Apartment number / suite number on MyDrive & GO Mobile App — TomTom Community

Apartment number / suite number on MyDrive & GO Mobile App

Scottbook12Scottbook12 Posts: 3 [New Traveler]
I use the My Drive and Go App. As a salesman, I have my contacts and potential customers in my phone. Neither the App or My Drive will recognize any address with an Apartment number, suite number, or any other number after the road. It also can’t recognize a 9 digit zip code. This is a big problem for me. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Scott,

Welcome to the Community!

We currently support searching for house numbers and 5 digit zip codes in the US. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team.

Please, post back here if you have any further questions/suggestions :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @Scottbook12

You could try converting the 9 character ZIP code to a MapCode(@) here http://www.mapcode.com/getcoordst.html and using the resultant international code on your GO60S or MyDrive

Also see this thread https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-800-1000-2000-series-via-series-start-20-and-60-series-mydrive-connect-19/what-a-mapcode-and-how-do-i-use-it-511196
  • bigbig Posts: 1,565 Superuser
    Niall wrote:
    You could try converting the 9 character ZIP code to a MapCode(@) here http://www.mapcode.com/getcoordst.html and using the resultant international code on your GO60S or MyDrive
    @Niall That's a great idea, but I don't see any way to do that on the site. A ZIP code is not an option for search.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,563 Superuser
    @big

I was able to enter one in the form two "character state" nnnnn-nnnn eg 'FL 34952-9998'bed7f21e-983e-493b-b4d4-0f69c5ad13d0.jpg

Remember to use the international mapcode in MyDrive
    Thanks. I see -- need to enter the state code before the ZIP! (which kind of defeats the purpose partially). And that's even though context is "Florida" and the ZIP is specific to the state (and street) level. Anyhow, good find.
  • 800artfreed800artfreed Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You have to be kidding! The solution is to go through 1400 adresses and convert 9 digit zips to mapcodes! You make a product that relies on using the Android contract list. As a retired postal service employee that knows something about standard address formats you should be ashamed to make an application that fails to accept OR ignores apt codes and doesn't accepts 9 digit zips. Fix ths DEFECT! NO OTHER SOLUTION is reasonable.
  • SpecialdazeSpecialdaze Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This would be an AWESOME improvement! My 88-year-old mother still drives very well but has a tendency to get lost (LOL, always has, by the way, no sense of direction).

We recently moved her to a new apartment and the complex is huge and she is really struggling. Tomtom gets her to the front gate but then, even though it is only three turns, she gets hopelessly lost. Literally spent 1-1/2 hours looking for her unit the other day until the manager finally took her there!

If specific directions to HER apartment could be added to the route to her complex, it would be terrific. Will try the 9-digit zip meanwhile.
    Well, it sidesteps the issue about TomTom make 9-digit ZIPs available, but in your case, @Specialdaze, I would suggest setting her home location to her apartment parking spot rather than to the generic address of the front gate. That's easy to do on all the other TomTom models but I'm not sure how to do this on the new Via series. At the very least you can add a POI to be the "real" home location and have her drive to that instead.
  • SpecialdazeSpecialdaze Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you, Big! That is a great idea...I will see if I can do it. LOL, she CAN find her unit from her parking space ;) .
  • StealAwayStealAway Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    It's now SEP 2019, and Tom Tom GO still chokes on a 5+4 US Zip code. While it is nice that GO can be set as my default navigation app on my Android phone, many of my addresses have the 9-digit (5+4) format. Changing to a single 9-digit string (e.g., 123456789) instead of 12345-6789 made no difference. This really should be fixed. A 9-digit code should work ALONE and be preferred to the shorter one. Use of the longer code should obviate the need for a state code and, in many cases, a street address. Can't the Old Masters of Navigation FIX this?