New update 17.1 available now!

JulianJulian Posts: 2,158 Retired Community Managers and Staff
Hi all,

I am very happy to inform you that the new 17.1 update is now available for all GO 5xxx-6xxx, GO 4xx-6xx and GO,VIA and START 4x-6x devices!

[h2]What's new?[/h2]
[h3]Visualization of Custom POIs on the map[/h3]
We're very happy to be able to present this long awaited feature to you! :D

Custom POIs can now be displayed on the map. You can now select an icon for your custom POIs to be displayed them on the map.

7dded334-727c-44c9-9000-0406424390d5.png
2254f74a-6724-4ddb-9f45-987ee5a0be94.png
Click the spoiler for more information.
To select an icon for your custom POI set choose Menu > Settings > Appearance > Show POI lists on map

2ef4dca9-cc07-4ab3-bc5c-eed6f8c7ab1d.png

By tapping on the listed POI set you can choose a symbol to represent the POI set or choose to hide the POI set from the map.

4a623e40-7e80-41a2-a398-15e0be5cc72d.png
[h3]Split Screen Advanced Lane Guidance[/h3]
You can now choose to have advanced lane guidance displayed on a split screen.

4f63e24d-0824-4362-942a-a8c5d535e520.png
Click on the spoiler for more information
This feature can be enabled in Settings > Appearance > Motorway Exit Previews > Show map and Preview

911aeea3-156f-49d8-9475-819ca547365a.png

[h3]Report Speed Camera Improvements [/h3]
Speed cameras can now be reported by tapping on the new Speed Camera Icon in the current road/speed bar.

c0b0163c-cf2f-4d89-812d-8f85409b436b.png
[h3]Step by Step Search[/h3]
You can now choose a Step by Step search (previously only available on START devices).

You can select your search mode at:
Menu > Settings > System > Choose a Search mode > Step by Step Search

Click the spoiler for more information
With the Step by Step Search you can search for address by first entering City/Post Code > Street Name > House number

Step by Step Search can be enabled in Menu > Settings > System > Choose a Search mode > Step by Step Search

711a47b7-56db-41de-9d6e-58e3f503fa69.png

In Step by Step Search mode Search is renamed Drive

d989808a-cffd-4f66-b807-75d18399f180.png

The Drive menu contains three options: Address/i], Point of Interest and Latitude Longitude

4f411660-4359-40fd-85e0-cdf843e9cf61.png

In this mode you search for the City first. Note: You can change the country in the top right.

3e0c8a80-0a9d-4f9c-8da1-76a240f0edf1.png

After choosing the City the user needs to choose the Street Name

ff02819c-8715-4912-90c2-f15eedb75614.png

And finally House number

831c9af4-df62-49ed-af7b-847f13bb498e.png

In the Point of Interest menu you can choose the range for your search.

c0691e73-20c8-4077-b2ca-f8d61c6e58a4.png

The Latitude Longitude menu brings up the coordinate search. You can also see here examples of coordinates (your current location) in different formats you can use.

02bf19ea-5628-4148-937d-88103a70c59c.png
[h3]Other bug fixes and improvements[/h3]
Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented.

Drive safe! :D

Cheers, Julian

Comments

• Ovalball03Ovalball03 Posts: 289 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Thank the lord?Can't wait to get home and try it out.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,521 Superuser
    @Ovalball03

Don't hold your breath in anticipation of POI implementation, you can only add a coloured shape from a predefined list and not sure about what sound, if any; as it looks like you can not define a proximity distance :(
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,574 Superuser
    Downloaded easily and worked as described.
  • Richard747Richard747 Posts: 27 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Has 17.1 fixed the following really annoying error that was reported months ago by many users?

We have a 6200 and 6000, one in each car. MyDrive was sending a destination from one device to the other while driving as they share the same e-mail address.

I spent quite sometime setting up the devices with the same MyDrive e-mail on Support recommendation. Previously I had two different e-mails (the one on the 6000 was fictitious). I deleted the fictitious one, had to do a factory reset on the 6000 after manually entering all the worldwide My Places into the new 6200. Finally these synched through MyDrive to the reset 6000.
    I don't have the appetite to reverse that whole process and have to make up another fictious address.

I have had to log out of MyDrive on the 6200 every time I use it to stop it sending the new destination to the 6000 in the other car...and vv. However I have discovered that it is necessary to be logged onto MyDrive to receive an SMS message. It is an elementary thought that a system that changes the destination on one device when changing the destination on the other device is an obvious non-starter.

It is great to be able to share MyPlaces between devices via MyDrive...but to simultaneously change the destinations!
  • merlinpantsmerlinpants Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Poi along route still not working properly. It only shows the poi close to your current position and then ever decreasing grey dots the further away from current position you go. Not much use if you are trying to plan stops at your custom poi along the route.

Also, only one poi showing on the map when two selected. The second only appears when you start zooming in on the map?
  • bigbig Posts: 1,548 Superuser
    @Richard747 I think they consider that a feature, not a bug. The devices are identified by the signin info. There aren't names given to the devices. How would it distinguish them?

If you want to treat them separately you'll have to give them a unique email. I agree, the solution would be to name them but unfortunately that's not how it's set up. Support gave you poor info.
  • Richard747Richard747 Posts: 27 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Thanks for the reply. The solution would be to stop device-to-device sending of the destination ONLY. It could still permit sharing MyPlaces.

For many years the TT setup using fictious e-mail addresses has been awkward. After much feedback TT eventually changed the procedure to allow one address for more than one device, considerably easing the setup.

Now if my wife changes the destination in her car whilst I am driving mine I get rerouted to her destination. I cannot see how anyone would consider that a feature.

Support wrote:

Thank you for calling TomTom Customer Support. The reference number for your query is 1701xx-xxxxxx.

From your query, I understand when you plan a route on your GO 6200, the same route is transferred to your GO 6000.

Richard, as per our conversation, we are facing a technical issue for which a ticket has been raised (Ccare 2586) and that is the reason a route is transferred to the other device as well.

I will be keeping your case under investigation and soon as the issue has been resolved, I will be updating you right away.

If you require any further assistance apart from this, please feel free to reply me on this e-mail and I will be more than happy to help you.

With Kind Regards,
    Customer Service Representative

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on public forum!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,574 Superuser
    HI Merlinpants

I have loaded the National Trust POI file and then selected it to be displayed and it shows NT Poi in the map I can see if I have not Zoomed out to a large map area.. If I keep zooming out I reach a Map area where they are then not displayed. There is a point at which they are displayed over quite an area and with the Display icon I have selected for all of them.

If you Zoom in and out until you find the largest map area you can see with the POI's displayed you can then move the map around until the area you want is displayed and the POI's for that area are shown on it. You can then select the POI you want.

I assume the thinking may be that if you have requested lots of POI categories to be displayed then if you zoom out to the whole map area for example it would be a mass of Icons and unusable.

Doug
  • dagenhamboydagenhamboy Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    My go 5000 not showing any POI in the Appearance settings got all the other updates though.
  • argelesargeles Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Likewise for my go 5100, not showing any POI in the Appearance settings. All the other updates ok.
    Did restart twice but no difference (re POI).
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Load the pois using MyDrive and then syncing with your device.

Then do a drum reset on the device by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Now look to the Appearance setting and your poi lists should be there with a switch to show on map or not.
  • jonowilljonowill Posts: 9 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Will this fix the GPS issue that materialised after the last update?

At the moment it's completely useless.

A mate purchased a Rider40 (which by the way was meant to be a 400 - but that's another story) at the same time and his is doing exactly the same thing - no gps signal at all.
  • usatravelusatravel Posts: 48 [Master Explorer]
    Since my change over from my old 950 live to the 6100 i have not added any poi
    Where can i get POI's for the USA it was easier on the home software as you could search and add as required
    the new mydrive doe not do that

Also after loading new software it took a few reboots before the unit would fully show the screens.
    also when selecting the setting button the unit would return back to the map instead
    the final reboot cleared this issue
  • JulianJulian Posts: 2,158 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

first of all, thanks a lot for your feedback.

@jonowill: I am really sorry to hear you are still facing this issue. :( You are kinda in the wrong category here, as this is a Rider-specific topic. The problem which you are facing unfortunately seems to be a connection between the software and the map, investigation is currently ongoing and we hope to offer a solution soon.

@dagenhamboy / @argeles: Could you please give us a little bit more information on this problem? Do I understand it correct that specific POI files are not in the list within the settings? Are these "public" POIs which we could download as well, so we can test it ourselves?

@Richard747: I know exactly what you are talking about! I can understand when this is rather frustrating for you, however I do wonder why you then continue to share the same MyDrive Login? You do not need to do that, unless you want to manage Routes, Places and POIs for both devices simultaneously... Your notion of our changes to the structure of the Email-login (or "multiple devices under one Email address) actually has nothing to do with this, so just to be clear: There is a big difference between a MyDrive Connect login (the login you need to manage updates for your devices) and a MyDrive login (the login you need to sync routes, places, etc.). So while you might want to have both devices under a single MyDrive Connect login, you probably prefer to handle two seperate MyDrive logins... To elaborate on this topic:

So is this now a feature, or a bug?
    It actually is the planned behavior. What you regard as a disadvantage, is another users' advantage - there are clear use cases where people love to be able to sync multiple devices at the same time.

Will this remain as it is, or will you do something about it?
    I am not in the position to make promises about this at this point, but I can rest you assured that my colleagues are aware of the inconveniences which are being caused by this. As far as I can tell improving this will be a bigger task, however the team surely will have it on their list.

Did customer support give me incorrect information then?
    Well, yes and no. :) Even though we might see something as a feature, we will always collect reports whenever people see something as a bug. Therefore, this was flagged internally in order to see how many reports we receive. My colleague probably saw this as a reason to communicate it as a problem.

Regards,

Julian
  • jonowilljonowill Posts: 9 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Julian,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have another mate that has not used the March update - his Rider is still working fine.
    Is there anyway to revert to the software before that particular update?
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Yaaaaaay! Finally the one button camera report. Well done ;)
  • usatravelusatravel Posts: 48 [Master Explorer]
    Well used the unit with the new software
    Found it had dropped the home location so had to reset
    Search appears to be slow to the point of freezing.
    after 1 min it appears to start working
    Like the new split screen on the motorway exits .......will that be the same on the USA map
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Yes, it should.............
  • klumarklumar Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi, Today I download new software. And now I have strange problem. You can see on my film. How to fixed.
    My Nav is TomTom Go 5100
    Maps Europe without buildings v985.8149
    [video]
    Try to do a soft reset. Press and hold the ON button, until you hear the drum roll.
    I tried. Still the same.
    Try a factory reset then. That will erase all settings and personal content though.
    After factory reset, problem not fixed.
    :( Then it is a bug in the new software.
    Probably Yes. Normally, I can still use my Navi. But this bug is sometimes annoying.
    Thanks for help :)