for me until one Friday night a week later when I travelled to Oxford but on my return journey it reverted back to no ALG at any junctions………………………….

I have subsequently done a soft reset (Drum roll), factory reset and recovery mode resets, and I am turning the device off instead of letting it go into Sleep mode as TT have suggested but so far no ALG……………... so irritating and so random.

My wife changed her car 4 months ago and that has a built in Sat Navigation device……………………

Guess what, although the ALG equivalent works; we are having other issues which are more frustrating including no POI imports at all, and sending her to destinations up to ¼ mile or greater away from the post code and street number entered; such that I am having to enter latitude and longitude coordinates for all her favourites which is so time consuming on the device. We have reported this to the manufacturer and so far 4 months later there has been no solution. Using my Garmin again resurrected memories of outstanding issues I raised over 18 months ago – Déjà vu ☺

So what is that is so difficult for the manufacturers to resolve issues on a timely basis???

Is it that the various components; i.e. hardware / software / firmware / screen menus are all developed / contracted out to individual companies and whilst we may believe we are dealing with the one company that sold us the PND, the issues are more difficult to track down due to the complexity of having a number of companies involved?

But despite the various issues viz: ALG, phantom traffic and lack of detection of roadworks and closures; TT for me does “currently” win the day and so I will continue to persevere with my 6200 and wait patiently (but not for ever ☺) for TT to fix these issues, but with the advances being made with the Free Apps it makes using a smartphone a compelling alternative; TT really do need to advance their PND’s to a level that makes them a compelling offer once again, one that could keep your smartphone firmly in your pocket for your next journey…………………….☺

I thought when TT said they had detected the root cause of the problem on 11 December 2017 that a fix could have been made in time for Xmas 2017- maybe it will be TT’s “2018” Xmas present to us all – I dream it could be earlier☺
    Hi lost soul....quite a reply so thanks for that.
    I'm just so fed up witht his device now and it's faults.
    When the first pnd's arrived from tomtom i was one of the first to snap one up and it was a brill device and as time went on they got better and better and i upgraded every time a new model appeared and the price didn't matter at all i just had to have the latest one that tomtom did.
    Then they decided to change to these nav4 devices and once again i had to buy one and boy was i totally dissapointed when i first switched it on...where was all the brilliant features we used to have in older tomtom's.
    Thought i would give it a while and see if it got improved but after nearly 5 years of nav4/5 i can honestly say they have improved but not nearly as much as they need to.
    This ALG issue has been the same since the nav4 came out as my go5000 had the same issue but when they released the new 6200 with split screen ALG i thought they might have fixed it so rather stupidly i parted with £339 only to find the same bloody fault with that too.
    I can turn mine off every night and when i go out to work in the morning sometimes i will get ALG for a couple of hours and somtimes i get bugger all.
    The most annoying part is now they have admitted the fault and they have managed to replicate it but still no fix....just how useless can the software engineers be if they are not capable of fixing a fault with their software...can you imagine what would happen to staff at either Microsoft or Apple if they perfomed the same.
    I have to say that these useless expensive devices will be the death of Tomtom as most phones are much more capable of navigation and google/apple maps are free etc so they need to up their game because i for one will never buy another piece of junk form Tomtom....5 years i have been a beta tester for these things and still they are full of faults and poor features and despite people asking for updates on this issue Tomtom employees on these forums do nothing but ignore our requests.....very poor customer services
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 161 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi @Covkid62

I can recognize your frustrations as I have only experienced the later generation devices, and what we as users regard as being an “essential” function may be regarded as ‘desirable’ and a lower priority by Tomtom ☻

I am arranging to borrow an earlier generation device (Go Live 1005); so it will be interesting to see how that performs and compare what features have been omitted from the current generation devices. ☺

Yay………… I drove out last night and rather mysteriously as no resets of any kind ; the ALG started working again ☺.

I wonder how long it will last, however as I was exiting from the M25 Motorway (ALG split screen appeared ☺) a few hundred yards on the slip road the 6200 acted weirdly and showed not my route in 3D but an overview of the area, but the map looked strange and possibly transposed left to right?? I had to re-input (after stopping) my destination several times before it worked correctly again. Not seen anything like this before, assume it could be linked to the random appearance of the ALG and will monitor how the device performs.
  • D-StreamD-Stream Posts: 138 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Bumped as it should be updated as to whats going on but we can only pray I guess.
    cheers for the bump d-stream....the mods are very quiet and despite being asked questions they still ignore everyone.
    Lost Soul i used to have a go live 1005 and it was a brilliant device and with loads of ways to customize it the way you wanted but then some bright spark at tomtom decided to bring out the useless nav4 things that you can hardly do bugger all to...one of the most stupid decisions ever i think...they have ruined what used to be premium top of the range devices...am sure they will regret that one day....Nokia
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Nokia 6310i was best company mobile I’ve ever had, charged it once a week.

Happy days just like my Go Live 1000, unfortunately progress does not always translate to better especially in the world of TomTom.

As long as the shareholders are happy then the customer does not matter so it would seem to me.
    Brucey i had many nokia phones over the years and were simply the best money could buy...bit like tomtom devices used to be before they made this stupid mistake...Nokia went belly up because they didn't keep up with the times...bit like this company
    Hey @Covkid62 how do you think tom tom are getting on with this year old bug.

Personally I think they have hidden the code behind one of the houses on the 3d map and its disappeared.
    You are probably right D-stream...once again the silence from Tomtom is deafening despite many people asking for updates....totally useless :rage:
  • MyNameAllreadyExistsMyNameAllreadyExists Posts: 65 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    How is TomTom going to get on with autonomous cars?????

https://automotive.tomtom.com/automotive-solutions/autonomous-driving/
    they can't even get bloody lane guidance to work so would not trust a car with tomtom software in it....all the cars would probably get stuck in a single track road mashed up by tractors :joy::joy:
    bumping this back to the top which i will continue to do until Tomtom pull their finger out and get it fixed..total joke now as to why this issue hasn't been resolved....I want answers now Tomtom!!!!!!!
    You mean to say after all this time and its still not working its still not fixed.
    Ithink we can safely say D-Stream that it's still not working :)
    Patjepeeer wrote:
    VikramK wrote:
    Hello all

**Update**

We have some news for everyone here.

Our developers have reproduced this bug and have now identified the root cause.

A task has been created for them to get this fixed as soon as possible. Now creating a fix is one thing, but getting it integrated with the new firmware is where the critical job comes into the picture. We would like to stress that this issue has all the attention of our development team. So, for now, we cannot comment on a time frame. As soon as we get an estimated date for the fix we will inform you here.

Important
    In the meanwhile, it's highly recommended to avoid using sleep mode

, but instead shut down

the device when not in use. You should notice an improved ALG performance.

Thank you
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

Could you please provide us with an update about this issue?

Thanks!

Could anyone from TomTom provide me with an update please?

It is still a very annoying issue. Last December the service desk promissed me that this issue will be fixed within two month. It's already March though...
    Patjepeeer i'm afraid you're wasting you time as I'm starting to think Tomtom couldn't care less....quite a few of us have asked for updates on this but as usual we are being ignored.....last time i'll ever let Tomtom have a penny of my hard earned cash as i'll be getting a Garmin next time....
    I contacted support again.
    See what happens...