Heart rate on Spark watch — TomTom Community

Heart rate on Spark watch

TerikubTerikub Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
I bought this Spark Cardio + Music because I needed to know my heart rate. How do I set it to ONLY see my heart rate 24/7. This thing is buzzing at me with up arrows, down arrows, targets, etc. I just need to see my heart rate ..... I'm not using the music, the GPS, or any of the other stuff. How do I do that?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,815 Superusers
    You can't see your current HR 24/7, it is not available and will kill the battery in less than a day. The 24/7 HR tracking takes a reading every 10 minutes and the data is available to view on the app or website. To see your current HR you can either go to the Sensor screen and it will be available when you go into heart or you can go to an activity start screen and it will be visible there. To see it at all times you would need to start an activity, but if you choose gym and have all training modes off you will not get any alerts, just start it, scroll to HR and leave it there. You will get maybe a day worth of reading before it needs to be recharged.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • TerikubTerikub Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you for your reply. I figured out if I turned goals to "off" then the constant buzzing of alerts stopped. You are correct, wearing it to monitor my heart rate drains the battery. I will have to research again and find another way to monitor the heart rate 24/7. This was not the product to buy for my needs. :( Thanks again for your help tfarabaugh.
    I don't know of any devices that will monitor your HR every second 24/7 due to the battery constraints. Most take a reading every few minutes, which is fine for a 24/7 view. Why do you want to see your real-time HR at all times? The TomTom fitness trackers, like the Touch will give you on demand HR just by pressing a button, while taking the 24/7 m,measurements in the background, which may suit your purpose. There are plenty of these types of devices on the market from TT and other brands.
  • oliverquinterooliverquintero Posts: 26 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Actually there is a way to do this, just go to Settings, then Sensors, then Heart.
    The display will then start to display your current HR.
    That screen is designed to turn ON/OFF the HR sensor but I guess it could be used to monitor your HR in real time without having to register any activity.
    d8492a33-bc0a-406f-812e-ba0a125b9af7.jpg
    Thank you Oliverquintero...... Your answer was the same as I received from an e-mail today from TomTom support. I am going to try that and see how it affects the battery. I am thinking it won't run down the battery as much as keeping an activity open.

I do realize I am not using this product as it was designed to be used. I do use it on the treadmill, but with my heart problems my heart rate goes all over the map. It can be 135 just sitting here typing and if I get up and walk to the kitchen that can send it to 158. But since I have bought this TomTom, I realize I can't be on the treadmill longer than 10-15 mins as the heart rate goes up to 160 just walking slowly at 2 -2.5 ....... and the doctor said not to work it more than 153 bpm. Something went wrong with my heart during my last surgery. :-( Even when I am sleeping the heart rate won't go down.... it stays at 130+. I don't like having to wear the holter monitor the doctor had me wearing to get readings. (Not to mention it was quite costly).

Before my surgery I could go 6 miles on the treadmill daily and 10 miles on the recumbent bike daily and my HR was always around 65-70. Can't do much of anything until we figure out what happened and how to fix it. So I am having to monitor it closely.
    Thanks..... I have answered your questions above in my response to Oliver.
    I would not be using the watch to monitor heart rate for a medical condition. Optical HR is hit or miss and is not meant for medical use. Under your circumstances you may want to talk to your doctor about getting a device certified for medical use.