No Playlists showing on Spark music watch

Dutch52
Dutch52 Registered Users Posts: 5
Master Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Why aren't my playlists showing on my Spark watch? I created playlists in Windows Media Player, and synched them with my watch, No playlists listed on the watch. Have also used the My Connect App, and added them to the watch, still no playlists listed on the watch. Only listing is "All Music" All files are in correct format MP3 . When I view the watch on Windows Explorer, it only shows 10 playlists listed under music, even though I have added 20 playlists, I renamed the 10 lists, to identify them, but nothing shows up on the watch. All I want to do is select the playlist to go with my activity, but I cannot get a list of my playlists. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    Are all the tracks DRM free (unprotected)? It will not show protected tracks even if they are in the playlist. Here are the essentials for playlists, if you read through it you can check that everything is in compliance:

The MySports Connect application talks to Windows Media Player and iTunes (if they are installed) to query the playlists you have created (you cannot upload individual files; they need to be organized into playlists). These playlists are then listed when you connect your watch. This will include any video playlists created by WMP and iTunes, TT cannot control this, they can't tell a music playlist from a video playlist. To make it easier to load them, give the playlists distinctive names like "My Spark Playlist" or something similar so they are easier to find. You then use MySports Connect to copy the playlists you want to the watch. In iTunes & WMP you need to create playlists (the watch only plays playlists, not individual files as there is no folder system on the watch). Once you have the playlists created, dock the watch and hit the music note button on the Connect interface, which will take you to the Music screen where it will list all playlists on the computer. When you see the one you want to load, click on it to add it to the watch. Make sure the tracks are in the right format. If tracks are not in an acceptable format they will not play, nor will the playlists they are in.

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.

The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify. MySports Connect will not count any DRM tracks as part of a playlist, so if all the tracks in a playlist are DRM then the playlist will not be shown at all.

If you are not using Windows Media Player or iTunes then you need to create an .m3u or .m3u8 playlist file (various music programs do this) and then set the Playlist Root Folder. Press the Gear icon in MySports Connect and then scroll down to Advanced Settings and set the location here. The playlist root folder is searched (and sub-directories) for any .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files and those will be listed (along with any Windows Media Player/iTunes playlists) by MySports Connect when you connect your watch. This only needs to be done if you are not using WMP or iTunes; otherwise they search the default locations. The playlists need to be on a physical drive on your machine, it will not find cloud drives.

If using iTunes, check that iTunes is set to share libraries. You need to click the dropdown at the very top left and select Preferences. On the Advanced tab, make sure there is a check next to "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications".

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Dutch52
    Master Traveler
    Thanks for your reply. All files are in MP3 format. All the music is on the watch, but under the "All Music" heading, and plays OK, but all in a totally random order. No playlists are shown. I understand These normally show as a list under the All Music title, and then you can select the playlist and then select whether to play normal or shuffle the playlist.
    All I want is to see my playlists.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    When you open the Connect software and hit the music note icon is each playlist listed separately there?
  • Dutch52
    Master Traveler
    Yes all playlists I selected (20 of them) plus "All Music" are shown on computer screen.
  • Stuart McDonald
    Stuart McDonald Registered Users Posts: 759
    Exalted Navigator
    Hi. Can I first check some things. "created playlists in Windows Media Player, and synched them with my watch". You don't sync playlists from WMP to the watch. You create playlists in WMP when you open the Music page of Sports Connect the playlists should be shown there and you can then add them to the watch.
    "I renamed the 10 lists, to identify them, but nothing shows up on the watch". Don't rename the folders. There is a separate file which contains the names of those folders so if you rename them then the playlists won't appear on the watch.

There are 4 ways to put playlists onto the watch from a Windows machine
    - Using Windows Media Player to create the playlists. The playlists should then be shown in Sports Connect
    - Using iTunes to create playlists. The playlists should then be shown in Sports Connect
    - Using some other music manager and exporting the playlists as M3U/M3U8 playlist files and setting the 'Root music folder'. Sports Connect will search below the root music folder for the .m3u/.m3u8 files and show those playlists.
    - Copying a folder of tracks into the 'music folder of the drive which is mounted when you connect the watch and then using the refresh icon on the the music page of Sports Connect to turn it into a playlist of music (playlist will have the same name as the folder

Note that you can't copy DRM e.g. Apple Music tracks to the watch.

So in summary. You create the playlists in Windows Media Player. Open the music page of Sports Connect (you need to hit the refresh icon if you create the playlists after starting Sports Connect), and the playlists shown be shown as coloured boxes. Clicking on a box to add it to the watch (the tracks will be copied and the box will change to grey and show a watch icon to indicate the playlist is on the watch).

If you have copied files directly those won't be in playlists (they will appear in the All Music playlist of the watch). See the note above about creating a playlist by copying a folder of music.

You can delete all the files on the music drive of the watch if there are file you don't want, you can't break anything on the watch by doing so.

If you still have problems then uses the Submit App Data in the Advanced Section of Sports Connect to send the logs and I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Dutch52
    Master Traveler
    As per your comment above Sports Connect shows the playlists as coloured boxes, and when I click on the box it comes up with a tick to say that it is added to the watch. When I checked the watch, there were still no playlists showing. Reconnected watch to computer and checking in Windows explorer it showed the playlists in the music folder of the watch. I have since managed to get playlists on the watch, but this has been done my moving them between the music folders of the watch in Windows explorer.
    Only question I have left is how many playlists will the watch display? Sports Connect allows me to add 20 playlists, but I don't believe the watch will display 20 playlists.
    Thanks everyone for your useful comments. Hopefully I have got it sorted one way or another.
    Now to try and put some different playlists on my wife's new watch. Luckily I haven't got much hair to start with, so I won't be pulling anymore out when I get started on my wife's watch.
  • Stuart McDonald
    Stuart McDonald Registered Users Posts: 759
    Exalted Navigator
    Hi.
    If Sports Connect was showing the playlists as on the watch then I'm confused that the watch wasn't showing them. It maybe that something has got out of sync somewhere will the various changes. Deleting everything on the music drive would fix things if that is the issue. The only other thing I can think of is a problem with the name of the playlist (there was an issue with certain characters causing problems because of the parsing of the generated m3u playlist file, but that was a very long time ago).

It sounds like you are now putting the playlist on by copying a folder of tracks to the music drive of the watch, then when you connect to Sports Connect (or hit the refresh button on the Music page).

The watch should definitely be able to show 20 playlists.

You can check the status of what's on the watch by looking at the masterplaylist file in the music drive. It's the file the watch uses to find all the playlists, it should have an entry with the name and location of each playlist.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Dutch52
    Master Traveler
    Hi Stuart
    Thanks for all your help.
    I have just loaded my wife's new watch up with 20 playlists, and all working fine from the Sports Connect file.
    Having completed that OK, I have gone back to my own watch and deleted all music off the watch and then using Sports Connect have added 18 playlists.
    Both watches are now showing all play lists, so I am happy, and what is more important, my wife is happy.

Thanks again for your help.