Via 1515 TM questions

Two questions about my VIA 1515TM
While driving I noticed a popup that said "device too warm charging halted." The device is supposed to be on the dash. There's no way to keep it cool and see the screen at the same time. This is bad design IMHO. My question: if I'm on a long daytime drive, will the device stop working since it's not charging?
Second question:
I'm planning a trip to Toronto Canada - I know they use KpH there. Will the TomTom convert the KpH to MpH or will I have to convert? Or will it show the KpH?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    You'll have to convert to kph yourself, if desired.

There are mounts that fit on a vent. Check the offerings at mountguys.com.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,503 Superusers
    Hi
    MPH to KPH... My Via 120 Live
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor four times for next page
    Tap (Units)
    Select Miles/Kilometres
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    No one gave me a good answer yet on if the device will stop working since it's not charging. I plan on a 10 hour drive in July. It's going to be hot. Yes, I'll have the A/C on in the car, but I'll have to stop for rest breaks and such so the car will be off at times. Yes, I plan on turning the GPS off while I'm out of the car.
    I already have a mount for the GPS and it holds it onto the dash where I can see it with a quick glance. Moving it to the vents would require a longer look and distracted driving.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    For those models with that functionality, yes, the device possibly could shut down if the battery ceases to be charged due to overheating.

That said, when you are out of the car, remove the device from the windshield and maybe put it on the floor of the car covered by something. Don't put it in the glove box.

Also, if the device does seem to shut down due to overheating, just hold the device in front of the A/C vent for about 5 minutes.
    Hi
    My Via 120 Live and GO 825 Live on the rare, very hot occasions in the UK, gave the "Stopping Charging Battery overheating" warning
    My device is Dashboard mounted, I simply propped a small piece of white card on the dash leaning against the back of the device, the card blocked the direct hit from the sun ... No more error messages

ATB YFM

Poor design. My old TomTom never overheated on the dash, in the sun, even in summer in Arizona. This Via 1515 will stop charging and shut down even when the a/c has been on for an hour and the temp in the car is 72 F, and we now live in Ohio. This began after I downloaded the last map update. It did not before, even in the hot sun.

Is TomTom going to do a fix on this or drive us to using Garmin instead?
  • HawgowarHawgowar Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    They have done nothing to fix this flaw. The stupid things are supposed to sit on the dash on on the windshield! When they flash and go off and on it distracts you when you are driving. NOT GOOD!!

Mine will cycle and recycle the message, go blank and then go back to normal screen several times before shutting down.

Tomtom, FIX THIS. I hope you get sued into bankruptcy if someone has an accident because the GPS flashing distracted them.
    Hi
    Re... Warning message "Charging stopped, system is to warm"
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium Battery is to overheat it
    When Tomtom first brought out the overheat control feature I was using a Via 120 Live and the overheat feature was kicking in
    I have the device mounted on the dashboard, so I cut a square of white card the width of the Via and the height from the Dash to the top of the Via
    Two blobs of Blu-Tack on the Dash with the white card leaning at an angle against the back of the Via
    The back of the via remained quite cool... The white card was taking the heat from the sun, no more overheat problems... Use at your own discretion
    Tomtom also sell vent mount kits the cool air blowing on the back of the device from the vent would help

ATB YFM