Runner 3 slow Bluetooth upload — TomTom Community

Runner 3 slow Bluetooth upload

CHR57CHR57 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
The upload from Runner3 with Bluetooth takes quite a lot of time with my iPhone 6.
Should it really take about 1-2 min to upload?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    That sounds about right. BT has pretty slow data transfer speeds and it will depend on your connection strength and the length of the activity as well. Just make sure you have a strong cellular connection (or even better a WiFi connection) so it does not drop out while it is uploading.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • CHR57CHR57 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    That sounds about right. BT has pretty slow data transfer speeds and it will depend on your connection strength and the length of the activity as well. Just make sure you have a strong cellular connection (or even better a WiFi connection) so it does not drop out while it is uploading.

That could be the answer but it can't be that match data to transfer. They could also compress it before transfer it or just send changes. It is 2017 and not 1999 :)
    Superusers
    BT only transmits at about 2-3 mbps, versus WiFi which can be 1,000+, and it is processing the data as it transfers (the watch does not have the processing power to parse the data). If you have several sensors on there is a fair amount of data being transmitted and processed.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • NickasteelNickasteel Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorry, this is ridiculous. How big are these files? I have to babysit this thing while it uploads and I pretty much can't use my phone while it's syncing as that seems to randomly stop the transfer. Long runs (20 miles+) can take more than 15 mins to sync. It should transfer all the data and then process it afterwards. 15 mins of solid transfer would equate to 225MBytes! Are you serious?
  • Erik_42195Erik_42195 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Indeed, the explanation offered by @tfarabaugh does not make any sense. Uploading a marathon takes around 20 minutes which cannot be explained by the BT transfer rate.

The transfer rates for BT3.0 and BT4.0 max out at 25 Mbits/sec. As an uncompressed marathon XML file is less than 3MB, total transfer should take around 1 second not 20 minutes!

I also agree that it is cumbersome to upload. Using my phone or plugging the watch in the charger will reset the upload and I can start over again. It really feels like there must be an easy fix here that will have a major impact on user satisfaction :-)
  • Erik_42195Erik_42195 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @tfarabaugh @lampard Sad to see TomTom does not take this issue seriously. Seems like an easy fix with a massive improvement in customer experience. Please look into it, the upload from watch to phone is slow and fragile. I have to babysit the phone and it often takes several attempts for it to succeed.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,806
    Superuser
    @Erik_42195

Only thing I can think is that BT1.0 protocol is being used :(
    Superusers
    Erik_42195 wrote:
    @tfarabaugh @lampard Sad to see TomTom does not take this issue seriously. Seems like an easy fix with a massive improvement in customer experience. Please look into it, the upload from watch to phone is slow and fragile. I have to babysit the phone and it often takes several attempts for it to succeed.
    @Erik_42195 TT Sports went out of business almost a year ago and ceased all production and development so this issue will not be resolved. They watches are now legacy products and will remain unchanged.