Running during intervals

Sao1969
Sao1969 Registered Users Posts: 5
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Does anyone else find current pace during interval training frustrating? It's almost impossible to monitor actual pace as the watch takes at least half a 30 second interval to 'catch up'. Shouldn't be difficult to rectify surely? Increased sampling rate & drop any pace information from the preceding rest period would avoid the lengthy lag? Does anyone have experience of other watch brands? Are they all as bad?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    No watch has true "instant pace". It is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 4 years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now. If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Sao1969
    Sao1969 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Neophyte Traveler
    I get the need to sample over time but it seems a missed opportunity not do something different when the runner is using the interval training feature. Dropping any previous data as each work period starts shouldn't be impossible.

Thanks for the reply.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Not impossible, just not likely as there does not seem to be any real demand for it. They seem to be targeting a casual athlete for whom the basic training will be fine, assuming they use it at all. While it may be a useful feature, it needs to be something the majority of users would want in order to justify the resources needed to develop it and I just don't think the customer base for this watch has a high interest level for it (demand = resources). The development team monitors the forums and notes requests and trends, but in my experience on the forums I would not expect much to change but you never know. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.
  • kent davies
    kent davies Registered Users Posts: 91
    Supreme Trailblazer
    If you look at the forum, instance pace problems are well described. I believe there is enough demand so TomTom can address this issue.
  • countzero
    countzero Registered Users Posts: 12
    Outstanding Explorer
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Not impossible, just not likely as there does not seem to be any real demand for it. They seem to be targeting a casual athlete for whom the basic training will be fine, assuming they use it at all.
    I would agree, except that customers are reporting a broken instant pace across many of TomTom's sport watches, from the entry-level to "premium". At very least, I expect a device named the "Runner," targeted at runners, to correctly calculate such an important metric for runners, but even people with that watch are reporting a problem.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    While it may be a useful feature, it needs to be something the majority of users would want in order to justify the resources needed to develop it and I just don't think the customer base for this watch has a high interest level for it (demand = resources).
    This isn't a rare, esoteric, dream feature. All brands of GPS watches, including TomTom's, have been getting it right for years (probably even tens of years). It just seems that this feature was broken for this generation.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    My comments were not directed at instant pace as you are replying to, but to the original poster's idea of " Increased sampling rate & drop any pace information from the preceding rest period would avoid the lengthy lag". There is no doubt that the instance pace is not great and needs improvement.
  • countzero
    countzero Registered Users Posts: 12
    Outstanding Explorer
    Oh no, my mistake, I think I missed a post. Sorry!
  • elbo
    elbo Registered Users Posts: 49
    Apprentice Traveler
    My Suunto Ambit 3 combines the stepcounter with the gps to get a better reading for instant pace. This works quite good (a lot better than my TomTom Runner 2).

A good calibrated footpod works very well for actual pace and not so well for distance. GPS works good for distance and not at all for current pace. A combination of the 2 is the best.

Never the less, TomTom recent current pace calculations are the worst I've ever seen and should be fixed.